ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,194
Bushnell ONIX 400

CHECK THIS OUT!! XM Radio and Bushnell have just introduced the Bushnell Onix 400, Portable GPS, XM Radio and Real Time Local Weather data.

Apparently, weather content is overlaid (screen layering) on the navigation screen you're following. I guess the advantage is, that you will see storm fronts moving towards (or away from) your current (LOCAL) position and/or intended route -- including potentiall dangerous lighting storms, snow, ice etc. You can also download airal photos and satelite images and reference them by GPS coodinance.

I believe it wil also provide weather forcasts along your ploted course.

Learn More: http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ce...r-tracker.html

Drifter screwed with this post 01-11-2007 at 09:24 PM
Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well? Any reaction? What do you guys think of this thing?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386
What does it cost per month?

The reason I ask is that XM Weather is $100 per month...That is a little out side of my pocket book...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6

KCDakar screwed with this post 01-12-2007 at 05:30 PM
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar59
What does it cost per month?

The reason I ask is that XM Weather is $100 per month...That is a little out side of my pocket book...
Don't know what the monthly rate will be for the weather aspect. I'm certain that it won't be beyond what a typical consumer would find reasonble. My guess is n additional $5-$10 on top of the standard XM subscription rate. But just a guess.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,621
Weather is either $29 or $39 per month. I'd have to look around again for it to be sure.
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04R1150RS
Weather is either $29 or $39 per month. I'd have to look around again for it to be sure.
If weather is that much for a portable device, they won't have many weather activations and/or, they won't sell many of the units IMO.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

XMWX is $100 one time fee and $99 per month.
http://www.xmwxweather.com/weather/ground.xmc

This is what they charge now for WX. I hope they lower it but I don't see that coming anytime soon.
As I said before it is out of my price range.

And it is cheaper if you are not buying the groud package!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Yeah. If you want a whole lot of wx info you can't use, that's the price.

Go here: http://www.xmwxweather.com/weather/m...ce_pricing.xmc

and you will find you can pick from different packages 2 $29 and $49 per month. One time registration fee is also in effect. You can suspend they service for the winter if you want and reactivate it in the spring. You have to ask for it to be suspended, not canceled. Canceling will get you another startup fee in the spring. I use the sailor package myself, but the two others might fit your needs better.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint

and you will find you can pick from different packages 2 $29 and $49 per month. One time registration fee is also in effect. You can suspend they service for the winter if you want and reactivate it in the spring. You have to ask for it to be suspended, not canceled. Canceling will get you another startup fee in the spring. I use the sailor package myself, but the two others might fit your needs better.
Thank you for the link.
What GPS do you use it with?

Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I just moved from a 2610 to the Garmin 478.

It works great. I keep reading about all the Zumo stuff and am glad I decided on the 478.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
Stook
Who you callin' a n00b?

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint

Do you know if this service requires the GXM30 ($200.00) antenna?

You wouldn't happen to be familiar with the Sirius weather service would you? Hard to evaluate that one fully from their website, but it looks comparable. They indicate that they are offering a $29.99/month "charter subscriber" rate for a full package. I couldn't figure out if a special antenna was required for Sirius or not.

I would like to use whatever package I end up getting with a Garmin 2820 GPS. Care to offer an opinion on which might work best with that unit?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stook
Yes it does, but you can find the antenna cheaper then $200.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stook

You wouldn't happen to be familiar with the Sirius weather service would you? Hard to evaluate that one fully from their website, but it looks comparable. They indicate that they are offering a $29.99/month "charter subscriber" rate for a full package. I couldn't figure out if a special antenna was required for Sirius or not.

I would like to use whatever package I end up getting with a Garmin 2820 GPS. Care to offer an opinion on which might work best with that unit?
Garmin offers only XM via the GXM30 receiver/antenna. You'll need the GXM30 and an XM subscription for weather service with weather-enabled Gamin units. Pricing is $30-50/mo for the marine subscriptions that most people use. The $100/mo subscription is intended for emergency service/first responders and includes much more information than the non-marine GPSs will display. (Of the most commonly used motorcycling GPSs, I believe that only the Garmin '376, , '378 and '478 units will display the popular near-realtime NEXRAD data. Garmin's comparable aviation units will too -- at 2 to 3 times the price.)

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Stook
Who you callin' a n00b?

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Garmin offers only XM via the GXM30 receiver/antenna. You'll need the GXM30 and an XM subscription for weather service with weather-enabled Gamin units. Pricing is $30-50/mo for the marine subscriptions that most people use. The $100/mo subscription is intended for emergency service/first responders and includes much more information than the non-marine GPSs will display. (Of the most commonly used motorcycling GPSs, I believe that only the Garmin '376, , '378 and '478 units will display the popular near-realtime NEXRAD data. Garmin's comparable aviation units will too -- at 2 to 3 times the price.)

Cheers.
Thanks! Very good info, and greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,056
Geez, for that kind of monthly fee, wouldn't you just get a web enabled phone or pda and get your weather online?

I dunno, I guess I'm not that hard core

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote