Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #1486
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post

Friend of mine raced one of those and an Astro back around 1976 or so. Said the Astro would lean over nicely and slide, the KR frame wanted to stay more upright while sliding. Cool bike. They did it with a Can Am 250 engine too.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #1487
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark View Post
Found this while surfing. A bit of history about the Yankee twin...
Cheers to thinking outside of the box!!!!!

"I remember when the ugly beast arrived back in 1971, and all the measuring, cutting, welding, and fabricating started. This was going to be a labor of love. We worked everyday all day long for about a month before we came up with something looking like a half-miler. The test proved that this would work, much to our surprise.

This monster had tons of horsepower and a wide power band. It was winter and the pro half-mile races didn’t start until spring, so we made a fateful decision to convert the half-miler into a TT Scramblersince the Astrodome TT National was just 6 weeks away.

We installed front brakes and moved one of the two expansion chambers from the right side to the left and voila – a TT Scrambler. NOT. As it turned out, with all our half-mile mods, the thing just didn’t work as planned on the tight left and right turns inside the Dome. Come spring, the Yankee was loaded up and taken east for the opening of the half-mile season.

I was able to race this bike most of a season before Yankee stopped production and fell victim to slow production and newer designs that were much lighter. Oh well, as Sgt. Joe Friday would say, “Just another story of a million in the big city.” I’ve included some pictures of the only Yankee half-miler ever to run. Note that I’m leading the XR750 HD in one of the pics. And the beautiful red, white and blue Yankee Motor Company leathers."

I went over to Robinson's Rochester Cycle in 1981 to pick up some Yankee parts after I found one fairly complete. I got to see the display engine on the show stand and a Yankee roadracer with the California pipes on it, if you know what I mean... I also got to see one set of chambers with mount straps welded up into a one piece unit to bolt on, separate chambers, but attached to each other, exiting on the right side for flat track. I forget the guy's name who took me to the warehouse where they had a bunch of the Yankee stock they bought. Kind of a curly shaggy dark brown haired guy with a beard/mustache. Really a decent guy. I picked up some used clutch plates, a front fender and a sales pamphlet. Pretty cool.

I never got the bike done, it got sold to my brother and traded to a friend as part compensation for restoration of a Bultaco Metralla. That friend is a Spanish bike fanatic with a focus on Bultacos, but finished the Yankee and it sits among a bunch of Buls, a few Ossas and Montesas as well as a Lube.

If you knew some of the people at Yankee, did you ever meet Dan McMillen? I think he was a service rep or the like. He was an acquaintance of mine and a close friend of a neighbor, having grown up in New Philadelphia Ohio where we lived. He was one interesting fun guy. He passed away several years back now. Kind of a shame.

Mark - klx678
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #1488
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
I'm the only guy on a stock frame, only guy with a box stock 38 year old engine, only guy running wannabe flat track tires (K180's) etc so I'm pretty proud of myself. I try to stay humble as possible, as I know I'm still the pup of the class. Only thing I've done with the bike is play with the chassis to make her turn better. Other than that, I just started going faster, not sure how really. It just happened. I get faster each race.

Not sure why you say that, the K180 is a wannabe flat track tire, from what I understood, it WAS a flat track tire made by Dunlop for the 883 Sportster series. They ran 19/18 front/rear rims because that was what came stock at one time or another on one model or another of the Sporty. They had to run DOT legal tires too so the 180 was a DOT legal tire. So the tire was made since the demand was there. A whole lot of name riders including Ricky Graham and Jay Springsteen ran the 883 class one time or another. It's a shame they don't still make the tires for riders who could use them instead of spending a bunch more for the 19s and regular flat track tires. My friend Mac commented once that he'd like to knock the 883 class, when they were racing it, but the fact was the bikes actually worked good for what they were and ran respectable lap times, especially for what they were engine-wise.

