Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #2416
Brypoint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hurray for new tires!! (mounted em myself, first time ) Also new RK 428MXZ chain, front and back brakes. Man what a huge difference new brakes make. I let my friend take a ride a few weeks ago and he took off and I was like, guess I should have told him about the brakes

(lol on a side note all my pics end up at night cause I always seem to finish everything by the end of the day)
Attached Images

Brypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #2417
Brypoint
Adventurer

Ok this where you guys have your rear brake light linkage hooked up? The brake light was staying on a few weeks ago cause it was pulled way too far out. So I took it off, but when I went to put it back on today, it was so long ago I forgot lol. Well seems right to me albeit a little flimsy as yer boots rest against it....
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #2418
mharizanov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
BRYPOINT,

you have it wrong, it has to go behind the frame, not in front of it. your seems forced into that position, try mirroring. I suppose it was bent to fit this way so you may need to try to fit it the original way.
mharizanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #2419
Brypoint
Adventurer

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharizanov View Post
BRYPOINT,

you have it wrong, it has to go behind the frame, not in front of it. your seems forced into that position, try mirroring. I suppose it was bent to fit this way so you may need to try to fit it the original way.
Hmm yah ok I'll try it, couldn't find any room back their but you must be right, it just seems to hoaky in the front.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #2420
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brypoint View Post
Hmm yah ok I'll try it, couldn't find any room back their but you must be right, it just seems to hoaky in the front.
There isn't any room back there.

But it's the correct place.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #2421
Brypoint
Adventurer

Uhh am I missing something in my exhaust? I've seen pics of older bikes and they have some sort of cap on the end of their stock pipes.I assumed I didn't have one because mine is a 2000 model? I'm not mad because it sounds ok not too loud or too quiet, but it seems like something is missing. Their isn't any bolt holes or threads or anything it would seem to go their...

Oh btw that's my new Moose fender bag I mounted today. Pain in ass to mount but im glad its on their now. Like 30$ has a bunch of storage compartments. The back little bag is an unfolding jacket bag.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
Attached Images

Brypoint screwed with this post 07-24-2011 at 12:54 AM
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #2422
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 499
It's just a spark arrestor. I just took mine out. It sounds pretty tits now!!!
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #2423
yzergod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
That Moose tail bag looks great! You are missing the spark arrestor assembly. Most XT's are missing them due to the tiny main jet size. I wish I could find one! They let out too much exhaust and can cause problems if you don't rejet. The assembly runs over $100 and the bikes run better with a bit of back pressure in stock form. What would you rather have; a cool sounding bike with poor performance or a quiet bike with good performance? Me, I don't want to be a Hardley Dangerous and like the stealth!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #2424
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzergod View Post
That Moose tail bag looks great! You are missing the spark arrestor assembly. Most XT's are missing them due to the tiny main jet size. I wish I could find one! They let out too much exhaust and can cause problems if you don't rejet. The assembly runs over $100 and the bikes run better with a bit of back pressure in stock form. What would you rather have; a cool sounding bike with poor performance or a quiet bike with good performance? Me, I don't want to be a Hardley Dangerous and like the stealth!
You can only buy the whole pipe correct? Or do you mean 100$ for just the spark arrestor? Definetly would rather put that 100$ toward a lighter less restrictive pipe. I never could quite understand back pressure. I'm from the more-air-in more-air-out school.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #2425
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
It's just a spark arrestor. I just took mine out. It sounds pretty tits now!!!
Your right it does sound pretty good. Lol all this time I thought it was the stock sound and I was like man that's kinda loud for stock. The only time I have trouble is when I go out late night, I live in an apartment and when she needs a little choke time it's a little noisy right near other peoples doors lol. How much different would you say it sounds Calk seeing you just did yers?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #2426
Brypoint
Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post

If you wanted another front end you can ditch the stock speedo and install a Vapor TrailTech and run any front end you want.

Ray
These Vapor's use the same kind of speedo and tach cables? I was thinking they used some sort of modern electronic devices that wouldn't hook up to our bikes.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #2427
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
The only time I have trouble is when I go out late night, I live in an apartment and when she needs a little choke time it's a little noisy right near other peoples doors lol.
Same here. My favorite time to ride is at night. So, now it's a pain. Sometimes I don't care, and just go have fun!

Quote:
How much different would you say it sounds Calk seeing you just did yers?
It's a touch louder, but not bad. My ridin buddy is pissed, because it sounds just like what he wants. But, his DR came with a Yosh pipe can on it. I think mine now has the sound that I always wanted, and I thought that sound was the "SuperTrapp" sound. I don't remember what my TT600 sounded like anymore. It had a 4" SuperTrapp on it. I know it was loud!!
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #2428
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
These Vapor's use the same kind of speedo and tach cables? I was thinking they used some sort of modern electronic devices that wouldn't hook up to our bikes.
They use some sort of modern electronic devices that do hook up to our bikes
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #2429
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
........ I never could quite understand back pressure. I'm from the more-air-in more-air-out school.

There is quality of the air flow.
You don't want straight open exhaust, you want it tuned so the pressure wave creates a low pressure behind it much like a two stroke in reverse.
This low pressure helps evacuate the cylinder.
It is what creates a wide powerband, where a full on open exhaust might make more peak power but its not going to have the torque you like at a wide spread rpm range.

So there is a happy balance between to little and to much back pressure.
Thats it in a nut shell.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #2430
Brypoint
Adventurer

Well I had her out tonight out Red Rock Canyon. Got up to about 80mph but wind seem to be holding me back good. Now the seemingly small oil ooze I had in my side cover by the decomp cable ended up all over my side fairing. Not a lot by any means but the bike drips a couple drops at night and oozes onto the top of the case under the carbs. I guess I need to order a gasket and replace? Should I also use a sealant togo with the new gasket? If so what brand and gimme any tips on replacing that gasket without messing anything up.