Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #211
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5
so taking it on a 10K trip isnt thee best plan?
I wouldn't try that. Buy an AT or TA and you will have no problems on 10k or 20k or 50k trip!
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #212
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
XLV versus intensive use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schelbi
I wouldn't try that. Buy an AT or TA and you will have no problems on 10k or 20k or 50k trip!

Agree with that. For long distance touring (>250 km a day or more) we also use our '94 XL600V Transalp or the XL1000V Varadero. We own two Varadero's, a MK1 from 2000 (the Mrs her machine) with 160.000 on the ODO (100.000 miles) and like new, and my MK2 ABS from 2004 with 75.000 km done.

I'm using the XLV as an classic. And from time to time I even use it to commute (130 km each day, incl. 30 km of motorway) on which it performes great.

On aspect of reliability... It is not that bad! But it depends on which model you own. On a HRC (red engine) I would ride it that much. It has some weak spots (gearbox, oil cooler, rear spring, head caskets, etc) But the Limited (black engine) has several improvements towards the red engine models.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #213
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
to bad. I dont have place for 2 bikes. I dont mind modifing and getting dirty hands btw.

But guess ill keep on looking i also spotted a xrv650 (i have a fetish for unique bikes :P)
jj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #214
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5
to bad. I dont have place for 2 bikes. I dont mind modifing and getting dirty hands btw.

But guess ill keep on looking i also spotted a xrv650 (i have a fetish for unique bikes :P)
XRV650?
A beautiful bike. Very reliable and good for long trips.

Unfortunately I have not seen a really good one for a reasonable price.
And my barn is full of old bikes waiting for a restauration.
Otherwise a XRV 650 would be a good addition to my collection!
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #215
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

An XLV750 can be modified. I have seen an Belgian owner who took the engine and shaftdrive of an NTV650 Revere and build in the XLV frame...

I'm in to the original thing though.

Things which could be modified to make the bike more rugged for touring are not that numereaus... Some ideas...:

- Double front diskbrakes;
- Rearsuspension... Technoflex (or Wilbers) have still an aftermarked replacement on stock. Little expensive, though.
- Sparkplugs... Invest in Iridium ones.
- Gearbox... Well.. just use proper engine oil. Halfsynt. or even full synt.
- Keep an eye on the cooling of the rear cylinder... Modify the airflow to the rear cylinder when riding in warm climate.

I've visited the 20th anniversary XLV750 International Meeting in Switserland back in 2003. I was stunned by the modifications done to the bike by some owners!

Many ideas can be viewed on Rolf's XLV pages: www.xlv.ch

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #216
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Carbs cleaning...

I finally succeeded in finding a place where I can clean the carburettor 'Ultrasound'. It's only 30 km from the place where I live; I can simply bring the carbs down there on my way up to the office.

Costs? 25,-. Found a 2nd address at 100 km from where I live; they charge 75,-. So I think I've got a fair price.

Place to be... Motoport Assen (Assen as in Dutch GP / TT)

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #217
hurtlocker
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi
I need some help and advice on a 1985 Honda XLV750R. On overrun, the bike pops and backfires. It has a Marving exhaust (Italy) which is as near stock as I could get with no signs of leaking or blowing. I have tried rejetting the main and idle jets using 115, 118 main, plus 40, 42 and 45 idles all with varying combinations. Stock is 118 / 42. I have also fitted new diaphrams and tried max and min positions for the mixture screw. All with no success. I have talked to a bloke who had a similar problem which he traced to the pulse generator. The manual says they should be 450 - 550 ohms. I have one at 465, the other at 422, so it does look out of spec. The problem is, its discontinued from Honda and just about everywhere else that I have tried. The part number is 30300-MG7-003.
So.....has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it and any ideas where I can get my hands on a new pulse generator or know of an alternative?
Thanks
Hurtlocker
hurtlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #218
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtlocker
Hi
I need some help and advice on a 1985 Honda XLV750R. On overrun, the bike pops and backfires. It has a Marving exhaust (Italy) which is as near stock as I could get with no signs of leaking or blowing. I have tried rejetting the main and idle jets using 115, 118 main, plus 40, 42 and 45 idles all with varying combinations. Stock is 118 / 42. I have also fitted new diaphrams and tried max and min positions for the mixture screw. All with no success. I have talked to a bloke who had a similar problem which he traced to the pulse generator. The manual says they should be 450 - 550 ohms. I have one at 465, the other at 422, so it does look out of spec. The problem is, its discontinued from Honda and just about everywhere else that I have tried. The part number is 30300-MG7-003.
So.....has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it and any ideas where I can get my hands on a new pulse generator or know of an alternative?
Thanks
Hurtlocker
Hmmm... There is a whole legion of possible causes. On both the Transalp and the Varadero I had backfires because one of the gasket seals of the exhaust was broken. You couldn't see any thing wrong on the exhaust though... Since the exhaust of the XLV is made of several parts, it could well be a broken gasket...

