Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #151
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart
Twoup, how do you go in the hotter weather without the cooling scoops? Those engines look rooly good without them but I've never been game enough to run without them. We have two XLV's registed, both less than 30,000K's and a couple more in the shed in bits. A friend has 5 of them, three running. Must be the XLV capital of Strayliya.
It depends to the model you ride. On the MK1 (HRC, red engine) I would never ride without the scoops, but it seems that on the MK2 (the black engine, as posted above) Honda made several more- or less important improvements towards the MK1.

Esspecialy the rear cylinder is vulnerable for overheating and for what I have been told it does not take much to have engine damage due to over heating.

I have never used the XLV without, so I can't really tell if this is true or not, or how big the risks of overheating are without the scoops. Have heard many stories though about overheating engines.

Fact is that I have the feeling that the XLV engine performs better when outside air temperatures drop... The only issieu remaining when it gets too cold is a phenomenon called 'Carb Icing'; which can even occur at outside air temperatures from +10 degrees Celsius and below.

Same at the Transalp though. But since I start to use Forte Fuel Guard as adding to the fuel during wintertime, the problem is more or less solved. Even below zero.

For long (and hot) rides like last spring to Turkey I use my liquid cooled XL1000V Varadero or the good old reliable Transalp...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #152
TARider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
XLV750R at Auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77
beautiful bikes..i have actually seen one here in the states. the owner picked it up at a bike auction..but i have no idea what he payed for it
Was it the one at the Vegas auction in 2004? That one sold for $16k
2004 XR400R E-Start
TARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #153
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARider
Was it the one at the Vegas auction in 2004? That one sold for $16k

i know it was from the vegas auction but not sure what year..this one didnt look worth $16k
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #154
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uprallyist
Oldfart, no worries without the scoops we ride it around in the summer and have not had a problem, but we don't ride it around the city stuck in traffic. I have a set of scoops at home but just never but them on.
I know what you mean about XLV capital. I have a spare for parts and i know of 5 more in the bike club, but still rare it draws a crowd at rallys.
Ah ha! So this might be you or one of your mates then

Taken on the Snowy Mtns Highway back in February, the day after the Victorian Bushfires. I was riding with it on my Transalp, then the rider copped a bee in the helmet and had hoof it back home to Tumut to get allergy pills. Never saw him again.

Didn't seem to be having any overheating problems then, and that was the day for it (45 degrees C). Got scoops fitted tho' I see

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..

icekube1 screwed with this post 01-02-2010 at 05:22 AM
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #155
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 649
Nup, not me or anybody I know by the look of it. At that time I was in Victoria fighting those fires, down there again this year. I fly a firebomber when having a go at the fires, spend most of the time sitting around. My wife and I have an XLV each, we have been "Gunna" go and ride the snowys on ours but havent got around to it yet. She's a Tumut girl so she knows a few spots to go, one of these years. We pass through the airfiled there every now and then.
Glenn
Here's our XLV's

Some of the bombs in the shed

Old fart screwed with this post 01-02-2010 at 02:28 PM
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #156
icekube1
Middle aged git

Quote:
Nup, not me or anybody I know by the look of it. At that time I was in Victoria fighting those fires, down there again this year. I fly a firebomber when having a go at the fires, spend most of the time sitting around. My wife and I have an XLV each, we have been "Gunna" go and ride the snowys on ours but havent got around to it yet. She's a Tumut girl so she knows a few spots to go, one of these years. We pass through the airfiled there every now and then.
Glenn
Here's our XLV's

Some of the bombs in the shed
Thought it might have been 2uprallyist. I see he has Tumut on his profile.

That a C180/185 fuse in the background?

Mike

Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #157
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Nup and Yup.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #158
icekube1
Middle aged git

Quote:
Yup.
Nice

Mike

Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #159
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Vintage this year, too... !!

Missing mine... and the TA and AT, too.
Paul,
Vancouver Island, Canada
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #160
2uprallyist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Yeah it is, he would have only just brought it then.
2uprallyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #161
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Just the right colours...

But what kind of airplane is kept in your garage?

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #162
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Just the right colours...

But what kind of airplane is kept in your garage?
It's a 185 Cessna
Old 01-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #163
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
It's mine!!

Hello

My name is Steve and I'm a Hondaholic.

I just made a deal after years of searching for a nice XLV750. It has been some time since I read through this informative thread but I have a few questions about the bike and I’m sure my stupid questions will make you laugh.

The bike is running but has sat for many years. After cleaning the carbs and flushing the tank, the engine runs and idles well. I have not ridden it due to the front brake being locked up. It freed up a little with some help from a heat gun on the caliper. But it still is dragging too much. The battery was dead and the tires rock hard but WTF since it was last ridden about Y2K. Cosmetically it appears to be nice with just a few scratches here and there. It’s the 1985 model with the black tank with red sides and side covers, original fenders, turn signals, lights, scoops, handlebars seat cover etc. Typical Honda, all the lights and switches still work! I wish I could have found the earlier red, white and blue model, but I’m happy with the condition of this particular bike.

I plan to do very little cosmetically since it’s pretty good, but very dirty and needs to washed and detailed a bit.

First set of questions:
Is there a parts list available, electronic, paper, copy, or online?
Are there owners and/or maintenance manuals available in any form?

Front brake (master and caliper) over haul kit, Any part numbers that match something fresh? I see pads on fleabay.

Rear turn signals split at the base, availability or part number? They look like TA or AT parts but is the metallic mounting shaft longer? I would like to use NOS or close copies to preserve the look.

The air filter looks brand new but does not lock in place, common problem? Was there a foam ring under the filter?

Gaskets sets, hopefully just the first laugh! Sounds like these are hard to find. Any direction where to look or is it gasket stock paper, exacto knife and ballpeen hammer time when needed?

Pictures after I clean it a bit. A parts list would really be nice!!!

Steve
Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #164
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Exhausts are another problem with XLV's Steve, new ones are nearly impossible to get. I made a two into one for my bike with what was left of the old exhaust, with a reverse cone mega upswept from the right pax footpeg. It's slightly noisier with about the same power but more up high than low revs. I built a complete system for a friends bike from headers to the back. It was copied off the original down to the baffle system and with only slightly larger outlets. It has good torque with more response than the original. Put the original heat shields back on and you have to look hard to see it's not original. I see by your avatar you be a flier, a lot of bike folks take to the air.
OF
Old 01-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #165
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,417
Congratulations! You are really into Honda bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasco Pirate
Hello

My name is Steve and I'm a Hondaholic.

I just made a deal after years of searching for a nice XLV750. It has been some time since I read through this informative thread but I have a few questions about the bike and I’m sure my stupid questions will make you laugh.

The bike is running but has sat for many years. After cleaning the carbs and flushing the tank, the engine runs and idles well. I have not ridden it due to the front brake being locked up. It freed up a little with some help from a heat gun on the caliper. But it still is dragging too much. The battery was dead and the tires rock hard but WTF since it was last ridden about Y2K. Cosmetically it appears to be nice with just a few scratches here and there. It’s the 1985 model with the black tank with red sides and side covers, original fenders, turn signals, lights, scoops, handlebars seat cover etc. Typical Honda, all the lights and switches still work! I wish I could have found the earlier red, white and blue model, but I’m happy with the condition of this particular bike.

I plan to do very little cosmetically since it’s pretty good, but very dirty and needs to washed and detailed a bit.

First set of questions:
Is there a parts list available, electronic, paper, copy, or online?
Are there owners and/or maintenance manuals available in any form?

Front brake (master and caliper) over haul kit, Any part numbers that match something fresh? I see pads on fleabay.

Rear turn signals split at the base, availability or part number? They look like TA or AT parts but is the metallic mounting shaft longer? I would like to use NOS or close copies to preserve the look.

The air filter looks brand new but does not lock in place, common problem? Was there a foam ring under the filter?

Gaskets sets, hopefully just the first laugh! Sounds like these are hard to find. Any direction where to look or is it gasket stock paper, exacto knife and ballpeen hammer time when needed?

Pictures after I clean it a bit. A parts list would really be nice!!!

Steve

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote