Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #3121
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiesol View Post
I like them too. I believe the only one available for the XT350 is the 4 gal like I have, but I've gone 220 miles on it before filling up and there was still some fuel left in the tank. Man I love this bike. Blew the low beam the other night though. I spent half my Saturday trying to track down a bulb locally but ended up having to order it. Picked up two so I'm covered the next time. I need a new rear tire as well. Looking for suggestions on a DOT legal knobbyish tire. What are you guys happy with?
I bought Shinko 244's for my XT and I like them.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
I ride two lane black top 90% of the time and when I off road it's hard packed, dusty, rock strewn single track. They're cheap and they wear well...mine have 6000 km on them and the front has hardly any wear, while the back is at about 60%. I can email you some pics if you like. You may have to get them out of the states, as I couldn't find them in Ontario at the time.
Cheers!
Captain Caution
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #3122
EATPharmD
Hiding out

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatmore Mudd View Post
I am digging that Clarke tank. I may have to get me one.
Here you go!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830019

Before

After

As you can see I also swapped out the Gonzo nose front fender
EATPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #3123
Indiesol
Putz

Oddometer: 46
I finally picked up a donor rear shock for my XT yesterday. $38.24 shipped and it looks to be in pretty good condition.

My plan is to swap the stock spring on the donor shock for a Hypercoil spring with a 600lb spring rate. It should help with the bottoming out in the back. If it doesn't, or it's worse, I can just put the original one back on. I've heard/read good things about this modification though.

The long way home from work....

Hunter S. Thompson
Indiesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #3124
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
[QUOTE=Indiesol;19905407]I finally picked up a donor rear shock for my XT yesterday. $38.24 shipped and it looks to be in pretty good condition.

My plan is to swap the stock spring on the donor shock for a Hypercoil spring with a 600lb spring rate. It should help with the bottoming out in the back. If it doesn't, or it's worse, I can just put the original one back on. I've heard/read good things about this modification though.

Yes, please do post the results. I'd like to upgrade my bike too, as I usually have to stand on it with the sidestand down to kick it over, which almost makes me fall over now, as the shock weakens.
Cheers!
C.C.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #3125
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
My XT hasn't been out'a the garage since I got back from Flagstaff in August. Need to give her some exercise.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #3126
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caution View Post
Yes, please do post the results. I'd like to upgrade my bike too, as I usually have to stand on it with the sidestand down to kick it over, which almost makes me fall over now, as the shock weakens.
Cheers!
C.C.
I also would really like to hear about some results with the hypercoil 600 lb spring.

Also- I've had the rear shock out of my bike, but it was not obvious how to change the spring. Could someone who's done it post up a brief how-to?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #3127
Mr. BigWheel
b00b

Oddometer: 749
Does anyone have any advice on removing the seal on the front caliper of a late eighties XT?

The main seal on the piston (the one that is deeper in the bore) comes out easily enough but the bellows-type dust seal is giving me fits. The seal might even be the original but I'm ripping it to shreds in the process of extracting it. Is there a circlip or something I'm missing?

Any advice to stop the headbanging would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 10-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #3128
Indiesol
Putz

Looking for a primary/secondary carb set. If anyone has one, please send me a message.

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #3129
Indiesol
Putz

I mounted my Hypercoil spring to the donor shock I picked up off eBay. Hopefully I'll have it installed tomorrow.

Here's a quick mockup of my ammo can saddle bags. I had to swap out the blinkers for ones with shorter stems to fit with the pannier mounts. I like the looks and will permanently mount the bags tomorrow as well as install the matching front signals.

Hunter S. Thompson

Indiesol screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 02:09 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #3130
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

Looks good!

What year is your bike? Earlier in this thread someone posted that the rear shock got longer in 87 or 88, but it's not clear if the spring stayed the same or not.

GaMtnRider screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 07:30 AM
GaMtnRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #3131
Indiesol
Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMtnRider View Post
Looks good!

What year is your bike? Earlier in this thread someone posted that the rear shock got longer in 87 or 88, but it's not clear if the spring stayed the same or not.
My bike is a '92. The shock came off an '89. I looked at the microfiche for years '85, '89 and '92 and all use the same part number rear shock assembly (at least, according to BikeBandit).

Re: Removal, I just started unthreading things from the adjuster side. Had to use a bit of PB blaster but it eventually came apart.

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #3132
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
TT 350 rebuild

Hi All

The TT350 rebuild has finally past a significant hurdle in the new carbie setup. I've deleted the original parallel carbie format, built steel manifolds angled at ~ 13degrees to the inlet port face for a straighter inlet tract and used 34mm ID fuel pipe as the connectors between manifold and carbie. This means the carbies are now "splayed" instead of parallel which has of course significantly altered the mechanical linkages between primary and secondary carbies.

Fabricating a new contact plate / arm for the secondary and setting it up to achieve the correct secondary throttle positions was an exercise in patience and persistence but the job is done. The secondary throttle cracks at 3.3mm of carbie slide clearance on the primary and at full slide clearance (100% primary) the secondary throttle is at midline ---- perfect.

This was a significant win for me - there were periods when that dear little secondary carbie was absolutely gonna be replaced with another cable operated carbie like the left primary.

So there's a few pics coming - I'd had enough of the whole thing by the time the secondary was working correctly

Next phase is the dual oil coolers ...... too easy .....
Lenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #3133
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

My 600lb Hypercoil spring came in Tuesday. Installed last night. Couple pics below.

Without having ridden the bike, only sat on it, first impression is that it is definitely better than stock, but I think I would like it a little stiffer, mostly because there is so little dampening.
Spring rate feels similar to my XR400 but the dampening is so much better on the XR.

I'll try to take it for a little spin tonight and see she rides.
Update: Definitely better. Looking forward to taking her over some of the jumps that used to bottom out the rear shock.

Next up - shore up front suspension more than the 20wt shock oil and longer spacers I have already done.
Planning on the Progressive springs and maybe a gold valve emulator- if someone has found one that fits.

GaMtnRider screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 06:34 AM
GaMtnRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #3134
Indiesol
Putz

Bike started running rough while riding about sixty miles an hour, as if she was running out of gas. I flipped over to reserve, which seemed to help things, but I still had half a tank of gas. I turned around and headed home, and by the time I got home, even with the reserve on, which was my temporary fix, the bike was sometimes dying at idle.

Bike is a '92 with a new Clarke tank that only has about 1000 miles on it. Plenty of oil. I've had the bike since 3500 miles and it has 5400 on it now and it ran great up until this weekend. Hadn't rebuilt the carbs yet because the bike ran so well.

Obviously I'll check the fuel valve as well, but this will be the first time I've taken the carbs apart on this bike. Any tips or tricks? Any chance I can avoid having to sync these things? I sometimes have a hard time with that part. I seem to remember reading somewhere in this thread about carefully removing the link between the two carbs? Can anyone expand on that a bit ? Thanks.

A few days before she started running rough on some random logging road in Washington.....

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #3135
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
You likely needs new intake boots.
you will have to remove the carbs, but won't have to mess with them.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote