Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,009
This'll be interesting.... in fact if I can work out how to post pics I might just have to add a few of Greg h's efforts on his XLV. Then again, he did sell his XLV and buy a GS1200 so what does that tell you? Just stirring the pot a bit
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 683
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT
I might just have to add a few of Greg h's efforts on his XLV. Then again, he did sell his XLV and buy a GS1200 so what does that tell you? Just stirring the pot a bit
That says he's a dedicated follower of fashion , he's driven by peer pressure , he's not a practicle person and he listens to all the yuppie advertising . Just stirring the pot a bit more.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #18
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 683
Some might consider my last post a bit provocative, I didn't mean all GS riders have more money than sense, are driven by trendy motocycle magazine drivel and listen to the wrong people, just some.

When it all boils down we should be riding a bike that suits us, whether it's a CT125 or the latest Bavarian techno droid with optional electro/hydrolic brake switch and ABS optioned headlight dimmer. As long as it has two wheels we're well in front of Jimmy the car driver.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,904
Wow !! Those bikes look great naked. Beautiful frames. I wish Honda had kept the "through the tank" air cleaner idea on the Transalps and early ATs.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #20
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Wow !! Those bikes look great naked. Beautiful frames. I wish Honda had kept the "through the tank" air cleaner idea on the Transalps and early ATs.

and later model transalps (removing the tank to get to the airfilter - only honda would do that....)
For what it's worth , the XLV is a submarine - I have videos of one crossing a river with water up to the tank and still getting through , but so did my transalp (just)
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 AM   #21
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,012

Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #22
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey

tHEtREV: You'd better hurry up :-)

-----sharks
Damn. don't you hate it when you issue a challenge and then straight away you just know you've been beaten.
My engine is still sitting in pieces and the fairing on the DR is coursing me grief.

Oh well looks good so far anyway. Did you get the new (er) forks you were after?
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #23
sharkey OP
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
thEtreV: I'll get it RWCed and regoed first ... still considering fork replacement, but then again, maybe I'll just chuck Racetech Emulators (Gold Valves) into these ones ... it's not that much money at the current exchange rate ...

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #24
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

just got back from ordering engine parts.
so hopefully I'll start getting mine back together in a week or so.

I think I'll be getting it registered then changing everything because I have some big plans for it (actually I don't but I know ill end up going overboard with it).

My aim for it is to have it set up and going by Easter and taking it to the Condo. Just to watch, not competing.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 AM   #25
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV

I think I'll be getting it registered then changing everything because I have some big plans for it (actually I don't but I know ill end up going overboard with it).

My aim for it is to have it set up and going by Easter and taking it to the Condo. Just to watch, not competing.
Oh were going to the condo no problem

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 AM   #26
sharkey OP
XLV750R

Quote:
No worries, let me know if you get stuck!

Quote:
Do tell ... I'm doing similar, just whacking it all together to get through rego and then I'll try and get some improvements made ... I'd like to get to the Off Center 2008, so that's the long-term target for me ...

-----sharks
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 AM   #27
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

No idea what I'm doing to it, I keep getting side tracked when I try to work on bikes and end up with something completely different to what I set out to do, once while trying to change a rear wheel bearing on my RZ 350 I got a bit side tracked and ended up putting a KR1 swingarm, wheels, and front end on it.
Over the weekend I was finishing of the screen I was making for my DR and got a bit side tracked and now I'm busy fiberglassing a new nose section on it because I thought it needed twin headlights (I haven't touched the screen yet).

So you see in the few months (at least) that its going to take me I have no idea what I'll end up with.

Right now I'm aiming for a 950 SE/ HP2 kind of thing (just an update on what it was) but I have this feeling that I'm going to end up trying to make it a rallye type bike (I have a bad habit of that, I just love those things).

But any way I was wondering if anyone knew the amount of wheel travel you can get at the rear of those things (remembering that the shaft joint can only bend so far)?
I know it was discussed in the yahoo mailing list ages ago but I don't think anyone came up with an answer and I can't find where it was discussed anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tHEtREV screwed with this post 10-02-2007 at 12:23 PM
Old 10-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #28
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Quote:
But any way I was wondering if anyone knew the amount of wheel travel you can get at the rear of those things (remembering that the shaft joint can only bend so far)?
I know it was discussed in the yahoo mailing list ages ago but I don't think anyone came up with an answer and I can't find where it was discussed anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You'd have to extend the swingarm / driveshaft like they do on Beemers + use a longer shock
Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #29
atgreg
Africatwinarama

hows the injection going sharks ??
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #30
sharkey OP
XLV750R

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
hows the injection going sharks ??
Hehe, suffering badly from finite time and money. The next step is (still) machining adaptors for the throttle bodies ... a bit fiddly but not rocket science.

Rather conveniently, the MegaSquirt project has come a long way in the meantime ...

-----sharks