Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,735
Zumo off road?

Have only used the Garmin III, V, & Rino units. Ridden with guys using the Streetpilots & they seem to hold up fine...

How does the Zumo hold up to serious off-road use??
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
Have only used the Garmin III, V, & Rino units. Ridden with guys using the Streetpilots & they seem to hold up fine...

How does the Zumo hold up to serious off-road use??
20mph biff on a muddy dirt road. First thing I checked was the Zumo. Next was me. Zumo was in better shape. My shoulder hurt for weeks.

After that I went ahead and used it on the trails around Cloudcroft NM. Original plan was to use the Zumo for the dual sport riding (fire roads) the first day, then switch to my old etrex Vista for the singletrack riding.

I have it in the RAM mount that came with it. Biggest risk I think is an object to the screen, but there isn't much you can do to protect that since its a touch screen. I think the protective screen films would be a good idea though. I'll order one soon.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,703
Like the many replies of "no problem", they have no information content. The only valuable answer to your question is from people who have had a problem with a product. If enough people respond negative or someone knows of a lot of problems then you have some information. The question is what small percentage have had a problem not the fact that lots of people have not had a problem. If the product just plain fails every one would know but some products are not as strong as others. I know of several 76s that have failed due to vibration yet I am not aware of any 60s that have failed. I still prefer the 76 knowing that it has a problem with vibration.

The same result is happening on the GPS60C RAM mount redesign question. The author obviously already knows there is a problem yet people keep reporting that they have not had a problem.

On the subject of Zumo off-road, do you use tracks? The Zumo does not support them in the standard Garmin way. There are a couple of threads on this subject.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Like the many replies of "no problem", they have no information content. The only valuable answer to your question is from people who have had a problem with a product. If enough people respond negative or someone knows of a lot of problems then you have some information. The question is what small percentage have had a problem not the fact that lots of people have not had a problem. If the product just plain fails every one would know but some products are not as strong as others. I know of several 76s that have failed due to vibration yet I am not aware of any 60s that have failed. I still prefer the 76 knowing that it has a problem with vibration.

The same result is happening on the GPS60C RAM mount redesign question. The author obviously already knows there is a problem yet people keep reporting that they have not had a problem.

On the subject of Zumo off-road, do you use tracks? The Zumo does not support them in the standard Garmin way. There are a couple of threads on this subject.
I see your point, but oddly enough I'd probably fall into the "no problems" category with my Garmin units (V, III+, Rinos) - many, many miles of Baja, for sure a crash or two, or three, ... four ... well needless to say they've seen a hard life & never missed a beat (other than loose antennas & many broken Touratech mounts).

Just curious if the general intent for the Zumo was more of a "road" unit vs dualsport/offroad.

Heard something about the different in tracks - as long as I can still create them somehow, I don't mind adapting. I'll look up some of those threads in any case...

inte screwed with this post 09-27-2007 at 09:38 AM
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Update ... I just called Garmin ... according to them the tracks should be compatible between units, as long as they're created in Mapsource.

My question/concern was would I be able to use tracks I created in my previous GPS units in the new Zumo - their answer was yes with the caveat that if autorouting was used the routes could go haywire as the newer Mapsource software will have updated roads that previously might not have existed.

If only waypoints & routes are used, everything should transfer over fine, according to Garmin.

Zumo's on it's way, we'll see...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Update ... I just called Garmin ... according to them the tracks should be compatible between units, as long as they're created in Mapsource.

My question/concern was would I be able to use tracks I created in my previous GPS units in the new Zumo - their answer was yes with the caveat that if autorouting was used the routes could go haywire as the newer Mapsource software will have updated roads that previously might not have existed.

If only waypoints & routes are used, everything should transfer over fine, according to Garmin.

Zumo's on it's way, we'll see...
I think you might be confusing Tracks with Routes?

Tracks record where you have been. The problem as I understand it is that the Zumo doesnt give you any control of the sampling rate/method - so its very easy for it to fill its buffer (of 50k points or some such).
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
I think you might be confusing Tracks with Routes?

Tracks record where you have been. The problem as I understand it is that the Zumo doesnt give you any control of the sampling rate/method - so its very easy for it to fill its buffer (of 50k points or some such).
Zumo takes tracks from Mapsource and turns them into routes. You follow the route instead of a track. However you can follow any track that you rode in the last two days or so.

Between the active and archive logs, I figure you could ride for a month and still have your tracks recorded.
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The lied they are not "compatable" but they can comunicate in a workaround fashion. As stated by others, if you try to load a track from your PC into the Zumo, the only option the Zumo gives is to convert it to a route. Not sure how many of the track points convert to route points. Also you must have auto routing off to follow the old track.

I provide tracks to customers for my Dual Sport (now Adventure Bike) rides. I have a customer with a Zumo entered in the next one on 10/6-7. We will see how it works.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
The lied they are not "compatable" but they can comunicate in a workaround fashion. As stated by others, if you try to load a track from your PC into the Zumo, the only option the Zumo gives is to convert it to a route. Not sure how many of the track points convert to route points. Also you must have auto routing off to follow the old track.

I provide tracks to customers for my Dual Sport (now Adventure Bike) rides. I have a customer with a Zumo entered in the next one on 10/6-7. We will see how it works.
I just did a test of that with an old track. Seems to come in as a route exactly following the track. With autorecalc off, you can follow it. I just don't know what the voice prompts will be like though.

