User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
need info on buying a bike in quebec...yes...i searched

I have searched and searched. I have gathered lots of different answers from different sites. But, I don't think I have found the answer I am looking for.

I am this close to purchasing a bike in the Montreal area. From what I can understand, any potential bike could look great but be a "salvage or branded" bike thusly not being able to register it in Ontario, then I would have a lovely ,expensive paper weight.

I am unclear if a used vehicle report can be bought for a bike in Quebec like it can in Ontario. If yes, will it say on the Quebec used vehicle report that the bike is clear that its NOT been labeled a salvage or other.

I also haven't found any definitive answers on taxes that may need to be on the bike. Some say I have to pay Quebec taxes some people ,others say I don't,....

If I get the VIN numbers of the bike(s) will I be able to find out about the past status of the bikes even if it costs me a couple of bux?

All and any info in welcomed....looking now!!!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,967
I cant answer your question on the Quebec used vehicle report, id like to know that myself.

If you are buying from a private seller you would not need to pay the taxes, as you would not pay them until register the bike. If you are buying from a dealer they may charge you the taxes on it.

When I bought my bike from Montreal I had to pay taxes on it, as I bought it from a dealer. The dealer gave me a form to fill out to get my taxes back. Once I went to MTO to register the bike, I then had proof I paid Ontario taxes and sent that long with the form to the Quebec government and got my money back. I was actually quite surprised how quick i got them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I have searched and searched. I have gathered lots of different answers from different sites. But, I don't think I have found the answer I am looking for.

I am this close to purchasing a bike in the Montreal area. From what I can understand, any potential bike could look great but be a "salvage or branded" bike thusly not being able to register it in Ontario, then I would have a lovely ,expensive paper weight.

I am unclear if a used vehicle report can be bought for a bike in Quebec like it can in Ontario. If yes, will it say on the Quebec used vehicle report that the bike is clear that its NOT been labeled a salvage or other.

I also haven't found any definitive answers on taxes that may need to be on the bike. Some say I have to pay Quebec taxes some people ,others say I don't,....

If I get the VIN numbers of the bike(s) will I be able to find out about the past status of the bikes even if it costs me a couple of bux?

All and any info in welcomed....looking now!!!
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Arghhh......I forgot to mention they will be bought privately. No dealers.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
Racerboy000
Canuck

Oddometer: 11
Where are you located? I have bought a few bikes in QC. Get the serial number from the owner and call or visit the saaq? They can check to make its not branded.
Racerboy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

I live more towards oshawa area. Does the saaq provide a used vehicle package like in ontario? Did you pay tax in quebec on the bike AND again in ontario? Or does that apply only when buying from a dealer?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 958
Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I live more towards oshawa area. Does the saaq provide a used vehicle package like in ontario? Did you pay tax in quebec on the bike AND again in ontario? Or does that apply only when buying from a dealer?
you only pay the tax once when you register it here in Ontario. If it was a dealer then they might make you pat the tax there, but then you would only have to pay the differences (if any) here to equal out HST. I would ask the seller and see if he can get the package for you there because you might have a problem unless your French is good

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
sidewayz_control
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I would ask for the serial number of the bike and then check the RDPRM. There is a fee but it's only 3$. This will tell you if there is any debt or guarantee (Not sure if that would be the proper terms) taken against the vehicle. Because if whatever debt or guarantee is not paid for the institution to whom debt or guarantee is due will go after the vehicle regardless of whom the owner is. (who ever owns the vehicle also owns the debt.)

https://www.rdprm.gouv.qc.ca/Consult...cheBien?zone=3

With the VIN number I would also call the SAAQ and ask about the title and find out if it was declared in an accident, rebuilt etc... there's also a fee to pay, somwhere around 10$. (hey, we are dealing with the government here) But that's only good if there was an actual claim to insurance or a police file for an accident. If the bike was damaged and rebuilt but nothing declared or recoreded, no one will know.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicl...cle_record.php

There is also some good info here, but it's in french.

http://tva.canoe.ca/emissions/je/con...rte/46866.html

And lastly, call your local vehicle licence office and ask what papers you need to register an out of province vehicle aside from an inspection. Not sure that just the signed Quebec registration paper stating that the vehicle ownership is transferred is enough.

Ivan

2012 KTM 690 Enduro R
http://www.sidewayz-control.blogspot.ca/
sidewayz_control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 242
Private sellers will sometimes request that you accompany them to the SAAQ to complete the transaction.
You do have an option to fill out a proxy, but I have dealt with the odd character who will not budge on this item.

You should try to explain that a receipt for sale of the vehicle and the ownership is all you require to transfer it into your name when you get it home to Ontario.

Do not get upset if the seller insists on visiting the SAAQ with you to make the transfer - this is common practice in Quebec, and the only assurance the seller has that they will not receive notice every year for the rest of their lives that the vehicle is still in their name and they need to renew their permit.

Some private sales between residents of Quebec will use a proxy form in lieu of both parties visiting the SAAQ, but this is no use to you since you want to pay the tax in Ontario only, and avoid having to request a refund from Quebec.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
samslow
always learning

Oddometer: 168
Buying from Quebec registering in Ontario

So im on the hunt for a new bike. I have bought a car at a dealer in Quebec and registered it here in Ottawa that was straight forward. At the dealer they sorted me a temp plate to drive it back on and i paid the tax for Ontario to them and that was it. Brought it back got it plated job done easy.

How does it work if i buy a bike privately in Quebec regarding the tax?
thanks
samslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 126
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1019218
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
samslow
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
thanks. sounds a pain in the ass
Old 11-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 126
Easy

Use method 1.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/faq/ve...gistration.php

Q1: You have sold your vehicle to a person living outside Québec who will take it to his home jurisdiction. What is the registration procedure?
A: There are two ways to proceed:
1. Endorse your registration certificate and give it to the purchaser, who will bring it to his home jurisdiction and use it to register the vehicle. Then go in person to an SAAQ service outlet to advise the SAAQ that the vehicle was purchased by someone living outside Québec. The SAAQ will record the information in the registration file. You will receive credits for your registration fees when applicable. These credits will be calculated from the date you notify the SAAQ of the sale of the vehicle. They may also be calculated from the date the vehicle was registered in the other jurisdiction if you present a photocopy of the registration certificate issued at that time. You remain responsible for the vehicle until it is registered in the name of the new owner. We urge you to keep the vehicle insured until you are certain that the vehicle has been registered under the name of the new owner.
2. Go with the purchaser to an SAAQ service outlet to transfer the vehicle to the new owner's name. He will not have to pay registration fees but will have to pay Québec sales tax (QST). He can obtain a temporary registration certificate, valid for four days, to go to his home jurisdiction. The Revenu Québec form entitled Application for a Rebate (or Non-Payment) of the Québec Sales Tax (QST) on a Road Vehicle VD-60-V will also be given to him. You will receive credits for your registration fees if applicable.
The difference between the two methods is as follows:
• With the first method, you are not released from responsibility for the vehicle as long as it is not registered in the new owner's name. Therefore, you remain responsible for any damage caused by the vehicle until it is registered in the purchaser's name;
• With the second method, the purchaser is registered as the new owner of the vehicle and you are therefore released from all responsibility. However, the purchaser must pay QST.
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
samslow
always learning

ok that makes sense.
Just got to dig a bit more to see if said vehicle has any accident, money owing etc.

Not so bad then. Helps me widen my search for new wheels
Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
samslow
always learning

does a carfax cover quebec vehicles?