Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #316
StromTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcool View Post
It'll be something else next year
drcool
Yeah...The powers that be might come up with Aircon tax on a mesh jacket.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #317
spots63
godless and soulless

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFab View Post
any hassles importing a new bike from the U.S.A. ?...J.F.
None. I imported a 2011 RT without any hassles. Warranty is intact in Canada, Road side assistance is not.
spots63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #318
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by spots63 View Post
None. I imported a 2011 RT without any hassles. Warranty is intact in Canada, Road side assistance is not.
Did you buy the bike from a BMW dealership? If so, that's fantastic! I've been told by dealers in Washington and Oregon that they won't sell to Canadians unless we have a US address and therefore, the bike is registered in the US first.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #319
BMottorrad
Ex-Rocketman

Oddometer: 42
exhaust importing

Hey guys just bought a 2010 GSA coming from Miami. He put an aftermarket Akropovic on it.

Will the canadian border pass the exhaust or will I have problems.

Cheers
BMottorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #320
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMottorrad View Post
....Will the canadian border pass the exhaust or will I have problems. Cheers
Customs doesn't care. They just want your money for GST. No import duties on bikes.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #321
BMottorrad
Ex-Rocketman

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #322
BMottorrad
Ex-Rocketman

ride across border

So my bike will be dropped off at storage in Montana. So will I be able to register and insure it before its in Canada so I can walk across the border and drive it back? Or do I have to trailer it across??
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #323
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
So my bike will be dropped off at storage in Montana. So will I be able to register and insure it before its in Canada so I can walk across the border and drive it back? Or do I have to trailer it across??
I dont think it can be done unless alberta is a lot different than Ont. When i brought my bike across in order to register it I had to take it to Crappy Tire and have the RIV inspection done, then get a Canadian Safety inspection, and take those peices of paper to get it registered. With out the safety and RIV inspection and Form one they wont let you register it.
Insurance was fine but I had to get a copy of my ontario registration to the ins company within 20 days of the policy starting or else they would cancel the insurance.
There are guys out there that have slapped on a plate from a different bike when they cross the border, and just hope that they dont get pulled over
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #324
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
If you belong to AMA and are insured with them. You can get a Three or Five Day in Transit Sticker which can be used from the Border to Edmonton.

If you do not belong to AMA I am sure a Registry Office could get you the In Transit paperwork and you insurance company should cover you till you go through the RIV and Out of Province paperwork.

I just brought up a K1200Gt using a Non Resident Temporary Drive Away Permit issued by Arizona, with Insurance for this bike from Allstate, no problem. Just paid my DOT/RIV fee on line and should have the balance of the required paperwork by Wednesday. Then fax or email completed Form 1 and Canadian Tire Inspection form to them and should have VIN within a week - 10 days.

You can do the Out of Province after the Canadian Tire Inspection, you get the form from Registries or AMA.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #325
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I had no problems importing my brand new Duck into Canada.

However I am pretty sure you can not import a Ural into Canada (new). Something about them not applying for some such and such thing form (that is basically what the WA dealer told me). Never really checked it out though.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #326
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I have already imported a bike from the states but now I am looking at doing a cross border trade. Anyone ever does this? or the process for exporting a bike
I am looking at trading my Husky610sm for a Street legal CR500.
I think the biggest thing would be if I can act as the importer and we can meet 1/2 way in the states or if we need to meet at the border?
Time to hit the interwebs but theres got to be some knowledge in here
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #327
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I think it should be straight forward, you would need "clear title" and the Original Bill of Sale for the difference in trade for the US Side, also the work sheet filled out and sent to the border 72 hours before you show up..

For Canadian side, you'll need the title that was stamped by the US side. Plus the the original bill of sale and paperwork showing the Monies you paid out in the trade. I do not know how they would evaluate for GST purposes add the value of the two bikes together or just add the trade difference to the value of the new bike. I would keep any banking paperwork showing monies you paid out and if possible the ad for the bike you are trading.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #328
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
My friend said that he looked into importing a new Beemer and BMW Canada was going to charge him $500 for the RIV letter!!!??! Wtf?

Anyone confirm/deny this?
I am in the market and was just starting to look stateside for new bike.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #329
shogunl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post
My friend said that he looked into importing a new Beemer and BMW Canada was going to charge him $500 for the RIV letter!!!??! Wtf?

Anyone confirm/deny this?
I am in the market and was just starting to look stateside for new bike.
BMW do want $500 for the letter. but if you are buying from a dealer in US he can provide you with dealer printout which is acceptable to RIV.
Or if you are stuck I am told Max BMW for NY state will give you one for $100.

Got mine from a dealer and he provided me with printout no problem.
shogunl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #330
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunl View Post
BMW do want $500 for the letter. but if you are buying from a dealer in US he can provide you with dealer printout which is acceptable to RIV.
Or if you are stuck I am told Max BMW for NY state will give you one for $100.

Got mine from a dealer and he provided me with printout no problem.
You only need the letter at the point of getting your RIV inspection. The inspection is actually a joke. The girl and the auto service desk at Canadian Tire (they are currently contracted to do RIV inspections) comes out to look at the bike in the parking lot. She has to fill in a one page RIV form/checklist. She needs to fill in this form with info from the stickers on the bike. Things like gross vehicle weight, rear axle weight, max. number of passengers, etc. It is a general purpose form for RVs, cars, trucks and motorcycles. She will also verify the running lights and serial number. One question on the form is manufacturer recalls (what the letter is for) which is why she needs the letter. If you just give the web site URL of BMW and say the info is on the site that will satisfy her and she will have something to write on the form. No one really cares about this, not the Canadian Tire cashier doing the RIV inspection, not the government, not anyone. Save your $500, its a cash grab.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote