ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
rob1313
Still learning
 
rob1313's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 4,275
Thanks Gadget.
__________________
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
rob1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
2kool2be4gotten
Adventurer
 
2kool2be4gotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Oddometer: 35
Just the FAX please...

With a recent relocation from the states to Ontario i've imported several vehicles (2 cars and a motorcycle). One piece of advice i got was to keep the FAX verification sheet - sure enough when i got to Port Huron the US agent asked for it. I'm not sure what would have happend if i didn't have it, but having it made things go smoothly.
2kool2be4gotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
drcool
R.I.P. Dave
 
drcool's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Burlington, Canada
Oddometer: 3,072
Good idea for the Sticky Gadget. Can you bring the original thread into this somehow or insert a link at the beginning. There is a wealth of info that helped me immensly with the import of my GS. Some pretty detailed stuff that could really help a n00b.

planning is 110%
drcool
__________________
Originally Posted by Isplat2 "When ALL the movies, video's and home theater is in 3D ....porn will become a whole lot different...."
Trailering your bike is a sickness, for help.....Call 1-800-scaredtoride
drcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,230
There are several "how to import a bike from the US" threads in this forum, just do a search. I picked this one because post 1 has a step by step without having to go through pages of drivel to get to the meat.. if you find one one with a better setup, post the link and I'll look at it.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
kananaskis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Soul lives in Rockies. Body is in Sarnia Ontario.
Oddometer: 40
I know the process of importing vehicles into Canada from the US pretty well as its part of what I do.

If its a personal importation (not for commercial resale), the bike (or car etc) needs to meet the list of admissible vehicles from Transport Canada. Check RIV.CA or TC.GC.CA to verify that your ride will be kosher.

Some vehicles (TVR sports cars,trikes, custom choppers, one-offs etc) will not be allowed into Canada unless the manufacturer can provide documentation to Transport Canada as to crash safety/bumper heights/chassis specs etc and be recognized by TC for the particular importation... If they reach the border somehow and are not legal in Canada they dont come in. Simple as that.

The CDN border officers require a free and clear TITLE in hand in most cases (I would say 99.9% of the time)... Many ports will NOT accept a photocopy. Call ahead to the specific port to verify with a supervisor if that is what you have instead of the title.
They also need a bill of sale. If you bought it from your buddy/uncle etc in the states and he gave you it for a dollar or something it will be re-appraised at fair market value when you go to pay taxes on this bike at the border. That is called a non-arms length transaction.

The 72 hour requirement is not a CDN law so yes, you can import the bike into Canada without the Title being stamped by the USA officers but I wouldn't suggest that route. The US requires that so that the vehicle (controlled, titled property of the individual and state) can be permanently exported. If you fail to export and proceed with importing the bike into Canada you could have your bike seized by the USA if it were to ever return into the states... As I said, Not a good idea.

Motorcycles (TWO WHEELED BIKES ONLY), unlike cars, do NOT carry duty even when manufactured overseas in Japan or Germany etc. Cars (BMW, Toyota etc) made overseas carry a 6.1% duty rate in addition to the taxes and $100 dollar A/C excise tax. Some gas gusslers also have huge "green levies" attached to them.... (Hummers, Land Rovers etc can carry between $1000 - $4000 in green levies)...
The easiest way to tell where your bike was manufactured is by the VIN. If the first number/character is a 1,2,3,4 or 5 it is NAFTA based and therefore only tax. If it is a letter it is overseas (ie: J = Japan, W= Germany etc)

Easiest way to sum this overdrawn response up is:

1. FIND BIKE
2. CHECK ADMISSIBILITY AGAINST LIST (ALMOST ALL ARE FINE)
3. GET BIKE
4. HAVE TITLE (REAL) AND BILL OF SALE IN HAND
5. IF POSSIBLE HAVE PROOF OF PAYMENT IN HAND (IF APPLICABLE)
6. BRING ONLINE ADVERTISEMENTS/EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE (IF APPLICABLE)
7. GIVE US CUSTOMS BORDER PROTECTION 72 HOURS MINIMUM NOTICE OF EXPORT
8. DRIVE BIKE TO BORDER. STOP BEFORE ENTERING CANADA AT US CUSTOMS TO COMPLETE EXPORT
9. GET ON BIKE AND DRIVE UP TO CANADA CUSTOMS
10. MAKE DECLARATION TO CUSTOMS REGARDING BIKE
11. FILL OUT FORM 1. CUSTOMS OFFICER STAMPS IT.
12. PAY TAXES (DUTIES IF APPLICABLE TO OTHER FORM OF VEHICLE)
13. RIDE HOME
14. PAY RIV PAYMENT (ABOUT $ 200 CDN) ONLINE USING INFORMATION FROM FORM 1 AND SIGN UP FOR FORM 2 TO BE SENT/EMAILED TO YOU
15. USE FORM 1 TO GET PROVINCIAL INSPECTION
16. USE FORM 2 TO GET FEDERAL INSPECTION
17. ENJOY NEW IMPORTED TOY
kananaskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kananaskis
I know the process of importing vehicles into Canada from the US pretty well as its part of what I do.

