User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #1
longdude17 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Tiger 955i or Versys??????

So Ive been on the look out for a super cheap adv bike for a few months and as the weather is warming here in the deep south, more and more bikes are popping up for sale. Granted I really don't need another bike but I really want a change.... something different...I currently ride a Yamaha raider 1900 and have a Honda shadow ace 750 for the daily 5 mile ride to work and errand running/solo trips. I'm looking to replace the Honda with something more fun and comfy (the raider is for 2up). As well as a bike to run with my buddy Ulysses when we ride to Arkansas and back road exploration.

Ive stumbled across a 2001 triumph tiger 955i with 30k miles for $2800
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mcy/4412069954.html

Ive also found a 2008 Kawasaki Versus 650 with 17k miles for $3200
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mcy/4349104366.html

My biggest question is how do these bikes compare? Which is the best deal? Which would YOU buy? Which has the best fun factor??

I don't do much off roading, but I do a lot of traveling to and from my camp (100miles 5 of which is levee riding/gravel which the Honda does fine). Oh I'm 6-4 with a 34" inseam, thus why the Honda is getting replaced. Granted neither one comes with any farkles, and I've never ridden either. But they both are tugging at me. I know test rides are the best, but I don't want to be one of those pesky tire kickers that only want to ride the bike and leave.

Ive searched and didn't find much on the comparison of the two bikes, so your OPINIONS and FACTS are welcome!!!
longdude17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #2
pilot
Slackin' again

Oddometer: 30,380
If condition is similar, buy the Tiger. I have a Versys, but I'm 5'9" and I fit it perfectly. You probably won't.

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #3
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 105
I also have a Versys- great bike!
That said, if I was riding a lot with my buddy on the Buell I think I'd go Tiger 955.
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #4
Soldier311
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
I'm subscribing to this thread....

....because I've been trying to decide between these two bikes myself.

That's about the cheapest "Girlie" Tiger I've seen...and it looks in really good shape. But, 30K miles.
I'm 6'2 and the Versys I've sat on in the showroom fit me fine. I have not sat on a Girlie Tiger.

More than likely, if I was near Gonzales, LA (where I once worked for a summer doing hazardous waste cleanup), I'd be bringing that Tiger home with me!