That is not to say there is no reason to run the regular 19s, not by any stretch, when racing. It's just to say there's little out there for a street/tracker or other bike with a 19/18 combination It's just a shame to lose a tire that could serve a purpose. I guess they weren't selling too strong anymore. We tried to see if KK had them as they used to be listed as a dirt track tire supplier, they don't have the 180 anymore.

I posted a comment and request on street/tracker tires in another thread. It's about having some kind of choice, which is getting thin. Let's face it, if you run DOT legal tires on a street/tracker you're kind of SOL. The only actual matching pair decent tires are Dunlop K70s. Duro has an MT53 style tire, but is only really getting much going with the 6 ply 4.00-19 that is run on Urals. I'm trying out one of the 4 ply 4.00-18s on my Yamaha 500 this spring. It's finally coming together. All kinds of stuff ready to go on it. It's half a roller, should be a roller or have the engine in mid March during the spring break at school. The work is being done 110 miles from where I live and work, up where I used to live. 15 years, but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm no racer, the knees aren't going to take it any longer, but I'm still going to try to get out for a bit of track time if I can here in Ohio. The Western Reserve Motorcycle Club actually has open track days and I understand it includes their decent short track too. I would really like to take a few laps if I can. No idea how the Duros will work on a track, but it wouldn't be for racing or to win anything, just for fun. Just a bit of nostalgia and fun sliding around a bit. From there, it's on the road.

If I get the project done and sell off the one bike I may try to see if I can play with a Bultaco street/tracker, using a Sherpa frame and a Matador or similar top end and lighting ignition set up, probably with the points style ignition. I have a good friend who has the stuff to create the bike if I can create the money. It would be fun to have a two stroke single on the street, but a waste to do it with something like an Astro or the like... although a Big Horn would be cool. There's something about a 38 hanging in the breeze...

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 11:49 AM
Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #1489
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
The K180 still seems to be available here in NZ, in a variety of sizes.

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...irt_track.aspx

I once used the 21in K180 and found it the best tyre I'd used in gravel or seal. I'd like to use the 120/90x18 front and rear on my bike, but won't fit between the forks.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #1490
markk53
jack of all trades...

Not available anywhere that I checked. They showed in the UK too. Nothing in the U.S. that I could find. All they ever had here was the ones for the 883 class with the 19 and 18.

I'm betting the shipping would kick my ass...

Mark - klx678
Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #1491
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Check this hope you like it.

http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?o...67976&Itemid=0
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #1492
pregrid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Zaeta.........sexy! And it ought to be for $17,660.

pregrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #1493
XStLouis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Can any of you provide any photos of street trackers with headlights integrated into a front number plate? I've got a tracker and I've been thinking of doing this... just looking for ideas...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #1494
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post
Zaeta.........sexy!
You got that right!

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #1495
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStLouis View Post
Can any of you provide any photos of street trackers with headlights integrated into a front number plate? I've got a tracker and I've been thinking of doing this... just looking for ideas...
Check out the vid of this street tracker. Cool hide-away light in the plate
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #1496
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
I've looked at a bunch of designs for my street tracker. Most of the numberplate / headlights I've seen look terrible. A couple look alright. This is the only one I've seen that I think looks really good. Unfortunately it doesn't leave much room for numbers.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #1497
pregrid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Here's mine. Not crazy about it but it works for now. Comes from Omar's..i'm still lookin' for something better or maybe just go with a conventional headlight.Those are turn signals in the upper corners.

pregrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #1498
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I've looked at a bunch of designs for my street tracker. Most of the numberplate / headlights I've seen look terrible. A couple look alright. This is the only one I've seen that I think looks really good. Unfortunately it doesn't leave much room for numbers.

You'd just have to be very fast.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #1499
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Not exactly a street tracker but I sorta liked the way this plate/headlight was done. Probably not technically legal, and I have no idea how good it actually functions as a headlight, but it's at least an idea....

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #1500
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
There was a Triumph Streettracker featured in Cycle World a while back that had small round lights in the pupil section of a classic MOON-EYES graffic on a number plate.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote