User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 315
Looking for dirt roads in BC from Osoyoos to Vanderhoof

Ideally I would like to go through Entiako (I was in that lake area on my way to Alaska in 2012 but didn't have much time to explore).

But I am worried about gas - I only got 200 mile range and that is with 4 extra liters in plastic bottles.

And last time I was there I encountered gated roads 100 kms in so that would mean high risk of getting stuck.

I will be solo but not afraid of hard terrain - on G650 Xcountry so easy single trail or hard double track.

Any GPX tracks or Google maps with suggestions for best scenic routes would be appreciated...

Thank you!
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
officersdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Search the kettle valley railway.....it's a cool old railway that you can ride the railbed
officersdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 420
Summerland to Princeton

Depending on which way you go there is a back road between Summerland and Princeton.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,228
Your best bet is to take the TCAT to Quesnel and then work your way onto the Blackwater to Vanderhoof...

TCAT
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 315
Thanks guys!

On the railway - I am afraid it would be a bit "boring"

Ideally it would be a rougher road, with stream crossings, different terrain and views. I am looking at TCAT, which is closer to my liking but I wouldn't mind something a bit more rough...

I am sure there are some locals that can share their back roads so I can piece them together. Any other suggestions please?
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
haileypooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I would suggest posting on dualsportBC
Old 01-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
botanybiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
BC Backroad Atlas

I'd suggest getting the relevant BC Backroad Map books or buying the micro sd card for your Garmen (if you have one). That map database or the books are perhaps the best BC bacroad resource you could hope for. You should find a plethora of great routes. Consider carrying a 2 way radio with an extendable mic with the logging channels because if they are actively logging you are in for some real fun without knowing where the trucks are.

Happy trails!
botanybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,370
i have all the BC backroad maps, if you want to borrow one or two. google won't be a help on roads here other then general planning. http://backroadmapbooks.com

check out the acerbis fork aux tank, doesn't have to be fork mounted, can add a gal. I've plotted a similar general ride basically gold bridge & go north
Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Tomasv,
Most of the gravel roads heading north will be old logging roads. Not very much single track here in BC.
Kettle valley railway is not to boring and has stream crossings, washouts, etc. but can be a little "busy" at times.
As said previously BC backroads mapbooks are good for planning.
A fairly remote route would be ;
KVRailway or christian valley to the town of lumby.
From lumby (hwy#6) either, mabel lake forest service road (FSR) to three valley gap at hwy #1,
or, Watchan / pingston creek FSR along the arrow lake up to shelter bay ferry, south of Revelstoke.
At hwy #1,
Take the Gorge FSR (at Malakwa / Last spike) up to Seymor Arm on the top of Shuswap lake.
Then up to the blackwater...
Years ago I planned an Alaska to Mexico gravel route...but lost the files in a computer crash
The further North you get the more limited your road choices become...ie, most are paved.
You will need all of your 200mile range as fuel is only available near major hwy crossings and it is also easy to get lost on the myriad of logging road junctions!
Also good camping all along these routes.

Cheers
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
BCBelstaff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Check out the Telkwa pass! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526847
Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

great pic of that pass!
I agree on range, my Xr650r had roughly 200mi range, EVERY trip to BC outback I was re-routing due to fuel or lack of, also once out of cities, premium fuel is hard to find. it can be very confusing on some FSR in central BC so added range is huge. to others ( OP has been there) beware of hunting seasons as well, Im more concerned with drunk hunters bombing a road then loggers
Old 02-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

has anyone used backroads GPS files? how are they compared to garmin? map guy here
Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #13
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 384
I have the Backroads Mapbooks for my Garmin and use it on Basecamp. It works mostly. It's not too bad for routing on main logging roads, but can get confused on smaller roads. It won't route on some roads even when the waypoints are literally a stones throw away. Also some of the smaller roads listed on Backroads are barely goat trails, and some don't even exist anymore.

Also most of the smaller roads are feeders from the logging areas to the main roads, so that they mostly dead end. The main roads are great for getting place to place.

Mike
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

thanks Mike !
do you still have a V Strom?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasv View Post
Thanks guys!

On the railway - I am afraid it would be a bit "boring"

Ideally it would be a rougher road, with stream crossings, different terrain and views. I am looking at TCAT, which is closer to my liking but I wouldn't mind something a bit more rough...

I am sure there are some locals that can share their back roads so I can piece them together. Any other suggestions please?
Before discounting this suggestion, you might want to check it on Google Earth. Formerly one of the toughest rail routes in North America . The scenery is well worth looking into.

This info is directed primarily to bicyclists, but more than 75% is open to MC traffic.

http://www.kettlevalleyrailway.ca

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/Vb...8/P8230290.jpg

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/9B...valley_map.jpg
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 09:50 PM
Fishnbiker is online now   Reply With Quote