Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #421
blkhrt81
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee24ca View Post
I'm hoping to buy another old bike from the US shortly. When I bought my Eldorado, I had it shipped from Vegas to a friend's place in Bellingham WA, and I drove down with a trailer and brought it back across the border into BC. That option is no longer available to me, so I am wondering if there is a recommeded broker on the Washington side that I could have this newer bike shipped to, who could hold the bike for me. I would then drive down again with a trailer and bring it across the border.
I searched this forum (all 28 pages), and didn't see any specific information on this, so hoping someone out there could help me.
Thanks!
JD
I've had bikes shipped to I T Transfer in Shelby Montana, they were just a truck depot. Should be somebody in Bellingham that could receive the bike and hold it for a few days until you get there. Just for that, you don't need a broker, I had got the name from my shipping company sh would suggest just asking your shipper if there is somebody they know of.
blkhrt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #422
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
I shipped my bike to Pantec Mini Storage in Blaine. I rented a small indoor storage unit for the motorcycle. You could just have them leave it outside in the secure lot, but I wanted it under cover as it was going to be there over the weekend.
The whole lot seemed quite secure, it was completely fenced and gated.
I think it was about $50 for the storage locker, but that was in 2008.

The woman I spoke with was Sandy @ 360-332-6111.

Cheers
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #423
JayDee24ca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I decided to have the bike shipped to a freind in Bellingham, and pick it up there, same as I did with the Eldorado a few years ago. Its a little further to Sumas than down to the Osoyoos crossing, but what the heck. Thanks all for the input.\
JD
JayDee24ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #424
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Anyone have any experience/knowledge with shipping a frame with a vin number up to Canada?

I bought a bike that I need to change the frame on, and I found a frame from the states, and planing on buying it and getting it shipped up here, and rebuilding the bike I bought.

Anythig special/important i need to know with just shipping a frame, that has the vin on it?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #425
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Anybody shipping to the Bellingham

area in the future.

I have my bike going to Skagit Motorsports, Burlington Wash, $1.00 a day, and they will receive it without you being there.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #426
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
hello.. new to the forum.

i have read been reading as much as i can, both here and other sites about how to import my bike back to cdn...
i bought a bmw G650X Challenge back end of dec. and its been in storage waiting for warmer temps to drive it back to AB.

- Recall clearance letter
i do have a print out from the BMW dealer where my bike is stored it says on the top (printed side ways A4):
Warranty Vehicle Inquiry
THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT TO BE USED OR RELIED UPON FOR IMPORT OR EXPORT PURPOSES
AND IS NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED OR SHARED WITH THIRD PARTIES
*EXCEPT FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION THAT MAY BE REQUIRED BY LAW
2011 BMW of North America

it is dated, has my VIN number on it and all Vehicle Data, listed all the recalls are done and "NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS"
looks like this
if this isnt good enough, what exactly do i need?
or something like this (but with BMW letter head)

thank you
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #427
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
That's the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
hello.. new to the forum.

i have read been reading as much as i can, both here and other sites about how to import my bike back to cdn...
i bought a bmw G650X Challenge back end of dec. and its been in storage waiting for warmer temps to drive it back to AB.

- Recall clearance letter
i do have a print out from the BMW dealer where my bike is stored it says on the top (printed side ways A4):
Warranty Vehicle Inquiry
AND IS NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED OR SHARED WITH THIRD PARTIES
*EXCEPT FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION THAT MAY BE REQUIRED BY LAW
2011 BMW of North America

thank you
The recall printout from BMW of NA is what you will need. I'm glad you were able to get the printout and did not have to resort to paying BMW Canada $500 for the exact same thing.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #428
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
this part has made me think twice.... that maybe i didnt have the correct form, its not that i dont want to sound cheap, but if i can avoid shelling out an extra $500 forms some printed forms.....

thank you
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #429
Ruleof9's
nube

Oddometer: 18
Any Problems?

