Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #2401
Brypoint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I used Type F tranny fluid in mine.
Hmm I already ordered the 15W so It's on the way, It's PJ1 so I know it'll be good stuff. Any idea what weight Type F is?
Brypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #2402
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,527
I mixed 10w and 15w fork oil in mine so I guess it was 12.5w and it worked about as well as you make those POS forks work. You will be fine with the 15w. Nothing you do is going to make it have KTM suspension anyway. All you are really going for with another 1" or so of preload and heaver fork oil is to make it not bottom as often or as hard.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #2403
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I mixed 10w and 15w fork oil in mine so I guess it was 12.5w and it worked about as well as you make those POS forks work. You will be fine with the 15w. Nothing you do is going to make it have KTM suspension anyway. All you are really going for with another 1" or so of preload and heaver fork oil is to make it not bottom as often or as hard.
Well I haven't done any trail riding yet, all street so far. (only had the bike a few weeks and been replacing alot of parts) But do you think it will be a gain of say 10% better dampening over stock with 15w and a larger spacer?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #2404
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,527
It is hard to quantify. But your forks are not really sophisticated enough or big enough to ever work really well offroad. They do the job for trail riding. But you are never really going to improve the damping action. All you can really do is speed it up or slow it down with oil weight and volume.

Heavier oil will slow down the compression damping so it shouldn't bottom quite as hard or as often. And more spring preload will hold it up in the stroke a little more to resist diving. The two work together. But you don't want to go too heavy on the oil because then the forks won't rebound quickly enough and will pack up.

Remember, even by 1980's standards the XT350 was not the best out there for suspension. Jump on a DR350 if you ever get a chance and you will see what I mean. To me, the DR350 was the period benchmark for dual sport bikes. My XT was faster on the street. But the DR's were not as punishing offroad.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #2405
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Fyi

on my XT i have air fittings and my B/F did not

i went on ebay and purchase shock caps from a xt250 and they fit his bike fine

mines a 88 and his was a 2000

since he placed the air fittings his bike handle fine now

15 psi is what we run in the front forks
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #2406
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippets View Post
on my XT i have air fittings and my B/F did not

i went on ebay and purchase shock caps from a xt250 and they fit his bike fine

mines a 88 and his was a 2000

since he placed the air fittings his bike handle fine now

15 psi is what we run in the front forks
Wow yah I read about this a few posts back, seems interesting enough. Is it the whole top cap that gets replaced? What are you doing for oil in his bike? (weight and amount if you have it)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #2407
Brypoint
Adventurer

Got my new Kenda K761's today. 90/90-21 and 120/80-18 cant wait to get em on the bike! They cost me like 115$ with the two 11" irons. Their is like 60 reviews of them on Motorcyclesuperstore.com and like 98% of those have great things to say about these tires. Kinda wish they had a 130 rear tire but I guess 120 is ok too. Anyone about to buy some tires or gear from them lemme know, I have a 10%off whole purchase coupon from them. I'll be glad to PM you the code as I have two of these that expire in 2 months and I might use one.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #2408
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brypoint View Post
Kinda wish they had a 130 rear tire but I guess 120 is ok too.
I run a 120 rear on the TT350 and DR650.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #2409
mharizanov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
How do you guys find out which year is your XT350? The VIN is short 9-char 55V-0480XX* and I assume there are ranges that fall into different years? The seller claimed it is a '93 bike but I highly doubt it.

Apologies if this was answered previously in the 161 page thread, I only was able to read about 50 pages of it so far :)
mharizanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #2410
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
I got my gasket for the timing chain tensioner today.
I know its automatic but is there anyway to pre-load it for the first install?

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #2411
Brypoint
Adventurer

Thumbs down

Hey guys, my bike is a 2000 and supposedly only had 2k miles on it when I bought it. My question is do you think my headers look like this due to the bike running lean and living in Vegas all these years? I see all kinda of pics from you guys with 80's bikes and yer headers almost always seem nice and black. I'm sure not everyone has repainted theirs and it seems they just have better paint or running cooler?
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #2412
Brypoint
Adventurer

Also anything I can look for that might be a good sign of actual miles, the bike did seem to be all stock but judging the rear tire (I got new ones) it seems likely their is more then 2k miles on it.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #2413
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Got my new Kenda K761's today. 90/90-21 and 120/80-18 cant wait to get em on the bike! They cost me like 115$ with the two 11" irons. Their is like 60 reviews of them on Motorcyclesuperstore.com and like 98% of those have great things to say about these tires. Kinda wish they had a 130 rear tire but I guess 120 is ok too. Anyone about to buy some tires or gear from them lemme know, I have a 10%off whole purchase coupon from them. I'll be glad to PM you the code as I have two of these that expire in 2 months and I might use one.
I like the looks of those Kendas. Need to see if my guy (twobrotherstires.com) can get'em for me.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #2414
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Hey guys, my bike is a 2000 and supposedly only had 2k miles on it when I bought it. My question is do you think my headers look like this due to the bike running lean and living in Vegas all these years? I see all kinda of pics from you guys with 80's bikes and yer headers almost always seem nice and black. I'm sure not everyone has repainted theirs and it seems they just have better paint or running cooler?
That is mostly baked on dirt and dust.
Mine always look like that just before I paint them. It's actually very likely all of the nice black headers were freshly painted. The area right behind the front tire gets nasty looking really fast.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #2415
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
That is mostly baked on dirt and dust.
Mine always look like that just before I paint them. It's actually very likely all of the nice black headers were freshly painted. The area right behind the front tire gets nasty looking really fast.
Ok thanks Skid, I guess I'm gonna take em off and paint em. What do you think the likeyhood of those bolts stripping? I have an impact driver and a bottle of PB Blaster so hopefully I can coax em out. I was thinking of heat wrapping them too, think this is a good idea?