User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #316
sharkey OP
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
XLV parts for sale, Melbourne Australia

[This was posted over at the Aussie flea market, but got deleted by mods ... so I guess I'll see how it looks over here.]

Well, sad as it is, I've got to admit that 2 kids and my own business doesn't leave a lot of time for fettling XLVs. I've built up a huge supply of spares and such over the years, and I figure they'd be better off cluttering up the shed of someone who might actually use them. As for the bike itself, its out of reg and insurance and has hardly been ridden in a year, so I'll probably bring myself to put it up soon too.

A lot of this stuff is in dubious condition: a fair bit of it came from other people's shed cleanouts, much of it has been sitting around in boxes for years, and I can't remember which bit is which. In particular, the "spare engines" are all dead in one way or another, from exploded cranks to rooted gearboxes. Some other parts are likely as-new. There's lots more stuff to come as I go through boxes and take photos.

All in Greensborough (NE Melbourne), and probably most of this stuff is too heavy to ship. Some of the lighter stuff might go on fleabay at some point, but I can't really be bothered. Make me an offer by email ... sharkey@zoic.org. Anything which doesn't sell will end up in the skip in a couple of weeks time.

Lots of pics in the smumug gallery. See the captions for more info.

sharkey screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 12:15 AM
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #317
JWL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just bought XLV

Hi all , appears very timely , I have just purchased and XLV 750 in WA and are wonder about parts supply and what might be able to be adapted to fit .

Imediate need is for a tail light lens and air scoops ( if they are needed ) .
Any information would be apreciated . Have seen the info on rear shocks and indicators but not much more .

PS interested in having spare drive shaft if can get to WA .

regards
JWL
Attached Images

JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #318
baldtire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Sharks Sale

Has anyone heard from sharks, he seems to have "gone to ground" or having second thoughts.
baldtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #319
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Wondering if it would be possible to convert a Transalp to shaft drive... xlv transplant would seem to be the most obvious route - simple, difficult or damn near impossible?
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #320
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Finally installed my Wilbers rear suspension and progressive fork springs today.
It's like a whole new bike now, awesome riding.

I learned from another Honda forum that there might be another 20% to 25% rebate sale on Wilbers products this October.
Stay tuned...
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #321
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
@Crash48
Sounds like a plan. How do you want to change the direction of power output?
Martin converted his XLV with a single arm from a NTV650.
She is THE attraction at every meet.

2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #322
BlueSkyGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
@Crash48
Martin converted his XLV with a single arm from a NTV650.
She is THE attraction at every meet.

Now thats freaking great.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #323
Crash48
Secular Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
@Crash48
No plan... just a notion in need of a tech savvy type to weigh in - are you saying I would need to drop in the XLV's entire drive train from engine to rear wheel?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #324
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
No plan... just a notion in need of a tech savvy type to weigh in - are you saying I would need to drop in the XLV's entire drive train from engine to rear wheel?
It's not that easy! The swingarm of the XLV is mounted in the frame by 2 big bolts (one is adjustable). The shaft drive joint is between these 2 bolts. So you need screw threads in the frame on both sides.

The Transalp has only 2 holes for a swing arn axle. This means you need to weld parts of a swing arm frame to the Transalp frame.

I neverd heared of anybody doing this before and it's definitely not worth the effort!

Maybe it's possible to take a NTV650 frame and engine and convert this to dual sport with a XLV750 swingarm???
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #325
Crash48
Secular Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schelbi View Post
...definitely not worth the effort!
I agree... and way beyond my ability or finances - but thank you all for the reality check.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #326
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
NTV/XLV shaft Transalp Transplant?

I have seen an NTV Revere 650 / XLV750R conversion at the 20th XLV meeting in Switzerland. It was a Belgian guy, but he did not stop at the engine / shaft drive transplantation, he totally mutilated the XLV750 in its appearance.

Well... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say...

Shortcut: An NTV650 power plant transplantation to the XLV750R is possible. But to the Transalp... For heaven sake, why would you?

Besides that... The frame of the Transalp is so much different of architecture, you would need to make XXX modifications to make it work - if it would fit in first place.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #327
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I am not in awe of changing swingarms to SSS I must admit...but...
But IMO suspension parts of XLV very much resemble spaghetti (not uncommon at bikes of that age) so I think finding solution if this bike is like primary daily bike could be good idea.
Reason I post here - relatively recently I was helping with some minor work on XLV and been offered a test drive which left me ...let say unimpressed with suspension/rigity of whole affair.
So I wondered if switching to different kind of swingarm (forks are easy to change, no doubt) will improve that?
I had some experience with XV920 Yamaha and remember it had monolever swingarm old-style but lower part very similar to XLV...perhaps XLV can be braced similarly?

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #328
Crash48
Secular Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs;16936831[FONT=Helvetica
Shortcut: An NTV650 power plant transplantation to the XLV750R is possible. But to the Transalp... For heaven sake, why would you?[/FONT]
I ride year round in Nova Scotia on a PC800 averaging 200 kms per day four days a week... it's been three years since I had to clean, oil and adjust a chain - don't miss it at all ! I'm looking for a second bike for a change of pace for the days when I don't need all that weather protection... or the big ass trunk - and maybe get a little more aggressive when I detour onto rough / gravel roads. I'll probably still go with the Transalp... add a centre stand - and try to stay off it during road salt season.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #329
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I am not in awe of changing swingarms to SSS I must admit...but...
But IMO suspension parts of XLV very much resemble spaghetti (not uncommon at bikes of that age) so I think finding solution if this bike is like primary daily bike could be good idea.
Reason I post here - relatively recently I was helping with some minor work on XLV and been offered a test drive which left me ...let say unimpressed with suspension/rigity of whole affair.
So I wondered if switching to different kind of swingarm (forks are easy to change, no doubt) will improve that?
I had some experience with XV920 Yamaha and remember it had monolever swingarm old-style but lower part very similar to XLV...perhaps XLV can be braced similarly?
Spaghetti as in road behaviour...

You are right. But the biggest modification I did on both my XLV's is simply replacing the air suspended rear shock for an after marked (Wilbers) part. It improves the stability and handling 200% and I did not even replaced the front springs... So I guess the 'spaghetti frame' is OK, its the suspension which causes the 'spaghetti' roadhandling...

Couldn't access the pics above from the office (some kind of 'these pics can contain upsetting information because they are at an free host' blablabla from the Internet department...)

But for this occasion, the block was an appropriate measure... That XLV with NTV shaft ís mutilated!!!. Not as much as the Belgian one I mentioned, but it gets close...

I think that an bike that rare as the XLV, should be kept in pristine condition. But every one is entitled to have his one opinion and/or taste...But this one is mine!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #330
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I would agree. XLVR is XLVR and not really that good material for mods - there is better "donors" for surgery and actually less demanding and not rare.
Yep, as spaghetti I mean suspension - I did not feel any probs with frame, just suspension and rigidity of forks and rear, but it was on asphalt with relatively sticky tyres.
I also big fan of Wilbers shocks - both my bikes have them. Total transformation of handling. Best mod you can do to rear suspension of any bike IMO.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote