Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #346
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSwimmer View Post
Thanks for the replies and comments. Spoke with Transport Canada today and they advise that the modifications will render the bike inadmissible. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-12-1-eng.html

Under Canadian legislation, returning goods to Canada after they are taken out of Canada is considered an importation of those goods. This includes Canadian-owned and registered vehicles that are transported to Canada by commercial carrier. Canadian goods returned to Canada are duty and tax free - if they are returned to Canada without having been increased in value or improved in condition. Source - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...vrptc-eng.html
I still don't see how it's not possible to safely and legally bring the bike to BC. At the border, the agent doesn't leave his/her desk to even look at what your bringing across.
The Canadian Tire guy will look at the items I mentioned earlier that are on his checklist. The Canadian Tire "inspection" is free so there not gonna waste time looking at things they don't need to check for.
Then when you go to ICBC they'll need to "sight" the bike to again confirm the VIN. There are no federal/provincial inspections for motorcycles coming into BC.

The 2nd para in your above quote deals with a different topic then what your trying to do..

Tell ya what, I'll go buy the bike and sell it to you for 1500 more than what I get it for. That'll pay for my transportation, ferry, and meals for both ways, 1 night lodging and of course my time.
Better yet, just go get the thing yourself.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #347
RHSwimmer
Big Fish

Oddometer: 30
Sure, go ahead, buy it, do all the work, show up at the border and roll the dice. Tell CBSA of your "almost guarantee" and watch the smile on their faces. You are making assumptions and unfortunately assumptions can be costly. BTW - I have never disclosed the make of the bike, price, location in the US, age other than it being less than 15 years old or exact extent of the modifications.

RHSwimmer screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 07:38 PM
RHSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #348
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Buying US bike in Canada

Sorry for being to busy too read this whole thread and too incompetent to find the answer via search, but...

What about buying is US bike that's already in Canada??? ie. Alaska registered bike in the Yukon. Can I buy it, insure it, drive home and figure out the registration etc. when I get home to Alberta? Or does the importing need to be done at a border?

Thanks.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #349
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
What about buying is US bike that's already in Canada??? ie. Alaska registered bike in the Yukon. Can I buy it, insure it, drive home and figure out the registration etc. when I get home to Alberta? Or does the importing need to be done at a border?
If we can extrapolate from my experience with selling a car to the U.S. the answer would be "have to do it at the border".

I sold a car to the US with the intent that I would deliver it then come home. That was "undoable" since it meant that I was taking a car to the US to sell it. That made it a commercial export from Canada/import to US which meant lots more paperwork/permits/etc. If the new owner took the car to the US himself, it became a personal export/import which is much easier. So we met at the border and did the deal.

Assuming the story would be much the same to import a US bike to Canada - you'd really want to pick it up in the US and bring it to Canada yourself. So why not meet the guy in Alaska and bring it home from there?

As always, confirm with RIV and CBSA before you commit yourself.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #350
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSwimmer View Post
Sure, go ahead, buy it, do all the work, show up at the border and roll the dice. Tell CBSA of your "almost guarantee" and watch the smile on their faces. You are making assumptions and unfortunately assumptions can be costly. BTW - I have never disclosed the make of the bike, price, location in the US, age other than it being less than 15 years old or exact extent of the modifications.
There's no rolling dice and you won't have to tell the CBSA of anything. They have a "form 1" that's completed by you and them. It includes basic questions like, make, model, VIN, your drivers licence, price paid and a couple other general questions.

You pay the RIV fee online when you get home (must be done within 30 days I believe). Then once you have your recall letter faxed to RIV you then go to ICBC. And they'll do what I mentioned before.

The bike, price, location in the US, whatever doesn't matter. They will never ask about the modifications. But if you just want to ramble to them about all the extensive mods and this is not a normal whatever motorcycle, then you may bring shit upon yourself and more questions may be asked from them. That's why I made the "almost gaurantee" comment. I've seen people at the border with questionable papework and 12 bikes take 10 minutes, and I've seen rude people with perfect paperwork take a lot longer.
I was in a position myself where I was interogated for a 1/2 hr.

I've broughts bikes, boats, and several RVs back. If this were a motorcycle I was interested in, I wouldn't hesitate to bring in back to Canada.

You asked the question, I was just trying to help. Sounds like you convinced yourself that it's too much trouble.

Good luck with your next bike purchase.

Cheers,

Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #351
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
If we can extrapolate from my experience with selling a car to the U.S. the answer would be "have to do it at the border".So why not meet the guy in Alaska and bring it home from there?
Thanks for your help. I was afraid of that. Rider crashed his bike in the Yukon (only minor cosmetic damage to the bike), but he was injured so he left the bike there and was trying to sell it instead of spending the time and money to retrieve it.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #352
Maddog78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hey guys.

I just imported a new 2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon to BC. Abbotsford / Sumas crossing.
Had my paper work all in order so it went trouble free.
20 minutes to get through the 2 borders and the Canadian Tire/ RIV inspection took about a minute.
Any questions, I might be able to help.

One thing you may not be aware of because apparently this just changed recently but RIV will no longer accept a dealer letter for the recall clearance.
It has to be from the manufacturer or the "campaign list" from the dealer's service database.
I used the 2nd option.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #353
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Can I ride a bike across the border into Canada?

Question: I have imported 3 bikes thus far into BC from Washington and each time, I trailered the bike from Seattle across the border and then home. From there I took out a one day permit to have it inspected by CDN Tire and subsequently registered/insured by ICBC.

I always had the impression that even with local US insurance and ICBC Binder Insurance, I would not be able to ride it. Opinions seem varied.

Can I ride it across? Has anyone done it?

And if so, what kind of insurance and 'approvals' do I need in advance.

Many thanks for any help.
LVGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #354
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS View Post
Question: I have imported 3 bikes thus far into BC from Washington and each time, I trailered the bike from Seattle across the border and then home. From there I took out a one day permit to have it inspected by CDN Tire and subsequently registered/insured by ICBC.

I always had the impression that even with local US insurance and ICBC Binder Insurance, I would not be able to ride it. Opinions seem varied.

Can I ride it across? Has anyone done it?

And if so, what kind of insurance and 'approvals' do I need in advance.

Many thanks for any help.
Been there done that. No problem riding it across with just the binder of insurance from ICBC. The trick is the plate. I bought mine from a fellow in San Diego and just kept his plate on it until I got home, then couriered it back to him so he could cancel his registration. Worked flawlessly. I did the same thing for a car I bought in Utah a couple years back and had no problems then either. I never got pulled over by the fuzz, so can't comment on what they think of the scheme but certainly nobody at the border cares about plates or insurance.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #355
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Been there done that. No problem riding it across with just the binder of insurance from ICBC. The trick is the plate. I bought mine from a fellow in San Diego and just kept his plate on it until I got home, then couriered it back to him so he could cancel his registration. Worked flawlessly. I did the same thing for a car I bought in Utah a couple years back and had no problems then either. I never got pulled over by the fuzz, so can't comment on what they think of the scheme but certainly nobody at the border cares about plates or insurance.
Ditto.. but you don't need to return the plate to a WA seller. The binders insurance for ICBC will run ya about 30 bucks. If buying in WA the plate stays on the vehicle to the new owner (so the seller doesn't care about the plate and has no use other than nostalgia). I have several WA plates hanging in the garage.

The two bikes I bought came from the Seattle area. Both times I took the clipper over (from Vic) and rode back with WA plates intact.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #356
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Ditto.. but you don't need to return the plate to a WA seller. The binders insurance for ICBC will run ya about 30 bucks. If buying in WA the plate stays on the vehicle to the new owner (so the seller doesn't care about the plate and has no use other than nostalgia). I have several WA plates hanging in the garage.

The two bikes I bought came from the Seattle area. Both times I took the clipper over (from Vic) and rode back with WA plates intact.
Thank you both, so the ICBC Insurance will cover you while you ride it in the States?
LVGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #357
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS View Post
Thank you both, so the ICBC Insurance will cover you while you ride it in the States?
Yes, just make sure you tell your insurance agent that you will be riding it home so you will need liability insurance on it, not just collision and comprehensive.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #358
Maddog78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Yes, I got that 30 day binding policy for my car when I imported it 3 years ago and it is good for anywhere in the U.S. for 30 days. The dealer had put a temporary Texas tag on it.

For the bike I had a temporary Oklahoma tag, again from the dealer.
The shipper met me literally right at the border and we unloaded the bike right there , shipping taped on the temp. tag and I rode it across and home.
I only live 3 kms. from the border.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #359
bp68
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question New Bike

Has anyone tried to import a brand new bike, that has been purchased direct from a BMW dealer?
Is there any restrictions on new bikes? The US dealer said I might have trouble importing it? I know used bikes are not a problem.
bp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #360
shogunl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp68 View Post
Has anyone tried to import a brand new bike, that has been purchased direct from a BMW dealer?
Is there any restrictions on new bikes? The US dealer said I might have trouble importing it? I know used bikes are not a problem.
There is no restriction that is known.

Just make sure you get dealer recall enquiry letter printout. You need it to register the unit in Canada
BMW here in Canada should provide you with all the warrenty work.
shogunl is offline   Reply With Quote