User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #61
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
BMW Recall Clearance Letter

Just a brief post to let you know that RIV WILL accept a Recall Clearance Letter from an American BMW dealership. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY BMW CANADA or any of their dealerships, $500 to produce it you i.e. in spite of what they tell you.

Ride West in Seattle provided me, without charge, a recall letter for the bike that I just imported several weeks ago. Note, I did not buy the bike from them.

Overall, the experience was relatively straight forward and everyone was extremely polite and professional including US and Canada Border/Customs, RIV and ICBC. Canadian Tire was the only exception.

I would definitely do it again and love my (new) R1150GS.

And, before I forget, thanks to everyone participating on this thread. Its been extremely helpful.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #62
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS
Just a brief post to let you know that RIV WILL accept a Recall Clearance Letter from an American BMW dealership. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY BMW CANADA or any of their dealerships, $500 to produce it you i.e. in spite of what they tell you.

Ride West in Seattle provided me, without charge, a recall letter for the bike that I just imported several weeks ago. Note, I did not buy the bike from them.

Overall, the experience was relatively straight forward and everyone was extremely polite and professional including US and Canada Border/Customs, RIV and ICBC. Canadian Tire was the only exception.

I would definitely do it again and love my (new) R1150GS.

And, before I forget, thanks to everyone participating on this thread. Its been extremely helpful.
Thinking of importing a vehicle from Washington State and would have to go through much the same procedures. Since the vehicle is less than 15 years from date of manufacture, I would have to have a Crappy Tire do the 'inspection'.
Please let us know what was exceptional about the CDN Tire experience and which outlet you used -- just so we know which one to avoid.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #63
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
Looks like BC is a lot easier than ontario to ride a bike into.

As stated earlier in this thread you can't get an ontario trip permit without having the bike safety checked and registered (well why would I need a friggin permit then??)
I've tried to ride a bike home legally in ontario before and had no choice but to just throw whatever plate I have on it.
I guess depending on the rules of the state you buy out of a state trip permit might get you home if your insurance company with cover you.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #64
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,551
On another twist that no one talk is don't some states take 2 or more weeks to get you everything you need ? Am I missing a brain cell here ??? There are times I thought of flying to Las vegus and buying down there. The honda helix I want just don't show up in Canada often.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #65
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
I bought a truck in Minnesota. I don't think the state had anything to do with the sale. The US border port where you will export the vehicle thru to Canada requires at least a copy of the title 72 hours before you plan to take the vehicle over the border.

They do some kind of searches of the VIN before you can export the vehicle. When you take the vehicle over the border the US customs will require the actual title certificate and will stamp it cleared for export.

If you deal with a dealer get it written into the sales contract that if you can't export the bike for any reason that they take it back. Covers your ass if sometime in the past the bike was stolen or something.

Make sure it's on the R.I.V list as admissable to Canada.

Good luck.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #66
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
does anyone know the details of importing a bike that's not on the admissibility list?
Case in point: 09 990 ADV, the list stops at 07.
Trying to contact KTM NA but it's like pulling teeth.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #67
adiablolex
Lost again

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex
does anyone know the details of importing a bike that's not on the admissibility list?
Case in point: 09 990 ADV, the list stops at 07.
Trying to contact KTM NA but it's like pulling teeth.
Any help would be appreciated.
Soooo to answer my own question

the only way to bring an inadmissible bike from the US to Canada is to import it through a registered importer such as MIAC.
Paper work usually runs between $500-1K additionally but they handle everything, you just pick up the bike and show up at the border.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #68
adiablolex
Lost again

Quote:
Soooo to answer my own question

the only way to bring an inadmissible bike from the US to Canada is to import it through a registered importer such as MIAC.
Paper work usually runs between $500-1K additionally but they handle everything, you just pick up the bike and show up at the border.
here is some further info:

www.miacinc.ca

Motorcycle Importers Association of Canada

$500 Transport Canada letter
$175 brokerage fee

anybike, from practicaly anywhere...

adiablolex screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 05:09 PM
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #69
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Make that miacinc.ca :)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #70
adiablolex
Lost again

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff
Make that miacinc.ca :)
did I mention I was dislexic?

edited my last post, thanks emmeff

adiablolex screwed with this post 03-25-2010 at 04:39 AM
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #71
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
here is some further info:

www.miacinc.ca

Motorcycle Importers Association of Canada

$500 Transport Canada letter
$175 brokerage fee

anybike, from practicaly anywhere...
wow thats fantastic info, diablo!! maybe there'll be an 1190ADV-R in my future
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #72
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Really It's That Easy??

do you guys really think it's that easy? don't you think that many of us in canada have tried ? i would very much like to see someone really do it. let us know how you did it and how much it costs. there are a lot of bikes in europe i would love to have
YAMAHA SUPER TENERE 1200, HERE I COME

NORTH RIDER
1987 HONDA XL600V ( TRANSALP )
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #73
speedracer
The Lucky One

Oddometer: 176
Yea, they told me they needed that at the crossing into Manitoba too but when I asked the Canadian guys they said they didn't care about it. I've stopped bothering with that step since and have imported many vehicles without incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME
I bought a truck in Minnesota. I don't think the state had anything to do with the sale. The US border port where you will export the vehicle thru to Canada requires at least a copy of the title 72 hours before you plan to take the vehicle over the border.

They do some kind of searches of the VIN before you can export the vehicle. When you take the vehicle over the border the US customs will require the actual title certificate and will stamp it cleared for export.

If you deal with a dealer get it written into the sales contract that if you can't export the bike for any reason that they take it back. Covers your ass if sometime in the past the bike was stolen or something.

Make sure it's on the R.I.V list as admissable to Canada.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #74
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,364
I have imported a Range Rover, exported Corvettes, and imported several bikes. I've had (and won) several wars with Customs and Ministry of Transportation when they tried to gauge me for fees I didn't owe, etc. PM me if I can be of assistance.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #75
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 20,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer
Yea, they told me they needed that at the crossing into Manitoba too but when I asked the Canadian guys they said they didn't care about it. I've stopped bothering with that step since and have imported many vehicles without incident.
If you're talking about the export clearance provided by the U.S. CBP, you're right, the Canadian guys don't care as it has nothing to do with the import of a vehicle into Canada. The U.S. guys might have a problem with it if that vehicle ever tries to re-enter the U.S. though.