User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #241
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I use a full synth 5W-50.

My riding season is over and I put the bike in storage yesterday.
Once I take it out again I will run tests as to who the culprit might be.
2008 KLR650E

Bell driver screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 02:03 AM
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #242
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo
A fine example of a side car. Good one Pete.

Bloody good one, these photos and Phil Fongs. Mine is this model, so I recon it will acquire a third wheel shortly. I have a HRD 1 1/2 chassis with a Westcar body which will go well on it. Anybody got some photos of the mounts? or Petes contacts? Phil
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #243
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman
Bloody good one, these photos and Phil Fongs. Mine is this model, so I recon it will acquire a third wheel shortly. I have a HRD 1 1/2 chassis with a Westcar body which will go well on it. Anybody got some photos of the mounts? or Petes contacts? Phil

Pete lurks in the Honda thread in the Australian forum.

Thats my XLV over his shoulder so to speak in one of those pics or in the bush in the other.

Well see if we can flush him out, co's I need the same pics for the same reason.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #244
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver
I use a full synth 5W-50.

My riding season is over and I put the bike in storage yesterday.
Once I take it out again I will run tests as to who the culprit might be.

Just been reading in the OZ Honda thread and our guru ATGreg says its not uncommon for early TA's to use 1 litre per 1000 klms.

So I hope I haven't put you on a bum-steer.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #245
BIGPETE
XLV750R

Oddometer: 19
G'day Phil, Nice to have met you at Byrock.I have included some photo's of the mounts etc.I will be adding more when I get a chance. When I started to fit the main rails for the sidecar chassis I realised I had to change the lower mounts, but all I did was turn them 90 degrees. I wanted to make the frame so that it was only bolted to the bike frame, that way no engineers certificate was required. I will be taking the XLV to Tottenham for the Far Cairn Rally in september if you want to see it in the flesh. http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5...nda%20Sidecar/

BIGPETE
BIGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #246
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPETE
G'day Phil, Nice to have met you at Byrock.I have included some photo's of the mounts etc.I will be adding more when I get a chance. When I started to fit the main rails for the sidecar chassis I realised I had to change the lower mounts, but all I did was turn them 90 degrees. I wanted to make the frame so that it was only bolted to the bike frame, that way no engineers certificate was required. I will be taking the XLV to Tottenham for the Far Cairn Rally in september if you want to see it in the flesh. http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5...nda%20Sidecar/

BIGPETE
G'day Pete. Did you change the suspension at all? Mine seems a little soft as is.
Phil (2)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #247
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong
Ive just taken your advice on iridium spark plugs

Should have done that mod years ago what a difference they make.

Thankyou !
After I received the tip, I use Iridium plugs on my 2000 MK1 Varadero (from 2003 they are kindly fited for standart by Mr. Honda), on both XLV's and our '94 Transalp. It's so simple but sooo rewarding! OK, they are more expensive to buy as regular sparkplugs, but they last a lot longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver
Good evening all,

my 1985 XLV with a black engine has apparently been overhauled at 37000km, now, at 53000 I have checked the oil consumption.

It needs 450ml per 1000km. Wouldn`t that be a little too much for an engine that has now run about 16000km after reassembly ?

How much oil do your engines burn?

I had oil consumption on our 2000 XL1000V model Varadero, started at around 75.000. I changed the oil (Motul 10W40 half synt) and added ATF Automatic Gearbox Oil from Motorex to the oil. The bike has now 150.000 km on the ODO (almost 100.000 miles) and the oil consumption disappeared completely.

Since this experience I added the ATF to all our other bikes, incl my new 2004 Varadero. On the XLV's I'm using full synt Motul V300(0) oil. I don't have any oil consumption on both, but they have an low mileage (< 50.000 km for both)

The early MK1 Transalps (especially the 86/87/88 model) was known for its oil consumption due to bad 'piston springs' or 'Piston ring' (I don't know the right translation in English). By changing these for an after '91 model, the problem is solved.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 PM   #248
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
G'day Pete. Did you change the suspension at all? Mine seems a little soft as is.
Phil (2)

There is 2 settings on the standard shock.

But one of the "normal" things that breaks on the XLV is the lever to change the setting from hard to soft (left hand side of bike, just in front of side cover)

My rear shock collapsed recently and there is an aftermarket product available but expensive.
Big Pete put me in touch with a mob in Brisbane who rebuilt it for me, which included re-chroming the piston for $245.
But they didn't fix the lever (no parts)
To change the setting now, I remove the left hand side cover and move the lever with a long screwdriver.
I'll post pics when I can, Ive another shock here somewhere.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #249
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs

I had oil consumption on our 2000 XL1000V model Varadero, started at around 75.000. I changed the oil (Motul 10W40 half synt) and added ATF Automatic Gearbox Oil from Motorex to the oil. The bike has now 150.000 km on the ODO (almost 100.000 miles) and the oil consumption disappeared completely.

Since this experience I added the ATF to all our other bikes, incl my new 2004 Varadero. On the XLV's I'm using full synt Motul V300(0) oil. I don't have any oil consumption on both, but they have an low mileage (< 50.000 km for both)

Two Plugs,

What was the ratio of Auto oil to Engine oil, please ?

And did you just do it once ? then go back to straight engine oil ?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #250
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:

BIGPETE

Yo Pete, couple of us heading to Tottenham NSW for the Far Cairn Rally, 18th & 19th September.
I'm bringing the XLV for this .......... and the camera !

What say you Mr Rockman ?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #251
BIGPETE
XLV750R

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Phil (2)
G'day Rockman, I had my shock rebuilt a while back and because the adjusters are no longer available , I had them set it on the harder setting, other than that all I have done is bumped the air pressure up a bit. The bike handles it alright as I have had no problems since fitting the car.I also made some spacers for the front fork springs to help stiffen the front for better ride height because I'm a much bigger rider than the norm.

BIGPETE.
BIGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #252
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
G'day Rockman, I had my shock rebuilt a while back and because the adjusters are no longer available , I had them set it on the harder setting, other than that all I have done is bumped the air pressure up a bit. The bike handles it alright as I have had no problems since fitting the car.I also made some spacers for the front fork springs to help stiffen the front for better ride height because I'm a much bigger rider than the norm.

BIGPETE.
G'day Pete - yes I'm no midget either. The rear shock on mine has been rebuilt recently so it should be ok. The adjuster has gone, so I'll have to set it by hand as Phil Fong suggests. All I need now is some time to fit the chair.
cheers, Phil
Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #253
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Yo Pete, couple of us heading to Tottenham NSW for the Far Cairn Rally, 18th & 19th September.
I'm bringing the XLV for this .......... and the camera !

What say you Mr Rockman ?
Not a bad idea Mr Fong. I'll see if I can create a space with work and get there. I'll have to register the XLV first though. Shouldnt be a worry.
Phil
Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #254
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Not a bad idea Mr Fong. I'll see if I can create a space with work and get there. I'll have to register the XLV first though. Shouldnt be a worry.
Phil

We'll leave Bingara friday, for a ride to Coonamble and stay over, on to Tottenham saturday.

Sing out, if you wish to join in.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #255
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We'll leave Bingara friday, for a ride to Coonamble and stay over, on to Tottenham saturday.

Sing out, if you wish to join in.
I'm in Inverell, so I'll either catch you in Bingara or somewhere nearby.
Sort that out closer to the day.