So, I bought a bike (brand new leftover 2011 Kawasaki Concours) across the border and I was going to fly and ride, but I have now been thinking of shipping it. So I phoned a broker and told him the story and asked if he could help...and he went into a 10 minute conversation that basically ended with my feeling faint, looking pale, sweating and I had some considerable tightness in my chest with some radiating pain to my jaw and left arm...

He told me that there is no way I can import my bike because it is brand new, and that I just threw away my $1,000 deposit

He said it would be stopped at the border and never allowed into the country, he said that even if the dealer titled it and sold it as used the fact that is has only 30 miles on it will "trigger" a border agent to "flag it" and not allow it into the country...EVER...

Okay so WTF?!?! I phoned RIV and they have absolutely no problem with the bike being new and they confirmed that it is admissible. I then phoned CBSA and spoke to an agent who said she had no problem and that they prefer new bikes. She did say that certain manufacturers don't like their product going across the border but it is not up to the CBSA to stop that and it is up to the dealer themselves.

So I'm looking for someone who has done this recently, someone who bought a brand new bike and had it shipped to them in Canada...were there any issues??
Ruleof9's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #430
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
As long as the bike is on the RIV list you can bring it in. Old, new or in pieces, doesn't matter. That Broker was feeding you a line of poo.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #431
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruleof9's View Post
So, I bought a bike (brand new leftover 2011 Kawasaki Concours) across the border and I was going to fly and ride, but I have now been thinking of shipping it. So I phoned a broker and told him the story and asked if he could help...and he went into a 10 minute conversation that basically ended with my feeling faint, looking pale, sweating and I had some considerable tightness in my chest with some radiating pain to my jaw and left arm...

He told me that there is no way I can import my bike because it is brand new, and that I just threw away my $1,000 deposit

He said it would be stopped at the border and never allowed into the country, he said that even if the dealer titled it and sold it as used the fact that is has only 30 miles on it will "trigger" a border agent to "flag it" and not allow it into the country...EVER...

Okay so WTF?!?! I phoned RIV and they have absolutely no problem with the bike being new and they confirmed that it is admissible. I then phoned CBSA and spoke to an agent who said she had no problem and that they prefer new bikes. She did say that certain manufacturers don't like their product going across the border but it is not up to the CBSA to stop that and it is up to the dealer themselves.

So I'm looking for someone who has done this recently, someone who bought a brand new bike and had it shipped to them in Canada...were there any issues??

The border broker you contacted should be red flagged, be made aware publicly, and warnings should be given to everyone that this guy is an idiot who does not know his job, and he should be run out of business. Either he does not know his proffession, or he is offering a falsehood to detract people from bringing product across the border.

This taken from the RIV site April 19th @ 2:00pm pacific daylight time:

SECTION 8 - MOTORCYCLES
(Cont'd)
MANUFACTURER ADMISSIBLE INADMISSIBLE NOTES
2007 AND 2008 XL 1200N Nightster - If VIN begins with 1HD1CZ31
or 1HD1CZ33, see Note-1
2009 TO 2012 XL 1200N Nightster and FORTY-EIGHT - If VIN
begins with 1HD1CZ31, 1HD1CZ33, 1HD1LC31 or 1HD1LC33, see
Note-1
2009 TO 2012 Sportster XL883N Iron - If VIN begins with
1HD4LE21 or 1HD4LE23, see Note-1
2012 XL1200N, XL1200V and XL1200X - If VIN begins with
1HD1LF31, or 1HD1LF33, see Note-1
- MOTOR TRICYCLE -
2009 and newer "Tri-Glide" motor tricycle (three-wheeled) models
HONDA

All models See "EXPLANATIONS" section
INDIAN
MOTORCYCLE
COMPANY
2009 Chief Standard
2009 Chief Deluxe
2009 TO 2011 Chief Roadmaster
2009 TO 2011 Chief Vintage
2010 Chief Bomber
2010 AND 2011 Chief Classic
2010 AND 2011 Chief Dark Horse
2011 Chief Blackhawk
2011 Chief Blackhawk Dark
All other models See the "EXPLANATIONS"
section
KAWASAKI

All models See "EXPLANATIONS" section
KTM

2003 Models 640 LC4 Supermoto, 640 LC4 Adventure, 640 LC4
Enduro & 640 Duke.
2004 Models 625 SMC (LC4, SUPERMOTO),640 ADVENTURE,
ADVENTURE (LC8) & 950 ADVENTURE S (LC8)
2005 AND 2006 Models 625 SMC (LC4, SUPERMOTO), 640
ADVENTURE
(LC4), 950 ADVENTURE (LC8) & 950 ADVENTURE S (LC8)
2006 Models 950 SUPERMOTO (LC8)
2007 Models 400 EXC,450 EXC, 525 EXC, 640 ADVENTURE, 950
SUPERMOTO, 950 SUPER ENDURO, 990 ADVENTURE, 990
ADVENTURE S & 990 SUPER DUKE
All other models See "EXPLANATIONS" section
LEHMAN TRIKES
USA, INC.
2008 and newer Pit Boss (Polaris) motor tricycle (three-wheeled)
models
MOTO GUZZI

2000 TO 2002 Models V11 sport, Quota 1100 ES, California
"Jackal" & California Special.
2003 Models V11 sport, Le Mans, California Stone, California
Special sport, California EV.
2004 and newer models
PIAGGIO & C. S.P.A.

2002 and newer models All other models See "EXPLANATIONS" section
POLARIS
INDUSTRIES INC.
All models See "EXPLANATIONS" section.
SUZUKI # (see notes)

All models See "EXPLANATIONS" section.
#: See "EXPLANATIONS" section,
paragraph #8.
TITAN
MOTORCYCLES OF
AMERICA
2008 and newer models All other models See "EXPLANATIONS" section
TOMOS

1999 TO 2002 Targa LX, Targa and Sprint.
2000 AND 2001 Bullet & TTLX.

Clearly it states that ALL Kawasaki's are admissable.

Steve

Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #432
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Has anybody importing a bike (very) recently? I was at the border (Queenston/Lewiston in Niagara Falls, NY) doing some immigration paperwork exactly one week ago when a guy came through with a Porsche Boxster from Florida. He wasn't asked for any paperwork. The folks in the CBSA office were very (!!!) familiar with the process. He had to fill out a form and pay the taxes. My question: is it still necessary to forward the paperwork to the border prior to importing?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #433
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
....... My question: is it still necessary to forward the paperwork to the border prior to importing?
You need to forward a copy of the title and bill of sale to the U.S.Customs prior to EXPORTING from the U.S. 3 business days. You then stop at the U.S. border, they grab the paperwork, check the VIN and send you on your way.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #434
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
You need to forward a copy of the title and bill of sale to the U.S.Customs prior to EXPORTING from the U.S. 3 business days. You then stop at the U.S. border, they grab the paperwork, check the VIN and send you on your way.
Ok, so this is what I was asking... I was in the immigration office for easily about 45 minutes and saw none of this. Two separate folks importing cars from the US. They were told to fill out some paperwork "at the end of the counter" and then sent directly to the cashier's office to pay the 6% import taxes and the GST (or was it PST?).

I cannot imagine the cashier would be looking for this paperwork, although I could be wrong. Neither person had absolutely any interaction with the CBSA rep at all.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #435
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Ok, so this is what I was asking... I was in the immigration office for easily about 45 minutes and saw none of this. Two separate folks importing cars from the US. They were told to fill out some paperwork "at the end of the counter" and then sent directly to the cashier's office to pay the 6% import taxes and the GST (or was it PST?).

I cannot imagine the cashier would be looking for this paperwork, although I could be wrong. Neither person had absolutely any interaction with the CBSA rep at all.
Sending the paper work to the USA customs is the proper procedure. They require this to properly export the item you are leaving with.

But I dont know if the Canada customs cares. The dont seem to ask for that. They only care about whats required to import the bike. I have been through twice with someone and they never asked for that paper work.

I'm not suggesting you try it.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote