Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
JakeTJCJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Tiger 800 xc, randomly won't start... ???

Background:

I just bought a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800xc, it was used had 1500 miles. Had the new mapping done the month before I purchased it. I took it out for its first ride and did 120 blacktop mile and we stopped around 8 times. 3 of those times when we started to take off again I turned the key on and nothing when I hit the starter button. After turning the key on and off several time it starts. When it happens the instrument cluster does its normal thing but no cranking whatsoever. It never once stalled once it did start. Stepper motor?

I've searched and read every tiger page on this forum and can't see to find the same thing. Anyone ever had this problem, it wasn't dirty. The bike has never been off road. Any tricks I need to know? I know I am new to the bike but I thought I was doing everything correctly. One thing I noticed and it might just be the cluster start up is the "Alarm" light always flashes as I am trying to hit the start button.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
JakeTJCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
The only time mine wouldn't start is when I tried to start it before the cycle wasn't complete and the sounds stoped. but other than that I haven't heard of this. I don't think the stepper motor problem would not let the starter spin the motor, but that's just my opinion. Did the previous owner say he had any problems? The bike should still be under warrenty,so take it to you dealer.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
JakeTJCJ OP
Adventurer

It has warranty till August of 2013. He said it didnt have any issues. He was just moving it along to get ready for the 1200 explorer. You could put this thing in a showroom and sold it for new. My nearest dealer is 2 hours away so I was making sure it wasnt something I was doing. We'll see...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
One more thing, was the kickstand down and possibly the bike in gear? I know that once in awhile I stop and shut the bike down in gear to keep it from rolling, and forget to put it in neutral before I try to start up. the other thing is the kill switch on the throttle side has to be on or nothing will work. Good luck with this issue, but the Tiger 800 is the greatest bike I've ever owned. It does everything i ask of it and more.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
was the kill switch in the on position? was the kickstand up or bike in neutral? was the clutch pulled in? is the kickstand kill switch stuck for some reason? was the fuel pump cycling when you turned the bike on and off? did you try and jump start it?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Do you always pull the clutch in? In gear, out of gear, kick stand up or down you still gotta pull the clutch in. Apparently a Triumph thing.

Took me 3 months to get used to that.

Only other thought I had was that a few years ago I quit using the kill switch (turning motor off with key) but sometimes I inadvertently engage it (it's easy to do) and spend a while figuring out what is wrong with the stupid bike.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Do you always pull the clutch in? In gear, out of gear, kick stand up or down you still gotta pull the clutch in. Apparently a Triumph thing.

Took me 3 months to get used to that.

Only other thought I had was that a few years ago I quit using the kill switch (turning motor off with key) but sometimes I inadvertently engage it (it's easy to do) and spend a while figuring out what is wrong with the stupid bike.
Yes clutch always in, the bike will not turn over with the clutch out no matter what gear your are in.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
VirtualVarmint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
This just happened to me Saturday with my 2012. Bike was in neutral, key on, clutch in, kill switch in correct position. I had to actually get on the bike and lift the side stand for ignition to occur. I'm new to the bike, so it could be me. I know I have started it on the side stand before.
Pathfinders M/C of CT
VirtualVarmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVarmint View Post
This just happened to me Saturday with my 2012. Bike was in neutral, key on, clutch in, kill switch in correct position. I had to actually get on the bike and lift the side stand for ignition to occur. I'm new to the bike, so it could be me. I know I have started it on the side stand before.
you can if you are in neutral and the clutch is in
Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
littlegroovy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My XC had some bizarre behavior (some similar to yours some not). I did notice the Alarm light on when staring at the dash wondering why it wouldn't start. Called the dealer, they said to see if the cables connected to the battery were loose.

I pulled up the seat and the cable connection was very loose. I tightened them and the problem went away immediately and hasn't come back.
littlegroovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
momanor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have had to kick the side stand with my heel once, stand was up clutch in nada, banged it with my heel and it cranked right up. A side stand switch bypass my be in my future...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
JakeTJCJ OP
Adventurer

Tonight was the first night I have had time to go down and so some checking on the Tiger. I checked the battery cables like previously post and they were tight. I then got on it, turned the key on the fuel pump came on then I started it.

After letting it run for 5 mins, I turned it off ( with the key) let the "dialup sound" cycle. Then let it sit for another min or so. I turned the key back on and I noticed the fuel pump didnt make a noise. alarm light was on as well as all other dash lights that normally are on during start up. Same procedure as the previous start.... NOTHING.

I turned the kill switch on and off a few times, the stand up and down a few times, clutch in, neutral... key on and off a few times, no fuel pump sound, tried starting..... Nothing, no clicks... nothing.

My dad was scratching his head as was I... Then he said.... "open the gas cap" I opened it, closed it, then turned the key on. Fuel pump runs and bike starts right up. After that test, I couldnt get it to not start again. So I will be testing this theory tomorrow on a few hour ride with several stops.

Will keep you posted...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTJCJ View Post
Tonight was the first night I have had time to go down and so some checking on the Tiger. I checked the battery cables like previously post and they were tight. I then got on it, turned the key on the fuel pump came on then I started it.

After letting it run for 5 mins, I turned it off ( with the key) let the "dialup sound" cycle. Then let it sit for another min or so. I turned the key back on and I noticed the fuel pump didnt make a noise. alarm light was on as well as all other dash lights that normally are on during start up. Same procedure as the previous start.... NOTHING.

I turned the kill switch on and off a few times, the stand up and down a few times, clutch in, neutral... key on and off a few times, no fuel pump sound, tried starting..... Nothing, no clicks... nothing.

My dad was scratching his head as was I... Then he said.... "open the gas cap" I opened it, closed it, then turned the key on. Fuel pump runs and bike starts right up. After that test, I couldnt get it to not start again. So I will be testing this theory tomorrow on a few hour ride with several stops.

Will keep you posted...
This is going to be interesting what you find here. Keep us all posted.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
sacbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
good luck with this problem. i had an xc for a few months and it wouldnt start on me several times. after a month in the shop i got my money back and bought a new v strom. the triumph has so many complicated electrical features that it is not as reliable and very hard to repair.
sacbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
JakeTJCJ OP
Adventurer

Update...

Went on a 5 hour ride today 70 degree temps typical 2 lane road tarmac. Stopped between 6-10 times, on the next to last stop I got on the bike turned the key on... saw the typical light up of the dash with the tach going all the way up and back. Then saw the alarm light on. I knew it wouldnt start. I hit the button.... Nothing. I quickly took the key out of the ignition opened the gas cap and closed it. 2-3 secs. Then turned key on. Dash lit up and tach up and down... No alarm light... hit the starter button. Fired right up.

This is one of those things that make you go hmm... Problems.

Any ideas let me know. Seems like a fuel pressure sensor or something not allowing the ECU to let the starter come on.

thanks!