- Which type of fuel do you use? I've noticed that the XLV feels comfy with high-octane fuel (f.e. Super Plus 98+)
- Sparkplugs... Replace the stock plugs by iridium plugs. Really one of the best mods I have done to the bike.
- Cleaning... Put a bottle of Forte Fuel Guard on a full fuel tank and ride with it, reff it up.
- Hows your air filter?

I've got no clue about all kinda tech-talk... I prefer to keep of the engine, settings, etc as long I can fix a problem manually (fuel, fuel adding’s, etc).

Old 07-03-2010, 03:58 AM   #219
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 650
A change of pipe will make it run on. After having a two into one on mine then putting a twin system back on the idle revs rose without changing carb set up or idle adjustment touched. A non standard system will change the tune, usually worse. Exhaust leaks will make it run on and backfire, sometimes they are a bit hard to track down.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #220
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
The German Kraftfahrt Bundesamt (Federal Department of Motor Vehicles) tells me there are 153 XLV750 registered and on the road, of which 146 are 45kW version, 7 are the 37kW version.

Very rare now indeed.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #221
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
I finally succeeded in finding a place where I can clean the carburettor 'Ultrasound'. It's only 30 km from the place where I live; I can simply bring the carbs down there on my way up to the office.

Costs? 25,-. Found a 2nd address at 100 km from where I live; they charge 75,-. So I think I've got a fair price.

Place to be... Motoport Assen (Assen as in Dutch GP / TT)
OK, got it on another level now... The dirt is removed tnx to the Ultrasound cleaning, but it also has revealed corrosion on the Carbs which can not be removed with the Ultrasound...

So, the Carbs and all the non-Fero bits and pieces will be 'Wet blasted' to remove the corrosion. This seems to be a fairly new procedure.

http://www.wetblast.nl/

I expect the Carbs to be ready within the next two weeks. Chances that I still can use the original Carbs have risen about 90%... Which makes me happy!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #222
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtlocker
Hi
Thanks
Hurtlocker
Hi HL, i did think that exhaust was made in NZ (but i'm used to being wrong). The backfire or popping on overrun is typical of an xlv providing its a restrained, good sounding sort of crackle pop. If its fair dinkum bang bang backfire then there is an issue. Forget the pulse generators, they are not the problem. Main jet should be a 120, idle a 40. Idle screw is 3 turns out. Get a new aircleaner or modify the existing one to run a foam filter (unifilter 65x150mm rally pods)(2 pack means you have a spare). What does happen is the carbs become blocked with gums and or fine dirt (rust from the tank), run a fuel system cleaner for a tank or three (strong mix). If it improves well and good. If not and there is still a backfire issue then consider a full disassembly of carbs and a really good clean. use air and petrol to try and flush the bodies out. The idle screw has a tiny (very tiny) o ring and washer on the end of it. It usually stays in the hole when scew is removed but be careful when washing / blowing. If the screw has been scewed in hard then that o ring may have broken up and the little bits of it are blocking the idle circuit. Wash the bodies and try and flush them VERY well. When you have ignition problems (one cylinder cutting out / stopping when hot but restarting when cooler etc) it will most likely be the exciter coils which are a SEPERATE winding on the alternator that provides power to the cdi's. The cdi's can fail also (swap them to check) A replacement black box that does away with exciter coil and cdi's is available from
ignitech.cz
Is that enopugh to keep you going?
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #223
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I just bought a 1986 XLV750 and plan to put a sidecar on it. It's missing the air scoops though. Anybody know where I could get a set. I recon with the chair on it will run a little hotter so the scoops are a necessity.

Had one of these years ago. Bought it new then. Great bike apart from the notchy gear change. 3 return trips across the nullabor (Perth-Sydney-Perth) didnt worry it.

Phil
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #224
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 650
Hideehodee Phil, yoo buy the one from Guyra?
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #225
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart
Hideehodee Phil, yoo buy the one from Guyra?
No, this one came from a bit north of Sydney. Bloke named Ray.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote