Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #151
Revelstoker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by kananaskis
It was not an excise tax. That was GST. PST is applied (except in Alberta obviously) at the point of registering the motorcycle with the province (when you plate it). There is not really a change in process with the new HST since the border only takes the federal tax (GST) and lets the province deal with the other aspects. Cars from overseas (BMW, Japanese made cars, etc.) carry a 6.1 duty rate as well as the applicable taxes and a $100 Air Conditioning tax. Motorcycles DO NOT carry any duties. Just taxes...
Regardless of what you state and whether you think you are correct or not, I payed 5% at the border and another 12% when I registered the bike as I live in BC. This is a transaction that occurred in the last 30 days so it's not likely that I've forgotten the sting.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #152
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
I am looking at a bike in Portland. Does anyone have any referrals for shipping companies? I posted an ad on uship.com but haven't got much in the way of bids. I'd like to get the bike shipped to someplace in Montana, where I can pick it up and bring it across the border. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a fly 'n' ride.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #153
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelstoker
Regardless of what you state and whether you think you are correct or not, I payed 5% at the border and another 12% when I registered the bike as I live in BC. This is a transaction that occurred in the last 30 days so it's not likely that I've forgotten the sting.
Your blue and white customs charges sheet will have the detail on what that charge was - would be interesting to see what you were charged for.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #154
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 19,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
I am looking at a bike in Portland. Does anyone have any referrals for shipping companies? I posted an ad on uship.com but haven't got much in the way of bids. I'd like to get the bike shipped to someplace in Montana, where I can pick it up and bring it across the border. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a fly 'n' ride.
Maybe bribe a trusted inmate to do the deed?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #155
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGH
Maybe bribe a trusted inmate to do the deed?

I've thought of that.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #156
kananaskis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelstoker
Doubtful unless BC hosed you by accident in which case I would be politely demanding a refund... The border only collects the 5% which is the fed portion as you stated you paid. If BC then taxed you on full PST and GST for something as if it was new (the 12 percent you claim they dinged you for) then you paid TOO much. The registries office there or ICBC (sorry I cant remember BCs logisitical set up very well) or whatever took an additional 5 percent as if the federal tax had not already been taken. I would not forget the sting either but you should not have paid that much so go get your money back... Just trying to help ya there Reve...
kananaskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #157
StromTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob
Your blue and white customs charges sheet will have the detail on what that charge was - would be interesting to see what you were charged for.
Agreed. You should only have paid a total of 12% HST. You were so close to HST implementation that there easily could have been an error. Check those receipts and make some calls. I think someone owes you 5%.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #158
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
I've thought of that.
trusted inmate? Are there any of those? I've run 2 bikes back for others this summer. Not a bad way to burn up some time off.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #159
brands46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Need a little help. Anyone have any experience bringing a "closed course competition vehicle". I have found a mint used 2002 Montesa 315R trials bike (spanish with a hrc motor) in the states but have no idea what to do about crossing the border. Canada side seem pretty straight foward for competition bikes, pay the gst and beat it. But the us side is kinda sketchy? Do i need to do anything for this, its a vehicle model that was never issued titles in the states. Its hard to mistake that this is anything but a competition bike but will anyone care? Do i even bother telling the US side anything?

Thanks in advance
CMRC #36 - RMDRA, support your local club to keep our riding areas open.
Current Money Pits
2011 KTM 300 XC
2006 KTM 640ADV
2006 Scorpa SY175F
brands46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #160
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands46
Need a little help. Anyone have any experience bringing a "closed course competition vehicle". I have found a mint used 2002 Montesa 315R trials bike (spanish with a hrc motor) in the states but have no idea what to do about crossing the border. Canada side seem pretty straight foward for competition bikes, pay the gst and beat it. But the us side is kinda sketchy? Do i need to do anything for this, its a vehicle model that was never issued titles in the states. Its hard to mistake that this is anything but a competition bike but will anyone care? Do i even bother telling the US side anything?

