User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
pburke OP
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Farkle Day at CJRacer's place

Ok, he called it "950 Tech Day," but for me it meant mostly installing new bling parts and not much tech. There were a number of us at his house, all of us leaching off his knowledge and hospitality

Saturday morning we had five 950s in his garage or driveway at one point in time, but it all started Friday night with a strip down of the bikes that were already there. Oil was drained, etc. Bill dug into his bike to prep it for the valve check he had planned, while Craig only changed his oil and then mostly worked on the bikes and tires of the others.

Friday night it began - Bills orange beauty would get stripped right down to the cylinder heads:

My first project took about 3 minutes and I can't imagine taking more pictures of installing the pre-filter - it's that easy:

ok, but you should use your head when you put the bike back together. Can you see what's wrong in this picture?

Prefilters don't eliminate the main filter, I guess... I supposed I was distracted by Bill's open heart surgery:

He has dozens of photos of the process, and I'm sure he will post something about this project here. I just took the money shots to spice up my dull thread And while we're showing the valve check bike, here's some more shots of that effort

there's a go and no go feeler - Bill will tell you what that means

Here's some 10,000+ mile cam lobes looking good:

Back to my bike - I actually had a big project ahead of me, too. Steering stabilizer and new bars, grip heaters and grips were on the menu. First the bike had to secured, with front wheel strapped to the bike so that the forks would not "drop out" as the warning in the installation instructions proclaimed. I figured I should follow that advice and put some straps around the front wheel axle and the frame of the bike. The same straps also were really useful to hold the old bar out of the way while I was getting into the old triple clamp:

Next I had to loosen up the center bolt and working under Craig's instructions, everything had to be done with the on-board toolkit, at least as far as possible. You'll soon find out that there's no wrench that fits on that bold, but then again Craig has the solution; the stock toolkit DOES deliver:

After this lesson in how to make he most of your tools, I moved on to the part of the installation instructions that took half the first page - removal of the keylock!

The instructions point out that you will need to drill out the heads of the bols holding it to the triple clamp and use an extraction tool, or cut a slot into them and use an impact flathead driver (lotsa loc-tite in there from the factory). However, if you're lucky like me, you have a used bike that already had a steering stabilizer installed earlier in its life and had the original owner curse and kick the bike for you. So all it took me was a screw driver and a few turns and the keylock fell off the stock clamp

oh yes - half way there, at least so I thought...

Next came the assembly of the new triple clamp - a sharp looking unit from BRP that has all the holes for cable clamps, keylock and some accessories I don't even have

The keylock installs in seconds

Next the risers get mounted to make room for the stabilizer right below the bars. These are some beefy bolts in rubber bushings

Then the whole unit had to go back on the forks. With a little push against the front wheel (read the instructions ) it took less than a minute and we had it mounted, allowing Craig to go back and help Bill with his valves.

As it turned out later, you should follow the instructions to the letter. Even though they include really nice hex pinch bolts, the instructions say "use the stock pinch bolts." I didn't listen. Well... an hour later, I had to go back to this point and replace them, because these nice hex bolts rub against the plastic of the side covers when you turn the forks. Stock bolts don't stick out that far and work just fine...

Next the installation of the little tower the stabilizer arm will hook on. Very easy on this bike. Some loctite and we're all set

All these other holes in my frame show that there had been a different steering stabilizer in the past. The BRP unit mounts to stock threaded holes provided by KTM that have a small plastic plug in them. Punch them out and screw in the tower. Done.

Up next the part that took much longer than I anticipated: changing the handle bars to a Renthal 608 bend bar to add a little height to the setup and less rear sweep. This meant new grip heater install and new grips. First some heat shrink under the left heater. It's too tight. What to do? Have Elmer use brute force to force that thing on there:

The part that followed was the least memorable of he weekend: grip glue! he fumes that come off that stuff are just plain nasty. I felt like that for about 3 hours following the initial grip glue sniff. You can't get away from it because you have to fight with the grips to get them on the bars before the glue dries, all while the chemicals are evaporating in your face. So no pix of that part of the project. Once he grips were all done and we had some great chili for dinner, things looked better again - the blue ones are faster, but you knew that already:

While I was admiring all my new blue bling, Craig, Elmer, and Bill disappeared for a while to mount some new rubber for Elmer. They can fill you in on those details. There's even a video of the bead breaking right here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=140

After my stabilizer and bars were all installed, I only had one more project left: the removal of those pesky Akrapovic inserts. I had not been able to get them out with vise grips and other 'normal' tools. Craig got serious right away:

But even though he put a really nice patina on the titanium with that torch, we had a bitch of a time to get that right insert out.

Heat followed by hard hits on a bolt that hooked to the inside of the insert didn't work. We gave up for a while but then I hit it a few more times after everything had cooled down a little more and it finally released the insert.

They haven't been back in there since then...

And here a final view of the new bar with BRP/Scotts stabilizer setup. Combined with the lowered Fastway pegs, I can finally ride the bike standing up without being uncomfortable. Wobbles at high speed also are reduced to near nothing (at least those wobbles I tried to induce on purpose on the way home didn't go very far).

What's next? That Rekluse clutch sounds tempting, and perhaps a Renazco seat if I can find a spare seat pan at a decent price.

Bill got his bike back together on Saturday, Elmer rode off with crash bars, new high fender anda new rear tire. Craig worked all weekend and his bike only saw an oil change.

Thanks to Craig, Katie and everyone else who made this weekend possible. I am sure I would not have done these jobs myself alone at home. It really motivates to dig into the bike when you're not the only one wrenching.
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Looks a great idea guys.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
willnevergrowup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
How wet did you get on the ride home????
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
pburke OP
Talks more than he rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by willnevergrowup
How wet did you get on the ride home????
not bad - just the visor had to be dried a few times - toes got a little wet around the seams of the old Tech-8's and my gloves were soaked. Much more comfortable than the cold ride out there, though.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
imgonnasnap
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
I installed my scotts damper this weekend on my SE, and since i didnt have a very good impact tool, or extractor for thejob, i drilled the "bolt" out with an appropriate sized drill bit, then a larger one for the insert area of the bolt head to clear away as much bolt as possible, then i took a pry bar and popped it off easier than jiffy pop.
ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
wshoc840
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Nice job peter on the write up so far. I'm not much at adding text as I think the saying is true....'a picture says a 10000000 words.' So here is a few more from the tech weekend at Craig's Garage:

Friday night arrivals..... Yep amongst all that orange and Blue is a Guzzi Quota on the left:

Pete's bike going under the knife:

Andrew and Elmer's Bike's. This is before shot of Elmer's rig on the Right:

The restructuring of Elmer's Rig. His project consistes of a High Fender, new Sw-motech Crash bars (which i just ordered), and a new rear tire. :

and the finished product....Ain't she perty:

During the day this Bike Showed up. a 1983 Maico 250 Spider and it barked like a dog:

then Craig took us To Petri's Motorsports to Pick up some parts and to drool over all the parts in stock:

I of course had to attend to my valve check....

What do you mean left over parts.....

Craig runs a clean shop and I hope to do this again in another 10000 miles

CJ Designs LLC - Specializing in custom parts for KTM ADV motorcycles
CJ Designs Blog
wshoc840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgsbill
During the day this Bike Showed up. a 1983 Maico 250 Spider and it barked like a dog:
....and snarled as it snapped yet another leg!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Great Job guys. That was a lot of fun....alot of work, but well worth it. Maybe next year I can do it when it's warmer out and we can camp out in the "Back 40"

It was too bad it rained Sun, that would have been great to hit some trails and put some "test" miles on.

Katie had fun too. She likes to cook for people, so I hope everything was good. I know I was full.

I don't have any pics to add, but Kevin is working on getting the loop around the track edited. When that is ready I'll post it. He taped his camera to the front of the Spider. First camera shook to death and turned it self off, next one worked great.

Good times, It was nice to see you guys again.

Thanks,
CJ
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,245
Noticed a few 950's without the CJ rack!! What kind of friends are these?

Nice seeing all the 950/990's congregating. They're multiplying .
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
pburke OP
Talks more than he rides

the one without the rack wasn't allowed inside the garage

The other one that arrived without rack, but left with rack. If you look real close in that mega orange KTM shop picture, you'll notice a CJ rack hanging on the display rack top left corner!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys
Nice seeing all the 950/990's congregating. They're festering .
Fixed.

pburke - that must have been you at the Slimy Crud Run with the blue S model with the heat tape on the header. I had a black all-too-clean 950 and day-glo stich.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
pburke OP
Talks more than he rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_bmw_for_me
Fixed.

pburke - that must have been you at the Slimy Crud Run with the blue S model with the heat tape on the header. I had a black all-too-clean 950 and day-glo stich.
nope - mine has some sort of black jet-hot coating on the headers. That was GPZ1170's bike. Mine's the one that sez "Go!!!" on the side

pburke screwed with this post 10-19-2007 at 07:05 AM
Old 10-19-2007, 04:45 AM   #13
GPZ1170
Consumer Whore

Oddometer: 198
That was my blue 950 S. Drop me an email sometime if you want to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_bmw_for_me
Fixed.

GPZ1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
Dru
Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Nice jobs Boyz!
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,235
It looks like you guys got your QUOTA of work done! All I did was ride IA gravel, but then someone had to represent the 950 contention. The kids left it up to the old man and Diesel!

For Sale 950 Adv. 2005
625sxc 2004
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote