ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
DustyRags OP
Idiot

Oddometer: 808
What's High Mileage on a Wee?

So the Nighthawk rolled over 35,000 miles this weekend, and now that I'm commuting 16 miles each way through San Francisco traffic, it's time to get something new. Something with a bit more wind protection, a more upright riding position, and fuel injection.

In short, a '04-'07 or so Wee. Something I can snag for under $3.5-4k and mercilessly pound back and forth across the bridge in all weather, and off into the woods to go camping on the weekend. Sometimes with the girlfriend on the back.

What's acceptable mileage on a commuter for these things? Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I were to pick up a 30k mile bike? I do about 10k miles/year, and it's gonna be my only* vehicle.

*OK, there's also the '75 XL350 project bike, but I'm not counting on that.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 102,739
I've heard of DL650s with well over 100,000 miles on them. Most of them run well up there but tend to use oil.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,470
A Wee with over 100K isn't that unheard of on the Stromtrooper site. They are good all around bikes and with valve checks and regular maintenance they will go many, many miles.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
DustyRags OP
Idiot

Sweet, quick responses! :)

Anything to be aware of? Like, do they need wheel bearings replaced at 30,000 miles or something like that? Or just regular maintenance?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
y2kddearth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Mine currently has 66,000 miles nothing but normal maintenance. Plan on taking it well over 100,000.
y2kddearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
DustyRags OP
Idiot

Nice!

Now I just gotta get the NH all cleaned up and sold, and it's off to the classifieds!

Anything to look for? I'm shooting for a final goal of Wee with crash bars (see: camping), top box, and hand guards. Possibly raised bars- we'll see. Am I missing anything?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I've heard of DL650s with well over 100,000 miles on them. Most of them run well up there but tend to use oil.
116k as of yesterday, and this is accurate. In the 4000-mile oil change interval, I go through around a quart--more if I'm running 80mph all day with the stock countershaft sprocket, less if I'm riding back roads and/or using a bigger sprocket. Runs great otherwise and shows no signs of slowing down. The previous owner smoked the clutch around 30k (his fault, he says) and I had to replace a throttle position sensor at 99k. Otherwise it's been nothing but scheduled maintenance. The valves were last adjusted at 60k and they were all still in spec when I checked them at 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Anything to look for? I'm shooting for a final goal of Wee with crash bars (see: camping), top box, and hand guards. Possibly raised bars- we'll see. Am I missing anything?
Side cases for camping are nice. I lived in California when I bought my Wee, and the three-box setup is awesome. You can run just the top case around town and toss the side cases on when you need the space. And, as you'll see in every thread about farkles, a skidplate is a requirement.

der_saeufer screwed with this post 05-11-2015 at 05:44 PM
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
DustyRags OP
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Side cases for camping are nice. I lived in California when I bought my Wee, and the three-box setup is awesome. You can run just the top case around town and toss the side cases on when you need the space. And, as you'll see in every thread about farkles, a skidplate is a requirement.
I'd love to go to a three-box setup- we'll see if that's in the cards. For starters, definitely a top box so I have SOME lockable space, and the girl has a place to lean back.

Skidplate- I'm not an off roader (yet), and I'm working on getting an old XL350 back on the road to take care of that itch. I don't anticipate this thing would ever go on more than the occasional dirt road. Are skidplates really necessary for that? Since this will be a 90% commute bike, I'd love to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
And, as you'll see in every thread about farkles, a skidplate is a requirement.
And a center stand; makes chain maintenance much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Are skidplates really necessary for that? Since this will be a 90% commute bike, I'd love to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Well, the oil filter is very exposed on the engine. More than one person has flung a rock or debris back off the tire through that filter...and you aren't going anywhere after that happens. Just to protect the engine, a skid plate is recommended. If you don't want very heavy steel protection, you can at find lighter options. But definitely recommended even if you aren't going off road.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
DustyRags OP
Idiot

Got it, that makes sense. Adding to the shopping list :)

Center stands are nice, but I have a paddock stand, so that'll be The Farkling: Round 2.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
mjc506
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
There's at least one Wee that's had it's dash replaced - The ODO only goes up to 200,000 miles, and the bike hasn't stopped yet!!

Mine's had 80,000 miles of on/off road abuse. Still running happily!
mjc506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
rockitcity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I had an 07 DL 650 for a few years. It was a great all-around bike. I never did much more than dirt roads and didn't see a need for a skid plate. If you aren't going into the woods you should be fine without one.

I'd go for an 07 and up as these are fuel injected. ABS was available from 07 on as well. There are a lot them around, so you can probably find a good one in your price range. Most riders who have had them for a while have a lot of farkles on them already and they don't add much to the asking price, so you might as well look for one set up as you would like it.

Don't worry too much about the mileage if there are good maintenance records.
rockitcity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
DustyRags OP
Idiot

Ah, didn't realize pre-07 were carbed. That changes things! I'm definitely ready for a FI bike. Thanks! :)

Sounds like a more recent, high-mileage bike might make more sense than an older, low-mileage bike. Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
robberst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
All DL650s came with fuel injection

My 2004 has 105,000 miles.

Had to do some engine work around 80,000 miles because I didn't get the airbox sealed up properly
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Dl650

I bought a 2008 new put 33000 trouble free miles .very little oil consumption,less than a half a quart in 5000 highway (75mph). Great bike, sold it to get a 2014 dl1000. And just bought a2013dl 650. Needed both
homere is offline   Reply With Quote