Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Travis28715 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
inexpensive Motorcycle GPS (Garmin Quest 2)

I was thumbing through e-bay and found water-resistant Garmin GPS called Quest 2s for less than $100. Has anyone used these on their bikes that would like to give their thoughts on them? I found 2 with ram mounts for $150. Seems to good to be true.
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Thats getting pretty old I think. I wouldnt, my problem with my old streetpilot III was Garmin didnt support it with updates and when my old laptop running windows 2000 died I could no longer connect it.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
I was thumbing through e-bay and found water-resistant Garmin GPS called Quest 2s for less than $100. Has anyone used these on their bikes that would like to give their thoughts on them? I found 2 with ram mounts for $150. Seems to good to be true.
I have one of the Quest 2s... For an older GPS it still carries a lot of features... The supplied built in road maps have pretty good detail, everything is in color and you have some room to add mapsource maps ... It does offer voice navigation ... It isn't the fastest GPS compared to the newer generation stuff but you can speed it up a bit by turning off some of the region maps you won't be using... It's not a large unit with about a 2"x3" screen but because of that you have more mounting options... You can no longer get map updates for the built in maps but they are not that far out with the last update being 2010 or 2011... You can load the newer mapsource maps in to the alternate map option but not too many as it has a limited amount of storage .. The biggest down with this unit is that it does not store tracks, only routes...

Hope this helps...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Ditto the above. The screen is really too small for this old man's eyes, which require a stop sometimes. The biggest issue is with the antenna. It is in the folding lid of the unit and the connections break. I am working on my 3rd one because of it. A simple repair to replace one, but Garmin insists on sending it in and charges accordingly.

Finally I just bought a remote antenna and it works better.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Travis28715 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the replies

Bought the pair. I figure two ram mounts, hard wired cradles and external antenna are worth the price. Just need something to get me back in known area when I get lost (often).
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
If you have a Android phone, you can't beat the Back Country GPS app. It has replaced my Garmins and my Trimble GPSs for everything but submeter data logging.

$10 will do more than the $400 Garmins and is easier to use than the $600-$6000 Trimbles.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
If you have a Android phone, you can't beat the Back Country GPS app. It has replaced my Garmins and my Trimble GPSs for everything but submeter data logging.

$10 will do more than the $400 Garmins and is easier to use than the $600-$6000 Trimbles.
+1

Just get a protective casing that fits your phone and you're good to go.

Just look at taxis - most don't buy Garmins anymore. They buy Ipads and they get 4 times the screen size for about the same price. And they can surf the net and watch the news on it while sipping coffee in the taxi que.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
+1

Just get a protective casing that fits your phone and you're good to go.

Just look at taxis - most don't buy Garmins anymore. They buy Ipads and they get 4 times the screen size for about the same price. And they can surf the net and watch the news on it while sipping coffee in the taxi que.

Pelican makes a clear case for the I-phone that works with the droids until you need to charge it. I had to modify mine so that I could plug the usb cable in while its in the case. I simply epoxied a cut down .300 ultra mag case to make a pocket for the usb cable to reside. A picture would help, but be creative and you will find a solution.

http://www.pelicancases.com/i1015-p/i1015.htm
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Thats getting pretty old I think. I wouldnt, my problem with my old streetpilot III was Garmin didnt support it with updates and when my old laptop running windows 2000 died I could no longer connect it.
I'm gonna be mounting my SP/III in place of my speedo unit in the near future on my "L". Yea it's old and Garmin doesn't offer anymore updates but the way I see it the dirt roads I ride on are as old as, well, DIRT and it's expendable in the event of a catastrophic breakage.