Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 3,097
Question for UK riders,slighty off topic

G/day everyone,

M/C content, I will be touring Europe on my F800GS, my mates will be collecting 2 new 1200GS's in England and like wise touring Europe, this year.

We will meet some where in England in mid June this year, I start off in early April in Greece, and will be attending the TT.

Question. We are looking for advice, tips, recommendations to do a narrowboat tour preferably of the Liverpool/Leeds canal system, (but open to suggestions). Park the bikes in a safe spot, between 4/7 days touring. We are flexible with dates and routes.

Any info greatly appreciated, especially good overnight pub stops.

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
G/day everyone,

M/C content, I will be touring Europe on my F800GS, my mates will be collecting 2 new 1200GS's in England and like wise touring Europe, this year.

We will meet some where in England in mid June this year, I start off in early April in Greece, and will be attending the TT.

Question. We are looking for advice, tips, recommendations to do a narrowboat tour preferably of the Liverpool/Leeds canal system, (but open to suggestions). Park the bikes in a safe spot, between 4/7 days touring. We are flexible with dates and routes.

Any info greatly appreciated, especially good overnight pub stops.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I live in Norfolk. I'll be putting up a link latter on. Some question I need to know. How will you be getting in to the UK? A guess, as you say you will be starting from Greece. So I'm going to say over land and crossing at Dover.

As for the narrow boat trip. You woun't do much better than this place.

http://goo.gl/maps/2E2yS

Wroxham has every thing you are needing in the way of a boat trip. In fact it's a town that is geared up for water way trip's. As for safe parking for your bike's while you do the trip. The question is what you call safe? Me I would ask at a local bike shop. Tell them your problem, and see if they can find space to store your bike up for a small charge.

What ever you do, it sound's like a nice kind of adventure. As for the TT. Take lots of money. You will need it.
John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by John933 View Post
Hi Chris,

I live in Norfolk. I'll be putting up a link latter on. Some question I need to know. How will you be getting in to the UK? A guess, as you say you will be starting from Greece. So I'm going to say over land and crossing at Dover.

As for the narrow boat trip. You woun't do much better than this place.

http://goo.gl/maps/2E2yS

Wroxham has every thing you are needing in the way of a boat trip. In fact it's a town that is geared up for water way trip's. As for safe parking for your bike's while you do the trip. The question is what you call safe? Me I would ask at a local bike shop. Tell them your problem, and see if they can find space to store your bike up for a small charge.

What ever you do, it sound's like a nice kind of adventure. As for the TT. Take lots of money. You will need it.
John933
G/day John,

Thank you for reply and info, much appreciated

I put my bike in a container along with 15 bikes here in Melbourne.("Get Routed"). Hopefully we collect the bikes in Athens on the 8th April. I fly into Turkey on the 1st April, tour Gallipolli then into Greece.

A lot of us are winding our way to the TT, I am attending the NorthWest 200 the week before, and then will cross into England on the ferry at Liverpool. I want to visit the aviation museum at Liverpool, where the only complete Halifax bomber is. My father flew in them during WW2, and I want to explore the Lakes District.

My friends fly into the UK and collect their new 1200GS's.

Would love to meet fellow ADVriders.

We ship our bikes out of Flixstowe late September.

Chris

Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #4
John933
GSX 1400

If you have all that time on your hand's. Look at getting across in to Europe. Make the crossing at Dover. Then it's up to you. Sound's like you are going to have a great time. Wish you well.
John933
Old 02-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 616
The Leeds and Liverpool is a canal, Wroxham is on the Broads. The Norfolk Broads will be GRP cruisers as opposed to narrowboats. If you want to hire on the L&L Ive heard Barnoldswick to Saltaire and back is a good scenic weeks trip, about 60 miles give or take. The L&L is a widebeam canal, ie: the locks are designed to take two 610" wide boats at the same time. There are also a lot of swingbridges to deal with but that isnt unusual on canals.

Whatever company you end up hiring from, make sure they accompany you to the first lock to show you how it all works. Nothing particularly difficult but locks deserve respect, if you dont pay attention it is easy to go wrong. When descending there is a large slab that the top gates sit on called the cill. This is marked in paint on the side of the lock. You need to make sure the back of the boat is forward of the cill or else there is a very real risk of hanging the boat when it descends. Any reputable hire company will be happy to take you through a lock. A video isnt adequate training.

Most narrowboat marinas/boatyards are very motorbike friendly. It should be no problem leaving the bike for a week. Check with the yard first but I would be very surprised if it was an issue.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:02 AM   #6
John933
GSX 1400

What the man is saying, he's right....
John933
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Eddie990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Heard good things about these guys but not used them myself.

http://www.silsdenboats.co.uk/
Eddie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Shellbutnoegg
Adventurer

You should be able to get loads of advise from the Canal and river trust web site.
Shellbutnoegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Shellbutnoegg
Adventurer

Should get plenty of information from canal and river trust web site
Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Shellbutnoegg
Adventurer

Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 616
Another useful site for all things inland waterway related

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/index.php
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 AM   #12
BobFromAccounts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I've done a bit of traveling on the canal system and a lot of the boat operators have secure parking.
Try this for info http://www.canaljunction.com there are a lot of links that take you to other sites

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a motorcycle beneath one's bum."
The way of Lao-tzu Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)
BobFromAccounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
OneBall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Chris

I may be wrong but there are two Halifaxes in the UK a restored one in Yorkshire and a wreck in the RAF museum in Hendon, London. Might be worth checking before you plan your trip around a visit to Liverpool
OneBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
STR8upMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Take me with you! I'm moving to Suffolk in April. May be taking an 09 F650gs with me or may end up with an r1200gs just can't figure out if I buy one in Germany how hard it is to return it to the US.
STR8upMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #15
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Thanks to everyone who replied,

We have just signed with Silsden Canal Boats

We take over the "Marley's Drum" canal boat on Sunday 14th June 2015 for 7 days
They sound like good people to deal with.
Secure parking for our bikes
And considering that we are hiring the boat in the middle of your summer/tourist season, the rates are very reasonable, less then $120 Oz per night per person. Excellent!

Cheers

Chris