If its a personal importation (not for commercial resale), the bike (or car etc) needs to meet the list of admissible vehicles from Transport Canada. Check RIV.CA or TC.GC.CA to verify that your ride will be kosher.

Some vehicles (TVR sports cars,trikes, custom choppers, one-offs etc) will not be allowed into Canada unless the manufacturer can provide documentation to Transport Canada as to crash safety/bumper heights/chassis specs etc and be recognized by TC for the particular importation... If they reach the border somehow and are not legal in Canada they dont come in. Simple as that.

The CDN border officers require a free and clear TITLE in hand in most cases (I would say 99.9% of the time)... Many ports will NOT accept a photocopy. Call ahead to the specific port to verify with a supervisor if that is what you have instead of the title.
They also need a bill of sale. If you bought it from your buddy/uncle etc in the states and he gave you it for a dollar or something it will be re-appraised at fair market value when you go to pay taxes on this bike at the border. That is called a non-arms length transaction.

The 72 hour requirement is not a CDN law so yes, you can import the bike into Canada without the Title being stamped by the USA officers but I wouldn't suggest that route. The US requires that so that the vehicle (controlled, titled property of the individual and state) can be permanently exported. If you fail to export and proceed with importing the bike into Canada you could have your bike seized by the USA if it were to ever return into the states... As I said, Not a good idea.

Motorcycles (TWO WHEELED BIKES ONLY), unlike cars, do NOT carry duty even when manufactured overseas in Japan or Germany etc. Cars (BMW, Toyota etc) made overseas carry a 6.1% duty rate in addition to the taxes and $100 dollar A/C excise tax. Some gas gusslers also have huge "green levies" attached to them.... (Hummers, Land Rovers etc can carry between $1000 - $4000 in green levies)...
The easiest way to tell where your bike was manufactured is by the VIN. If the first number/character is a 1,2,3,4 or 5 it is NAFTA based and therefore only tax. If it is a letter it is overseas (ie: J = Japan, W= Germany etc)

Easiest way to sum this overdrawn response up is:

1. FIND BIKE
2. CHECK ADMISSIBILITY AGAINST LIST (ALMOST ALL ARE FINE)
3. GET BIKE
4. HAVE TITLE (REAL) AND BILL OF SALE IN HAND
5. IF POSSIBLE HAVE PROOF OF PAYMENT IN HAND (IF APPLICABLE)
6. BRING ONLINE ADVERTISEMENTS/EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE (IF APPLICABLE)
7. GIVE US CUSTOMS BORDER PROTECTION 72 HOURS MINIMUM NOTICE OF EXPORT
8. DRIVE BIKE TO BORDER. STOP BEFORE ENTERING CANADA AT US CUSTOMS TO COMPLETE EXPORT
9. GET ON BIKE AND DRIVE UP TO CANADA CUSTOMS
10. MAKE DECLARATION TO CUSTOMS REGARDING BIKE
11. FILL OUT FORM 1. CUSTOMS OFFICER STAMPS IT.
12. PAY TAXES (DUTIES IF APPLICABLE TO OTHER FORM OF VEHICLE)
13. RIDE HOME
14. PAY RIV PAYMENT (ABOUT $ 200 CDN) ONLINE USING INFORMATION FROM FORM 1 AND SIGN UP FOR FORM 2 TO BE SENT/EMAILED TO YOU
15. USE FORM 1 TO GET PROVINCIAL INSPECTION
16. USE FORM 2 TO GET FEDERAL INSPECTION
17. ENJOY NEW IMPORTED TOY

And, if the vehicle you are importing is 15 yrs old or older, you can omit confirming if it's on the RIV inclusion list, and don't have to worry about paying RIV payment or subsequent vehicle inspection.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: AB Canada
Oddometer: 649
importing a bike from the USA? help

ive read RIV and the AB registries info web sites.

however there is one thing i cant work out. if i did a fly and ride of a bike from the USA, what would i do for registration to ride it back?

the way i see it is the previous USA owner would take their plate off. but obviously i cant get an Alberta plate until the bike is in Canada, done it's RIV test and got AB insurance. so what do i use to ride it back from the USA and into Canada? or is this just not possible.


another scenario is, what happens if the current US owner rides the bike into Canada for me? normally i would declare at the border crossing that i was importing a bike and pay the fees and taxes and get the import forms. but the current owner wouldnt be faced with that, they could just ride across the border. so could i get the bike in Canada and then just goto the local CBSA office and do the paperwork there?

thanks for any pointers.
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
xrayboy
Adventurer
 
xrayboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Oshawa, ON
Oddometer: 97
get a temp trip permit from the state you buy the bike in. I have bought a few temp permits for cars at the local DMV where I picked up the car. And for fun you get to see how american civil servants love their jobs.

Call your insurance company and tell them what you are buying and they should cover you.
xrayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #24
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: AB Canada
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayboy
get a temp trip permit from the state you buy the bike in. I have bought a few temp permits for cars at the local DMV where I picked up the car. And for fun you get to see how american civil servants love their jobs.

Call your insurance company and tell them what you are buying and they should cover you.
Thanks for that. Would that cover me for the drive from the border to home once back in Canada? The insurance is fine. My broker says she can email me the pink slip and I could print it there and then.
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,641
My insurance company gave me temporary travel insurance, I carried that form with me and rode it home on the previous owner's North Carolina plate, holding the signed-over title and papers. I never did get ticketed so I'm not sure what the cops would have said. I don't think it was an issue, though, as the bike was clearly mine based on the documents I was carrying (original title, etc.) and I had proof of valid insurance in my name.

No questions at the border either.

I mailed the plate back to the owner when I transferred it into my name in Canada.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #26
2StrokeBloke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 112
Technically you need a provincial 'in transit' permit from the registry office wherever you live. In my case it was from the border station to my house.

I was never asked for it from the border guards (4 bikes imported to date) but wouldn't have liked to NOT have it.

IF you had the American ride the bike to your house, in order to have it 'imported', you'd have to turn around and ride it back to the border (of course, giving them three days notice with paperwork) when you wanted to 'import it'. There doesn't seem to be any way around that.

Some states may tell you that their 'in transit' permit isn't valid outside their state...most states have reciprocal agreements with neighboring states...that being said, I've only ever gotten one transit permit..and I make it a point not to speed so as not to encounter the law..who knows where that would go if the officer was not very kind.

Good luck and if you need more help, send a pm.
2StrokeBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 AM   #27
drcool
R.I.P. Dave
 
drcool's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Burlington, Canada
Oddometer: 3,072
Sellers plate worked fine for me from DC to Toronto. No one looked at it at the border. They were all concerned with the ownership.

I now have a souvenir Virginia moto tag.

I would do this again in a heartbeat.
drcool
__________________
Originally Posted by Isplat2 "When ALL the movies, video's and home theater is in 3D ....porn will become a whole lot different...."
Trailering your bike is a sickness, for help.....Call 1-800-scaredtoride
drcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcool
Sellers plate worked fine for me from DC to Toronto. No one looked at it at the border. They were all concerned with the ownership.

I now have a souvenir Virginia moto tag.

I would do this again in a heartbeat.
drcool
Not cool. Didn't we have a thread on here where someone did this, he was stopped by a LEO somewhere in the US.. and he got into a heap of trouble and the bike was impounded and it cost him lots of money to get it out etc.. you are after all riding a bike without a valid license plate, even if you have the ownership to it.

Moral of the story: spend the few bucks it takes to get a temporary tag in your name and ride it home, why take a chance with the law.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
drcool
R.I.P. Dave
 
drcool's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Burlington, Canada
Oddometer: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Moral of the story: spend the few bucks it takes to get a temporary tag in your name and ride it home, why take a chance with the law.
I'd like more info if you can dig it up. It would have been nice to have 9 months ago. With all of my reading here the Ont. tag was not valid out of country and you can only attain it once the vehicle is registered in your name.

Quoted from our MOT site:

Temporary Vehicle Registration allows vehicles to be driven to licensing offices, garages (eg. to satisfy Safety Standards Certificate and/or Drive Clean requirements) and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes. Temporary Vehicle Registration is a "T" validation sticker that must be affixed to the upper right hand corner of your licence plate and will be valid for ten days starting with the date issue. A vehicle that has been sold must be registered in the new owner's name, prior to Temporary Vehicle Registration being issued for the vehicle.

You can't register until you get the okidoki from RIV so forgetaboutit.

The problem I found with some states is the permits don't allow you to spend any time on the way home(sometimes one of the main reasons to Fly and Ride).

Quote from Virginia DMV,

A trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. These permits are valid for three consecutive days. Motorized vehicles must be properly insured or the owner must pay 1/12 of the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. If the vehicle is designed as a property carrying vehicle, such as a van, property cannot be carried in the vehicle while it is operated under the permit.

This alone would have added a day to the trip so be prepared to allow 4-5 days for a trip like DC.

As it was I drove home with a fresh tag and ownership, along with signed title and bill of sale from the PO I felt as I had done my due diligence. Sometimes these searches are more like endless circles.

enlightened not disuaded, this isn't my last import
drcool

__________________
Originally Posted by Isplat2 "When ALL the movies, video's and home theater is in 3D ....porn will become a whole lot different...."
Trailering your bike is a sickness, for help.....Call 1-800-scaredtoride
drcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #30
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,230
I can't remember if I read this in RF: Canada or it may have been in Road Warriors.. but his bike was impounded and he ended up spending a lot of money getting it out and on the paper work and fine.. It was definitely an eye opener.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014