ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
ADVNubie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Help! 2012 Super Ten or 2014 strom 1000

Hey all,

Soo I'm trading in my 2008 Warrior..
And I'm looking to go a little more versatile,
Live in Texas now which means I'll be doing more miles between basically everything..
In Texas distance is measured in hours. But I want the ability to go on dirt/farm and maybe some trails.
I have the opportunity to pick up either a 2014 Strom or 2012 Super Ten for about the same price, around 9990.
The question then is... Which one to get??
ADVNubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,896
Take cash and ask for a demo ride of ea.

Whichever one makes you feel at one with the bike . . .
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
billyp
n00b

Oddometer: 2
good advice

Take both for a ride.I did and liked both.I'm a Yamaha guy and drive shaft put me on a Tenere.Only 500 miles so far but very happy with my choice.They both feel light when riding.Just feels like there's more to the Tenere.
billyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Lowcountry25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I've never ridden a Vstrom, but I really love my 2013 Super Tenere. I have zero complaints about the bike, and as someone above mentioned, I love that shaft drive. What a machine.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
If you like twisty roads and/or you are not tall...Suzuki.

If you are tall and/or wanna go further off-road, Yamaha.

I love my XT1200 and the DL is awesome! Win Win, get one.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #6
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
The Vee2 design makes the driver exposed to just about every weather element. s10 is a much more accomplished rig. So if travel around the block or just for fun - i would say Suzuki, as it's more agile. For something remote - only the Yamaha
Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
The Vee2 design makes the driver exposed to just about every weather element.
well if I don΄t want to be exposed to the elements to a certain degree, then I΄ll just go on four wheels.

You make the Vee2 sound like it is a naked bike, which it untrue, there΄s quite a bit of fairing and adjustable screen. In fact rider΄s legs are quite exposed to the wind, but same can be said of all V-Stroms, and many other ADV bikes, too.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #8
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
The Vee2 design makes the driver exposed to just about every weather element. s10 is a much more accomplished rig. So if travel around the block or just for fun - i would say Suzuki, as it's more agile. For something remote - only the Yamaha
The ST does offer more leg protection . . . which is nice to have during the colder months. However, in the warmer months, it emits more heat on your legs. The V2 is a very cool operating engine . . . it is easier to wear warmer pants in the winter on than V2 to be comfortable . . . than the reverse in the summer on the ST.

I decided on the V2 over the ST due to its smoother 90 degree V-Twin engine. If I was planning on taking long road trips during wet weather . . . the driveshaft would definitely be a great benefit.

You can't go wrong with either bike:

Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,729
howdy

ADVnu
I don't know what you weigh, or if you plan on 2-up what you both weigh [none of my biz, right!~] but both those are big bikes. I would suggest you at least entertain the idea of the Wee2 or 2.5 [XT]. its an awesome bike for versatility, attested by a horde of folks that can afford whatever.

don't know where you live exactly but if you're in the New Braunfels area anytime shoot a note - I'd be glad to let you ride my weestrom - its equipped for just about every encounter so gives an idea of what to look for, add, etc

for western hill country & west tx, New Mexico, my first choice would be any one of the Wee2 group... just my .02... whatever else might make the shortlist would be behind that one, and have to show me compelling reason to switch - what do I gain?, what do I lose?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
I decided on the V2 over the ST due to its engine.
ahh, that was not nice to come up with engine argument -- it's certainly very hard to beat the 90-twin.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
ADVnu
I don't know what you weigh, or if you plan on 2-up what you both weigh [none of my biz, right!~] but both those are big bikes. I would suggest you at least entertain the idea of the Wee2 or 2.5 [XT]. its an awesome bike for versatility, attested by a horde of folks that can afford whatever.
The picture above is deceiving, and makes the Vee2 look a lot wider in the front than it is in reality, in which the S10's body is much wider.

In terms of weight, the new Vee2 (502 lbs) is only a 30 pounds more than the wee2 (472 lbs), whereas the 2012 S10 is around 574 lbs

When I rode the vee and wee back-to-back, the weight actually felt about the same, both at a stand-still and while moving.

I sat on the S10 yesterday in a dealership...the body completely blocks your front legs from oncoming wind...I think mcmann summarized the pros/cons of this very well above. On the Vee2, your legs are a little more exposed, and the seat is more narrow near the tank end for a better "grasp" of your legs
Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

mcmann screwed with this post 03-27-2015 at 09:24 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
adv397
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I have the vee and my neighbor has the st both great bikes we have switched a lot during rides and both like the vee better mainly because the motor is more fun to ride but I really don't think you can go wrong with these two both are great bikes
adv397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
Farmer Hank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Rode the 2012 S10 and found it to be well made, comfortable but boring. Slow to respond (both motor and handling) and about as involving to ride as KLR or a Camry. Bought my 3rd Strom this year and I like it a lot for strafing WV twisties. Quicker handling, less flywheel weight, a whole lot lighter, and just as reliable as the Tenere.

Farmer Hank
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Farmer Hank
Find More Posts by Farmer Hank
Add Farmer Hank to Your Contacts

Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
One of the most fun bikes I ever owned was my 1980 KZ 750. Quick steering (for the time), agile, punchy responsive motor ( especially after I added the MAC pipe ), great brakes. Although not a light bike, it was about 50 lbs lighter than other bikes in the class. Sound familiar? With sticky Avon Super Venoms, it was awesome.

The new Strom 1000 is the old time sporting standard X2. Better brakes, handling, smoothness and comfort and it will be about 100 times more reliable and durable and even more fun if I was still 35. Oh well, you can't have everything. lol

BTW: anyone who wants good feedback on the S10 and the Strom 1000 should check out Desert Dave's posts. The last time I checked he owned both bikes and liked them, but found they were not strictly comparable.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com

Phipsd screwed with this post 03-27-2015 at 11:25 AM
Phipsd is online now   Reply With Quote