Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #406
Poutine
(⌐■_■)

Oddometer: 76
KTM makes recall history available online, just need to punch in your VIN and delivery certificate #. I remember reading somewhere that you can give those two numbers to RIV and they'll look it up themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundrybasher View Post
Anyone have recent experience recieving a Recall Clearance letter(Vehicle history report) from KTM from a dealership in the inland northwest?
Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #407
boundrybasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
RIV will not except web form from KTM. Head Office or dealer only.
boundrybasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #408
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
RIV will not except web form from KTM. Head Office or dealer only.
Just get the KTM dealer to print out a vehicle history report, its the same as the recall letter.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #409
boundrybasher
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Just get the KTM dealer to print out a vehicle history report, its the same as the recall letter.
Thanks
Another inmate over on the KTM side gave me the name of a dealer who is helpful. Contacted him and he is onboard so will see how it goes.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #410
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks
Another inmate over on the KTM side gave me the name of a dealer who is helpful. Contacted him and he is onboard so will see how it goes.
What bike are you looking at importing? I see that KTM still has not made anything newer than an 07 admissible to Canada.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #411
boundrybasher
Adventurer

Was a 07 exc

Bad News
Seller got cold feet. Worried about possible complications at border. Wants to sell locally now.
Thanks for the replys guys.
Will keep looking.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #412
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
on the american side, what permits or intransit license plates do i need to drive the border?

mv@gov.ab.ca:
If you are presently in Alberta and able to obtain the Bill of Sale or the Title of that motorcycle prior to your trip to pick up the motorcycle, you would be able to pick up an intransit permit at an Albert Registry Office for the trip from Sault Ste Marie to Alberta. You would need to provide the date that you will be departing from Sault Ste Marie to drive to Calgary as well as current Alberta insurance for the trip.

For the trip to Sault Ste Marie from Monroe, you will need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in Michigan to ascertain if they have a trip permit that can provide you up until the Canadian Border.

i have sent out several emails, but so far have not received any replies, just wondering what other people have done?

ed
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #413
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I am sure that alberta is a bit different than Ont, But here you can buy what called either a "Trip" or "Temp" permit for up to 10 days and that sounds like what they are offering. Before you can pick the bike up you have to have copies of the title faxed to the border so you should have it in your possession before you leave home to get the transit permit.
As for getting to the border I have heard of guys asking the seller to allow them to keep the plate on the bike and keep thier insurance going for a couple extra days after the sail to cover the ride to Canada, then mailing the plates back.
I have done that here before but not sure what the implications would be if you got pulled over states side.
Are you going with the X-Challenge?
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #414
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you going with the X-Challenge?
yes, bought one last dec. from an inmate. its currently in storage waiting for warmer temps to drive it back to AB.

i think everything is lined up, except that little stretch to the border. just wondering what is the best step forward
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #415
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Just to clarify by keeping the seller's plate on the bike you are using his registration not his insurance, that you can get in Alberta before you go.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #416
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

for those who have driven their bikes from the sellers place in america, the their homes in canada

how did you do it?

intransit plate? or did you local (usa) insurance and register it, to driver it back?

im trying to go from michigan to alberta, crossing at sault saint marie, but im currently outside of N.A. and will be going to get the bike before going to alberta, my insurance guy says i have to sign the papers in person.
alberta DMV says their in-transit papers are only good for canada, still waiting for a reply from michigan DMV.

RIV says "Federally we do not regulate registration, insurance, or license plates." im trying to foresee if there will be any problems of me showing up to the border with it plate in MI, submitting my papers for importing it, and driving to calgary. wouldnt like it if the border people said that i could do it that way.....

ed
Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #417
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Just to clarify by keeping the seller's plate on the bike you are using his registration not his insurance, that you can get in Alberta before you go.
so, if i got local insurance and used his plate, all would be good?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #418
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
so, if i got local insurance and used his plate, all would be good?
Yes, here in BC the insurance company called it a "binder of insurance". I used a photocopy of the US title on the bike and a copy of the bill of sale to get the insurance. I left the sellers California plate on it for my ride home and mailed it back to him. I did the same thing with a car I imported from Utah. No one at the border ever asked nor cared about the plate. Only thing I can't comment on is how the cops would view it.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #419
blkhrt81
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I took an Alberta plate to Nevada and rode back with that and the insurance I had already bought. Like has been said before, nobody at the border seemed interested in the plate at all. Once you are in Alberta you do have some time to swap registration but to be honest, I'm not sure it was completely legal south of the border.
blkhrt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #420
JayDee24ca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Washington Broker?

I'm hoping to buy another old bike from the US shortly. When I bought my Eldorado, I had it shipped from Vegas to a friend's place in Bellingham WA, and I drove down with a trailer and brought it back across the border into BC. That option is no longer available to me, so I am wondering if there is a recommeded broker on the Washington side that I could have this newer bike shipped to, who could hold the bike for me. I would then drive down again with a trailer and bring it across the border.
I searched this forum (all 28 pages), and didn't see any specific information on this, so hoping someone out there could help me.
Thanks!
JD
JayDee24ca is offline   Reply With Quote