Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #1621
*nick*
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzzilla View Post
It's a 4:00X19" Good Year DT1

They can be found on flat track sites and e bay.
thank you!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1622
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 606
This is my 80 Suzuki GN400 stripped of all it's worthless street goods, Mikuni VM36 carb, Unifilter in place of an airbox, Supertrapp muffler and a 54 tooth rear sprocket. The seat/tail is from FastGlass, the side panels are simply cut pieces of ABS sheet. I slid the fork legs up a bit in the triple clamps, and welded shock mounts on the swingarm to move the lower mount forward. This raised the rear of the bike, leveled it out, and made the fork angle more steep, to "quicken" the steering. For the ice tires it rides on Akront rims, 18" rear/19"front using a Kawasaki rear hub, and Suzuki front hub. With a bit of hacksaw work on the swingarm gusset the rear 18" tire with ice screws clears the swingarm easily. Now it spends it's days on the ice tracks around the Green Bay, Wi area. Sure changes the lowly GN400 doesn't it?

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 05:49 AM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #1623
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Here is my ice bike in tracker form with dual sport tires on it. The rear wheel is from a PE400 with a 54 tooth sprocket. The front wheel is from a Suzuki GR650 Tempter. Made my own spacers to center the wheels on the axles. I have also fitted it with a brand new technology combination CDI/Coil unit from kidnmekarts.com. Just need to figure out the timing as right now this little bastard kicks back REAL hard on the kick-start (and yes, I DO know how to kick start a big single, can kick-start my XL600 all the time). The big ol' tach was temporary to see how the engine was spinning. I'm also changing out the master cylinder for one from a RM80, with a caliper from a Kawasaki Z125, much smaller/lighter, and I plan to seriously drill the front disc, and make new footpeg mounts (all for weight reduction, which I may also apply to my own fat self).

CDI UPDATE (1/15/13): the CDI/COIL unit did not work. I went to a CH250 (Honda Elite) CDI with the stock coil, wired the to P1 (red/green trigger wire) and it fires EASILY on one kick and idles right out! Ready for the ice now!!!

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 03:55 PM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #1624
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
Love the GN
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #1625
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
By comparison to most everything posted so far, my bike is really quite stock. Started as this, semi basket case F7 Kawasaki 175 (one of three I bought)....

Stripped down, eventually to the bare frame, but not quite yet in this "progress" photo.....

Had the frame blasted, removed a few seemingly un-necessary items, painted, etc. and up to today I have this....

Still have some wiring and running issues to deal with, and would like to construct a more "race inspired" seat, but it should be a fun, light little, street-tracker-ish bike.

Actually got to ride it a short distance today for the first time. Started on the third kick! I was pleasantly suprised.

Best part is, of the three bikes I bought, I got the first one cleaned up and running well with everything working and sold it at a good enough price that I probably only have $100-200 this bike. The last one is a non-title parts bike that has been picked over pretty good already.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #1626
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Wow! You can make a GN400 look like THAT!!!! Really sweet!
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #1627
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
ICE BIKES Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post

Here is my ice bike in tracker form with dual sport tires on it. The rear wheel is from a PE400 with a 54 tooth sprocket. The front wheel is from a Suzuki GR650 Tempter. Made my own spacers to center the wheels on the axles. I have also fitted it with a brand new technology combination CDI/Coil unit from kidnmekarts.com. Just need to figure out the timing as right now this little bastard kicks back REAL hard on the kick-start (and yes, I DO know how to kick start a big single, can kick-start my XL600 all the time). The big ol' tach was temporary to see how the engine was spinning. I'm also changing out the master cylinder for one from a RM80, with a caliper from a Kawasaki Z125, much smaller/lighter, and I plan to seriously drill the front disc, and make new footpeg mounts (all for weight reduction, which I may also apply to my own fat self).
Love the way your GN turn out. I bet it runs good on the ice too.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #1628
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
We had the Metzler BSA from Florida here the other day for a calendar shoot. Super sweet bike, unfortunatly last night at the AMA Vintage National in Dundee, NY, the rod exited through the front of the cases just after winning the main

1MetzlerBSA
Donzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #1629
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Are any of you old enough to remember a flat tracker named Don Kiger, who what highly ranked in the US back in the early -mid 60s? He nearly died in a bad accident and I bought his BSA Goldstar in a basket so to speak.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #1630
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Question Bsa 250 350 441 500???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzzilla View Post
We had the Metzler BSA from Florida here the other day for a calendar shoot. Super sweet bike, unfortunatly last night at the AMA Vintage National in Dundee, NY, the rod exited through the front of the cases just after winning the main

Thats a 250 model? My first bike!! Learn what the inside looks like too!! 3 pistons, 2 trarns., smashed finger, and she was sold!! Purchase a kaw f11 250, never had the motor apart just ride!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #1631
JeffS77
cheap bastard

while maybe not the best or fastest bike in its day I am thinking about building a '69 Savage 250 ...something along the line of Roberts early years .. I found a damn good bike to start with locally

right now the KLX is getting set up for the Iron and Resin Hooligan Derby in Ventura ... a true run what ya brung event..dirt bikes, street bikes, choppers etc etc eveything will be on the track

all in good fun

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #1632
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Here's a couple of shots from the AMA Vintage National Dirt Track Double Header at the Black Rock Speedway in Dundee, NY.

1ShaneBR

1MesserOnHD

1MikeOnYami
Donzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #1633
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

My GN400 (see page 109 for pics) IS a great fun bike on the ice, when it runs. Been struggling with an ignition timing issue that makes kick-starting a REAL pain (hard kick back). I'm nearly done building a mount for the timing plate so I can have the pulser and rotor exposed, so I can test various timing positions with the combo CDI/Coil unit I installed. I get good spark that will easily jump a .250" gap. So I know spark itself is not the issue, but WHEN the spark occurs is the issue.

But when it has run in the past it was great fun on the ice. And, the original CDI was loosing advance much above 4500 rpm so I wasn't even getting the most out of the engine yet. With the right mods, and the heavy flywheel effect of the huge crankshaft flys, this bike should be good a on short dirt track.

Last winter, on my brother's XL250 ice-bike I finally learned to nail the throttle when the back end broke loose so I could slide/steer with the throttle. I ahd not gotten to that point on the GN because it simply would not spin up. So this winter I am looking forward to seeing what the little GN can really do when I get the back end out there!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #1634
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 729
Just made the deal on this 441....

Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #1635
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldomike View Post
Just made the deal on this 441....