Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
blender OP
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Question - Nat Geo GPS USA software

Has anyone tried the National Geographic GPS USA product described here:
http://www.rei.com/product/715100

It appears compatible with *most* units: http://ngmaps.arielmis.net/support/gps/ I plan to use with a Garmin Zumo 450. Altho that unit isn't listed it *should* be similar to the GPSIII+ and StreetPilot series. I hope....

I ask as this seems one of the few routing packages that is compatible with the Mac. Yeah, I run Bootcamp on my MacBook but I just can't get used to using Mapsource.

For $25 it's worth a chance. Lord knows I've pissed away more $$ than that on farkles that didn't work out....
Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
blender OP
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Answered my own question

Apparently no has tried this package so I decided to answer my own question. For $25 my expectations were not high, and this package didn't meet even those.

First off, it does have a feature to check for & download updates. I tried that *four* times. The download would get to about 50% complete then just stop. I tried both Safari & Firefox, nothing worked. I might try downloading the Mac update using the Win XP machine at work.

2nd: Map resolution is not great, it's rather small-scale. You can zoom in but only up to a point. For fine resolution you have to buy additional map CDs from Nat Geo.

3rd: Rouing is rudimentary at best. The route tool basically draws a line along the path you want. You use another part of the tool to create a GPS rout that follows roads. AFA I can tell there is no way to manipulate/modify the route once created. I might actually have to read the manual to figure out how to do waypoints (I *think* this package can do that).

4th: The GPS upload/download does not recognize the Mac USB ports. There is a Preference option to set the GPS parameters, however I was unable to update any of the options.

5th: It doesn't recognize the Zumo. I pretty much expected that and might try the Garmin III+ (However I don't think my USB-to-serial conversion cable will work).

Those are just a few of the things I've found so far. All-in-all this is a worthless package. Looks like for my purposes I'll continue using the Windoze stuff and the Mac/Win dual-boot setup. At least with Mapsource I was able to create, manipulate, and upload a route to the Zumo. Oh how I wish Garmin would *finally* release a Mac version like they promised a year ago.....

Update: I downloaded the Mac version ugrade via my office Win/XP system and did a sneaker-net install to the Mac. The upgrade appeared to add spiffy new button icons, and *possibly* fix the USB issue (altho it still doesn't recognize the Zumo). All-in-all this is still a disappointing package.

Definitely Not Recommended.

blender screwed with this post 09-28-2007 at 08:34 PM
blender is offline   Reply With Quote