Pulling tracks off the zumo is like on other units and you can manipulate them in Mapsource. Only time it gets interesting is with the archive track files. It auto creates those when you reach 10,000 points in the main track log file. You access them from the zumo drive letter when it is connect to the pc instead of using the Transfer option in Mapsource. They are in the GPX/archive directory.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher
I just did a test of that with an old track. Seems to come in as a route exactly following the track. With autorecalc off, you can follow it. I just don't know what the voice prompts will be like though.

Pulling tracks off the zumo is like on other units and you can manipulate them in Mapsource.
I don't think voice prompt is of much value to dirt riders anyway.

Can you upload the route that was derived form a track to determine if the route has as many route poinits and the track had track points?

Other question, is there any way to download a track into the Zumo's Active Log?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
I don't think voice prompt is of much value to dirt riders anyway.

Can you upload the route that was derived form a track to determine if the route has as many route poinits and the track had track points?

Other question, is there any way to download a track into the Zumo's Active Log?
Zumo Routes and tracks overlay exactly on Mapsource. In the conversion process, I think Zumo puts in as many points as it needs to replicate the track. But I am not sure if I can even see the number of points it really uses/makes. You certainly can not see points in any other route except maybe a few viapoints but that means nothing as you could have zero for a 3000 miles crosscountry.

There are two normal files in the GPX directory on the Zumo - Current and Temp.

Current.gpx has all your favorites/viapoints, routes and the lastest tracks (10K limit before archive). Although I have not done it you possibly could replace the tracks in the current file with "Countdown Special Trip Tracks" but remember that depending on size yours may end up being archived during the next trip as the Zumo automatically starts adding new tracks as soon as you turn it on.

I will try to see if I can put some old archive log files back into the active log for grins.

Looks like the the Temp file is constructed in the process when you download routes/viapoints to the Zumo from Mapsource. My last one was constructed when I downloaded routes for CO in August.
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
TwoHondas, I think I have a similar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
Although I have not done it you possibly could replace the tracks in the current file with "Countdown Special Trip Tracks" but remember that depending on size yours may end up being archived during the next trip as the Zumo automatically starts adding new tracks as soon as you turn it on.

I will try to see if I can put some old archive log files back into the active log for grins.

Looks like the the Temp file is constructed in the process when you download routes/viapoints to the Zumo from Mapsource. My last one was constructed when I downloaded routes for CO in August.
Thank you for your efforts in helping the rest of us understand our Zumos better.

I have the Zumo 550 and so far I like it however I am not sure that I can do the following; while riding along I would like to see the routes that myself or others have used in the same general area.

Since SD memory is cheap and there is lots of memory available I can load lots of routes into the Zumo but I do not know of any way to display all of the previous routes in the same area that I am currently riding.

I know how to select a single route that others have used previously and the Zumo will also select the preferred roads to the start of the route if I allow it to do that but I know of no way to highlight all of the others routes that are stored in memory.

The currently active trail of breadcrumbs is highlighted but nothing older.

Any suggestions?

Carl
OffRoadCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
I have been using a zumo550 now since it's release. I have been through all of the firmware updates and I believe that I am aware of all of the short comings of this GPSr with respect to off-road riding. The zumo is a very solid device. The weak point, if any, is the Garmin Base. I use a Touratech mount (non-MvG) and have had no problems - and as Jon knows, I fall down on occasion.

As for Tracks and Routes, I think Jerry and I have had this discussion in another thread before. Yes, it is important to give facts when describing how the zumo's (and other Garmin GPSr's) use Tracks and Routes.

I have created, and imported, several hundred off-road Tracks with the zumo550 and there are no problems maintaining a faithful track representation on the zumo. Yes, they get converted to Routes. So what, as long as the route is faithful. I would be very happy to spend my time analyzing any Track to validate it's conversion to a zumo Route and it's faithful representation on Garmin maps relative to lat/lon position.

As for creating Tracks, the zumo's do that just fine. Do you get all of the user selectable options for track-point time/distance placement as some of the other Garmin GPSr's provide - No. I have not found a need for these options and I used a 276c for three years.

By the way - Howdy Jon!

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Side note ...

Just received my Zumo ... saw the power cable that plugs into the GPS with the two bare wires at the other end.

Curious what the best way to connect the power to a 2006 BMW GS 1150 Adv is.

Direct to battery?
Splice in someplace?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadCruiser
Thank you for your efforts in helping the rest of us understand our Zumos better.

I have the Zumo 550 and so far I like it however I am not sure that I can do the following; while riding along I would like to see the routes that myself or others have used in the same general area.

Since SD memory is cheap and there is lots of memory available I can load lots of routes into the Zumo but I do not know of any way to display all of the previous routes in the same area that I am currently riding.

I know how to select a single route that others have used previously and the Zumo will also select the preferred roads to the start of the route if I allow it to do that but I know of no way to highlight all of the others routes that are stored in memory.

The currently active trail of breadcrumbs is highlighted but nothing older.

Any suggestions?

Carl
No, You can only display one route at a time. That is why it is important to Name your routes so that they convey their position/location in a meaningful way.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote