User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

Oddometer: 384
Pipe Dream

So I just got home from 10 amazing days on the road. The last year has brought a ton of changes to my life, some good and some bad. Suffice to say, I'm single and free again...

I'm entertaining the idea of taking a year off to see the States (including Alaska), Canada, New Zealand and Australia, by bike of course. It would entail selling my house and worldy possessions to afford the trip and have money when I come back to North Carolina to look for a job and start over with my life. The bulk of money would come from equity in my house.

I'm trying to get a ball park of how much money I would need for the year? I know that's a very broad question, but it's a place to start. I'm thinking I could realistically be completely debt free with 30k left over for the year and when I come back. Would 20k be enough for a year (probably 7 months in N.A. and 5 in NZ and AU)? That would leave 10k to get my life back on track when I come home.

I have yet to figure out getting a bike over the pond (rent or buy and sell when I leave). I know plane tickets will be a big expense, but I'll be flying from the west coast. In terms of day to day living, I'm content with bare bones living, and camping, eating cheap, etc., is cool with me. I'm also open to working a little here and there to make ends meet, especially in NZ and AU.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get some basic advice. Good or bad idea? Am I in the ballpark in regards to money I'll need? What I'm I forgetting?
What has been my greatest lesson from this bout with death? The sun still rises each morning; birds sing and the coffee is strong and hot. Hope and faith draw forth another breath, and the air need not be bitter. I should not judge another human being through the temperance of my own mind and emotions.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Karpaasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Great idea- Expenses on a trip like that depend mostly on your own personal style of touring. My brother and I are pretty cheap so when we do a longer trip its usually around 60-70 dollars per day and we ride a lot of miles per day. If we were taking it easy I'd imagine it would be closer to 50. Other folks that like to stay in hotels, eat at restaurants more often, drink, etc tend to spend closer to 100 per day or more.

If you averaged around 60 dollars per day you could do the trip with 10k or so left over without working at all.

As far as what you may be forgetting- incidentals, the "oh shit" costs. You're going to be putting a lot of miles on your bike so a lot of things can go wrong. If you are able to do most of your own repairs you can cut down on this a lot but not entirely. Also I'm not sure how insurance works in NZ and Downunder so if you can't get comprehensive collision coverage an accident could potentially be trip ending (not to mention the prospect for personal injury).
j_seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

Oddometer: 384
Thanks for the advice...

In the States I think $60 a day is easy for the basics (shelter, food and gas). Recently I was paying between $14-$17 for legal camping spots in state parks. Figure an average of 350 miles a day at $3.00 a gallon and that's $21.00. That leaves $19.00 for food. Some days it will be less and other days more. I'm sure a bed will be nice here and there.

Sure, I'll definitely need oil changes which I can do myself, but also tires, chains, sprockets, etc.

The real guess is what it's going to take to get by in Oz and NZ?

I will also need insurance for the bike and myself. I do want to keep health insurance, but at my age and in good health, I should be able to get it fairly cheap with a high deductible.

Hmmm...
What has been my greatest lesson from this bout with death? The sun still rises each morning; birds sing and the coffee is strong and hot. Hope and faith draw forth another breath, and the air need not be bitter. I should not judge another human being through the temperance of my own mind and emotions.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Karpaasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Van Isle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
The general "quote" for western countries like US, Oz, NZ, most of Europe is $60-$80 a day for all in, sometimes even including shipping.

The best way to get a bike somewhere overseas is to fly it there; costs run about par with one person's ticket one way.

Your $20K will last you a good time on the road if you're smart about it. Another general guideline is take how much you have, divide it by the time you have, and then MAKE IT WORK. Period.

Lots more info at www.horizonsunlimited.com

Cheers,
VI
Van Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Travel in smaller countries where the US dollar has a higher value and you can stretch your dollar even further if you get away from the tourist areas

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote