Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #16
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
The headlight will always dim at idle because it's run directly off the magneto on AC. If you switch to a led taillight and turnsignals, led instrument lightbulbs you might have enough Watts left over for heated grips. You could also send the stator to Ricky Stator or Baja Designs to get rewound for higher output.
Make sure the auto decompression cable has 2-3mm free play at the end of the exhaust valve lever to work properly for easy starting. Off course the engine has to be tuned properly, good plug, valve clearance right, aircleaner clean and the carb jetted properly. It also helps tremendously to run synthetic oil in it.

TTKlaus
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
This weekend was such a tease! I gotta get the leak fixed on my xt350 so I can go riding

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Here is my XT before going on a ride last weekend

and a few pics from the ride

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
FatboyXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
YEH, a thread for us lonely/lowly XT350 riders!!!

Yes, it is true, the XT350 does nothing well. No electric start, poor suspension, weak motor, no aftermarket ect!

But it is a pretty good compromise for some. You can but some miles on the freeway, hit some tame singletrack, blast down some twisty blacktop all while getting 50-60mpg without hating any of it and all the while having under $2k invested and paying $125 a year for insurance.

A buddy and me rode ours from San Diego to La Paz, Baja. Then hopped on the ferry for the boat ride to the Mexico mainland, docking at Matazlan (sp?). Then we rode down the Pacfic coast to a point about 125 miles south of Acapulco. From there we then headed inland and turned north to Mexico City and from there back towards San Diego along the gulf.

We did this by camping almost the whole trip with only one bike related problem besides a couple of flat tires and the limited fuel range causing us few tense moments. Such as bumming some gas off of a Telephone Lineman and having the Polica tell me to siphon some gas out of the totaled Toyota pickup before they hauled it away!

I will post up some minor mods I did to help it run better a little later.
FatboyXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
FatboyXT
Adventurer

Here are somethings I did to help the suspension a little...remember there isn't much you can do with out spending big bucks!

Front forks...Tear down, clean, refill with a good 15wt oil and use about 330cc of oil. Stock is 10wt at 319cc. Then I run about a 2" spacer for a little more preload. To much preload and your front end will be skating around. More oil helps with bottoming, thicker oil helps with slowing down the travel (rebound to). I run the forks flush with the top triple clamp. A set of stiffer springs would make a world of difference. No air for those of you with air caps.

Rear Suspension. Not much I could do there. I did move the clip on the spring to its lowest position to get a little more preload. From what I have seen on most XT's is that the clip that holds the top of the spring in place is in the middle of the three possible positions. A stiffer spring and better valving is needed here.

My goal is to find a cheap TT and swap suspension.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #21
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
My 2000 XT. Just a decent little enduro bike. Light duty pretty much, but I rode mine all over Colorado a couple of summers, and just had to be careful I didn't bottom the soft rear shock. I did a few changes to mine. I highly reccommend changing the front brake hose out to a stainless braided hose. Those big long fat rubber brake hoses are robbing you of half the brake's power. After the first trip to the mountains, I regeared it with a 3 tooth larger rear sprocket. It has Kenda Trackmaster tires on it. Great for the dirt, a bit slippery on pavement if you're leaning it over a lot, but they are street legal. First thing I did was replace the mirror with an Acerbis, install the Maier handguards, and pull those huge turnsignals off and mount up the little mini's.
I always thought the 2000 was a nice looking bike.

13,000 ft near Monarch, Colorado. First trip out there with it. Geared too tall for this type of riding.

Bake screwed with this post 02-29-2008 at 11:15 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #22
FatboyXT
Adventurer

Jetting the XT can be a little tricky because of the dual carb setup.

First off drill out the plug over the mixture screw.

Then shim the needle up with a washer, one of the sites suggest getting the needle from a TT350 since it has the grooves and circlip to adjust it with.

Then I purchased another pilot jet and with those tiny drill bits I drilled out the pilot jets one step at a time until the screw was at 1.5 to 2 turns out and it was running a little rich, then I went back to the last size(that is why you buy a second one).

Be careful with the adjustment for the butterfly on the secondary carb. If you go to far the thing will run great in the mid to upper range but it will not idle.

I have heard about people messing with the springs and airjet on the CV slides.

It doesn't hurt to open the airbox a little and the exhaust too. I have a Cobra exhaust which really opens it up and saves a few pounds. Problem is that it is too loud. So right now I am running the stock exhaust with the screen out.

It starts very easy when warm and takes only a couple of kicks when cold.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:36 AM   #23
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Do you guys know if the TT350 and XT350 share intake manifold boots? I just picked up an 86 TT350. As far as I know the motor and carbs are the same, I'm curious what the actually changes were from the TT to the XT (obviously the electrical system). I'm searching for a few used parts.
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #24
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
On Tomichi Pass, Colorado.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #25
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatboyXT
No air for those of you with air caps.....

Rear Suspension. Not much I could do there.....
What do you mean no air?

You can actualy get an aftermarket rear spring for the xt350, check out the first few posts in the thread, one of the links I posted will get you to it.... I think it is the xt350 page that has some mods on it.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #26
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer

TT vs XT350

The primary gearing is different between the TT and the XT, the oilpump has a nylon gear on the XT, metal on the TT. The airbox flows much better on the TT. I believe the intake valves and perhaps also the cam is different. And I thought the carb is slightly larger on the TT. All that gives you about 3 HP more on the TT.
The trick with the carbs is to get the 2 carbs more balanced. On the TT the stock jetting is 122 primary/125 secondary. I run 118/120 on my TT. I also run a ported head and a K&N filter. I did go back to the stock exhaust many years ago beacause of noise, and also found out that the bike was actually easier to ride on singletrack in the woods. The powerband is much smoother and broader, and it's in stealth mode.

TTKlaus
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #27
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTKlaus
The primary gearing is different between the TT and the XT, the oilpump has a nylon gear on the XT, metal on the TT. The airbox flows much better on the TT. I believe the intake valves and perhaps also the cam is different. And I thought the carb is slightly larger on the TT. All that gives you about 3 HP more on the TT.
The trick with the carbs is to get the 2 carbs more balanced. On the TT the stock jetting is 122 primary/125 secondary. I run 118/120 on my TT. I also run a ported head and a K&N filter. I did go back to the stock exhaust many years ago beacause of noise, and also found out that the bike was actually easier to ride on singletrack in the woods. The powerband is much smoother and broader, and it's in stealth mode.

TTKlaus
So can you swap the carb and air box off the tt and put it on an xt?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #28
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonridr
So can you swap the carb and air box off the tt and put it on an xt?
I'll check my manual later and tell you what size my carbs are, I think they are 2mm larger than the XT carbs, the intake valves are 1mm larger. Swapping the airbox would not be an easy task, the TT box uses the entire triangle space behind the shock, up to the seat and from left to right. You would have to make mounting brackets and find a different place for the battery. I think you'd be better off getting a K&N filter and jet it right, definetely more bang for your buck, and take off the airbox snorkels.

TTKlaus
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #29
VegasRider
Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer: 296
That dang TW200 thread prompted me to take a look on CraigsList. No luck. nothing at all.

Then I found this cute little XT350 here: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/606615891.html Does that look like a good deal? It's by where I work so I called & will probably go take a look next week.

So, stupid question... Are these kick-start only?
1991 Suzuki VX800 - "Vixen" (my "project" bike) In the process of being adventurized.
2004 Harley Davidson XL1200C Sporty. "Athena"
VegasRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
StuckXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Yea, its a kick start only bike. It does have a decompression release and mine always starts on the first or second kick, usally first. Looks like a nice bike, did you get a chance to check it out?
-Steve