ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #376
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,233
Carbs!!! (or: liquid gasket? )

Hi all

Still desperately seeking for a proper set of carbs for the XLV. It seems, that the carbs of early VT750 Shadows ('83/'84) would do the trick as well.

Maybe it can be repaired... are there any experiences with 'liquid gaskets', like locktide, or Curil-T? It needs to be able to fill the 'gap' between the rubber diagrams and the aluminium carb casing.

Any help appreciated!
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #377
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Hi all

Still desperately seeking for a proper set of carbs for the XLV. It seems, that the carbs of early VT750 Shadows ('83/'84) would do the trick as well.

Maybe it can be repaired... are there any experiences with 'liquid gaskets', like locktide, or Curil-T? It needs to be able to fill the 'gap' between the rubber diagrams and the aluminium carb casing.

Any help appreciated!
Hi Bernard, I have looked at this thread from time to time but assumed you would have no trouble getting what you want.
It seems not but I am also now confused as you seem to be asking about the gasket on the float bowl in the earlier posts but now it sounds like the slide diaphragms. The bowl gaskets can easily be replaced with a liquid gasket material and the diaphragms are available from NRP carburettors in the UK (gaskets as well). Bernard, I dont understand, all this has been on the XLV forum that you contribute so much to????
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #378
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voorspoed View Post
Sorry for the hijack but do anyone know where I can get a set of big end bearings for the XLV?
I am in South Africa and would appreciate any help in this regard.
The bearings apparently have a colour code on the end of them. There are 3 colours I think. If its yellow then this will help, it was posted not so long ago on the XLV forum.
"Daewoo 1498 cc 76.50mm bore engine
EB 1350B4000K
Since genuine big end bearings are not available ,these measure up exact
shaft & tunnel size as yellow coded xlv bearings .Width is 2mm narrower but does'nt have a 1mm tapper on each end like honda bearings have.
Shaft to bearing surface area is the same. These also come 10,20,&30 thou oversize
If there is crankshaft wear or damage this might be an option.
I have travelled 10,000 kms so far with these alternative bearings
with no problems yet."
hope this helps.
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #379
Voorspoed
Adventurer
 
Voorspoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
The bearings apparently have a colour code on the end of them. There are 3 colours I think. If its yellow then this will help, it was posted not so long ago on the XLV forum.
"Daewoo 1498 cc 76.50mm bore engine
EB 1350B4000K
Since genuine big end bearings are not available ,these measure up exact
shaft & tunnel size as yellow coded xlv bearings .Width is 2mm narrower but does'nt have a 1mm tapper on each end like honda bearings have.
Shaft to bearing surface area is the same. These also come 10,20,&30 thou oversize
If there is crankshaft wear or damage this might be an option.
I have travelled 10,000 kms so far with these alternative bearings
with no problems yet."
hope this helps.
cheers Graeme
Thx Graeme, I will pursue this asap.
Looky what I found:

http://www.precisionintl.com/online/...Parts=EB1350B4

EB1350B4 (Conrod Bearings)

STD 010 020 030
Shaft 42.971/42.987mm 1.6918/1.6924
Tunnel 46.000/46.013mm 1.8110/1.8115
Suits:

MakeEngineModel
DaewooA15MF (DOHC)Cielo
A15SMS (SOHC)Lanos
A16DMS (DOHC)Lanos
Nubira
G15MF (SOHC)Cielo
HoldenOpel C12NZ (SOHC)Barina
Opel C14NZ (SOHC)Barina Cabriolet
Barina City
Barina Joy
Barina Swing
Combo
Opel C14SE (SOHC)Barina SB
Combo SB
Opel C16SE (SOHC)Astra TR
Opel C16XE (DOHC)Barina GSi
Opel X16XE (DOHC)Barina SB
Opel X18XE1 (DOHC)Astra TS
Barina XC
Opel Z14XE (DOHC)Barina XC
Opel Z16SE (SOHC)Combo XC
Opel Z18XE (DOHC)Astra AH
Show All

Voorspoed screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 09:32 AM Reason: Update info
Voorspoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #380
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Hi Bernard, I have looked at this thread from time to time but assumed you would have no trouble getting what you want.
It seems not but I am also now confused as you seem to be asking about the gasket on the float bowl in the earlier posts but now it sounds like the slide diaphragms. The bowl gaskets can easily be replaced with a liquid gasket material and the diaphragms are available from NRP carburettors in the UK (gaskets as well). Bernard, I dont understand, all this has been on the XLV forum that you contribute so much to????
cheers Graeme
Unfortunately all other options (incl liquid gasket materials) are NO option. I've made inquiries at some specialists and they all strongly recommend NOT to use liquid gasket materials in combination with Fuel / rubber materials or on a carburettor....

Shortcut... I desperately need a FULL REPLACEMENT carburettor for the XLV (which might be from the '83 VT750 Shadow as well)

Not slide diagrams, not bowlgaskets... They have been replaced by new ones already after which the fuel started to leak...
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #381
Voorspoed
Adventurer
 
Voorspoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
The bearings apparently have a colour code on the end of them. There are 3 colours I think. If its yellow then this will help, it was posted not so long ago on the XLV forum.
"Daewoo 1498 cc 76.50mm bore engine
EB 1350B4000K
Since genuine big end bearings are not available ,these measure up exact
shaft & tunnel size as yellow coded xlv bearings .Width is 2mm narrower but does'nt have a 1mm tapper on each end like honda bearings have.
Shaft to bearing surface area is the same. These also come 10,20,&30 thou oversize
If there is crankshaft wear or damage this might be an option.
I have travelled 10,000 kms so far with these alternative bearings
with no problems yet."
hope this helps.
cheers Graeme
Graeme

I sourced the conrod bearings on the Daewoo car but now the little indent or whats it called of the bearing is on the opposite corner, so what do I do now? That little "tab" that prevents the bearing from turning around the conrod.

Thx
Willie
Voorspoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #382
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voorspoed View Post
Graeme

I sourced the conrod bearings on the Daewoo car but now the little indent or whats it called of the bearing is on the opposite corner, so what do I do now? That little "tab" that prevents the bearing from turning around the conrod.

Thx
Willie
Hi Willie, I cant help there as all I did was repost what someone else has done. I will however go onto the xlv forum and ask, we'll see what comes from that-----
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #383
Voorspoed
Adventurer
 
Voorspoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Hi Willie, I cant help there as all I did was repost what someone else has done. I will however go onto the xlv forum and ask, we'll see what comes from that-----
cheers Graeme
Ok, great, thx for all your help Graeme!
Voorspoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #384
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider
 
Old fart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: South By Southwest near the dotted line
Oddometer: 690
So where is this XLV forum?
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #385
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Hi Willie, I cant help there as all I did was repost what someone else has done. I will however go onto the xlv forum and ask, we'll see what comes from that-----
cheers Graeme
Hi Willie, reponse from Jime as follows;
"Hi Graeme ,
The locating tang on the bearing did'nt line up with
the original so i had a machine shop relocate the groove
on the con rod . Quick & easy job apparently,It cost me $50 for the 4 slots.

Hope this helps somehow.regards jimmy"

A bit of a nuisance but seems an easy enough "fix", hope it helps you.
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #386
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
So where is this XLV forum?
Hi, put "yahoo xlv750r forum" into Google, either of the first 2 will do the trick.
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #387
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
So where is this XLV forum?
I'm rather puzzled as well, Old Fart!... Also by this posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
...."Bernard, I dont understand, all this has been on the XLV forum that you contribute so much to????



I thought THIS topic here at ADV was the Forum which was meant? But I'm wrong...? Or is it the mailinglist at Yahoo Groups to which Graeme is revering?

Btw... It seems I got my hands to a set of carbs. So the never ending story of my restoration project continuous...
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #388
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
I'm rather puzzled as well, Old Fart!... Also by this posting:




I thought THIS topic here at ADV was the Forum which was meant? But I'm wrong...? Or is it the mailinglist at Yahoo Groups to which Graeme is revering?

Btw... It seems I got my hands to a set of carbs. So the never ending story of my restoration project continuous...
Well Bernard, I,m not sure whats going on here but the forum I am referring to is a Yahoo forum for owners of XLV's and has been around quite a while. Sharkey (who is on here) is the moderator, he started this thread. Twoplugs has been a regular contributor. Theres others who are also on it that are also on here and maybe they will comment also. In recent times Yahoo have made things a bit different to log on to the site but its visible enough here
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xlv750/
Bernard, according to the members register you joined aug 14 2008, have just sent you an email from there.

cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #389
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Well Bernard, I,m not sure whats going on here but the forum I am referring to is a Yahoo forum for owners of XLV's and has been around quite a while. Sharkey (who is on here) is the moderator, he started this thread. Twoplugs has been a regular contributor. Theres others who are also on it that are also on here and maybe they will comment also. In recent times Yahoo have made things a bit different to log on to the site but its visible enough here
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xlv750/
Bernard, according to the members register you joined aug 14 2008, have just sent you an email from there.

cheers Graeme
That's the mailinglist! On which I in deed, have posted many times.

I never knew that postings where 'stored' on a sort of 'homebase'.

Well... its added to my favourites now! Tnx for showing me the light...
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #390
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
That's the mailinglist! On which I in deed, have posted many times.

I never knew that postings where 'stored' on a sort of 'homebase'.

Well... its added to my favourites now! Tnx for showing me the light...
Love a good result!!!
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014