Thanks in advance
by no title do you mean no VIN either?
The title part you'd only need if it was licensed, hence-no title- but there has to be an ownership document of sorts.
I'd call the US side and verify if a sellers receipt is good enough. They would usually require the VIN along with a sales receipt be faxed at the port of entry 72hrs min before you export it from the States, shouldnt be that hard.
Let us know how you make out
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #161
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands46

Thanks in advance
The US side stamps the title as 'exported', this is only useful if you plan on crossing the border again with the bike, the only way they(US customs) knows that you are bringing the bike into Canada is if you go and tell them, they dont have a booth on that side. You could skip this.

No title seams odd though, still need to show it (signed over) to the Canadian customs, also, IF you want a OHV plate for the bike, then it must go through the RIV program, if this bike is not on the RIV list, you will not be able to get a plate for it. No plate, no riding on crown land.

Also, the bike must be clearly marked 'For closed course competition use only' to be able to skip the RIV thing, and they will check for this at the border.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #162
harps
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Finally a Response

Here is the letter I have just received from Transport Canada, better late that never.
The amusing part is the 15 year age threshold that does not affect road safety. Mmmmm how would they know they do not even inspect the vehicle as I have discovered from a variety of sources that have imported vehicles of this era and older.
Here it is:

I am writing in response to your correspondence of May 12 and June 16, 2010, to the former Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, regarding the importation of your 2002 BMW Adventure motorcycle. The Honourable Chuck Strahl, has asked me to reply on his behalf. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

I should first explain that the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) was originally enacted to enable the Governor in Council to make Regulations to ensure the safety of the travelling public. The Act’s mandate is to regulate the manufacture and importation of motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment to reduce the risk of death, injury and damage to property and the environment.

Under the MVSA, all vehicles imported into Canada must comply with the applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSSs), and the manufacturer must certify their compliance at the time of main assembly. The Act applies to all vehicles less than 15 years old and to all buses manufactured after January 1, 1971.
Under this self-certification system, Canadian and foreign manufacturers must design, build, test and certify their products to comply with all applicable CMVSSs. To demonstrate the compliance of its Canadian models, a manufacturer must perform extensive prototype and component testing according to prescribed test methods and must maintain records of this testing. For example, a motorcycle manufacturer is required to perform extensive and intricate brake testing on prototype vehicles representing models designed for the North American market.

Vehicles manufactured for use in countries other than Canada and the United States normally are not tested, nor certified, to North American motor vehicle safety standards. They are manufactured for use where significantly different types of safety equipment and features may be required. Therefore, vehicles manufactured for countries other than Canada and the United States are not admissible for importation into Canada.

Section 6 of the MVSA prohibits the importation of a non-compliant vehicle. The intended use of a vehicle after its importation has no effect on its admissibility. A vehicle not manufactured for the Canadian or U.S. market cannot be imported. I would note that the MVSA does not provide discretionary powers to me or to other government officials. The 15-year age threshold was established to import a modest volume of collectible vehicles without affecting road safety.

For further information on all aspects of Transport Canada’s mandate in road and motor vehicle safety, please consult the department’s website. For specific information on your vehicle, I would encourage you to contact the Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate by telephone at 1-800-333-0371.

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,
harps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #163
Heavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
You guys make this process sem pretty simple.

My question is; How do you make sure the title is clear? Is there a way you can make sure there are no liens on the bike?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #164
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy
You guys make this process sem pretty simple.

My question is; How do you make sure the title is clear? Is there a way you can make sure there are no liens on the bike?
If there is a lien, the actual title (document) is held by creditor.

I was looking at a GSA with several thousand still owing to the bank. The owner did not have the title in hand. The balance owing had to be paid off in full before he could get his hands on it.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #165
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS
If there is a lien, the actual title (document) is held by creditor.

I was looking at a GSA with several thousand still owing to the bank. The owner did not have the title in hand. The balance owing had to be paid off in full before he could get his hands on it.
certain states also have the title noted for liens, even if the seller has it on hand.
There would be a box stating lienholders, much like the Ontarian half/half ownership.