Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #1516
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmittenhymer
I have a VFR and thinking of the Versys. Isn't there a big difference in power? How did you cope???
Corner speed
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #1517
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmittenhymer
I have a VFR and thinking of the Versys. Isn't there a big difference in power? How did you cope???
comfort
Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #1518
william t.
Studly Adventurer

50 mpg
Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #1519
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
50 mpg
I wish that's what I was getting on road trips. More like 38 to 42. I did get 59 on one tank in Utah in July. The next was 55, the next was back in the mid 40's. That is on a loaded bike.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #1520
william t.
Studly Adventurer

I always get 50 to 54 and that is me playing around in the curves.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #1521
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
I wish that's what I was getting on road trips. More like 38 to 42. I did get 59 on one tank in Utah in July. The next was 55, the next was back in the mid 40's. That is on a loaded bike.
I never get less than 50, even 2 up with luggage and going hard on it through mountains, but I have the 16T sprocket and the vacuum mode. I have noticed though a slight increase in consumption on highway, it seems that his bike really likes the twisties, no matter how hard is ridden

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #1522
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I generally get around 52-54, but did see close to 60 once on a road trip coming down from the mountains. When I first got my bike it was always around 46, then slowly crept up to where it is now.

It's been cooler here lately and I've been breaking out the heated vest - I'm curious if that will make a big difference.

BTW, on another note, if you ever happen to have your bar-end weight off, make sure you don't tighten it down too much. Yesterday at lunch my throttle decided to "stick" - it wouldn't spring back to normal position. Yesterday was warmer than it has been in a week or two (when I had the weight off last, putting my hand guards on) and I guess it was enough for the grip to expand and get stuck against the weight. It was an easy fix, but freaked me out at first.

Luckily, I was still able to throttle down manually.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #1523
UTCiv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I've been getting 50+ mpg consistantly for a while now (1000-4000mi). That's even throwing in some unmaintained roads (dirt and stone two track) and two up in the Smoky Mountains for a week. I commute regularly at 75mph+ which I would say gives the worst milage (right at 50) . Off the highway I rarely am on the brakes hard at all with the engine braking and handling of the bike (you just don't have to slow down for turns), unless I am pushing it on some rural curves.

On two side notes:

1. the bike performed flawlessly for the week down south (TN & NC). Before the trip I installed a Givi 447 rack and V46 top case which work very well and the fit and finish quality is top notch. My wife and I used it exclusively during our vacation to hit all the hiking trails, motor nature trails, restaurants, shops and whatnot. I even got a day to blast down to Deal's Gap and ride NC 28 and US 129. I saw two other Versi down on US 129 as well!

2. At lunch today I caught a clasp of my boot on the seat while dismounting in a narrow space and put a small tear/puncture in the seat. Anyone else have a tear and has it expanded? It doesn't bother me at all currently, I just don't want it to grow and will have to think about a remedy.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #1524
angrymutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I'm pretty excited - I just placed an order for a new 08. Going to pick it up tomorrow...
Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #1525
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymutt
I'm pretty excited - I just placed an order for a new 08. Going to pick it up tomorrow...

Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #1526
william t.
Studly Adventurer

I was thinking about how great it is not to be one of the riders who have been waiting to pay way to much for a China powered BMW 800. The Versys will do anything that it will do but go through deep creeks and most of the people that buy the little BMWs never will be off road with them any way. It is sort of like all the people that buy four wheel drive SUVs and never use four wheel drive. With all the money that I saved by buying the Versys I could do all kinds of mods but for me the Versys is just fine the way it is. It handles great and all but the seat it is a near perfect bike right out of the box. From what I understand the seat on the 800 is no better and might even be worse. I am sure BMW will offer a better seat for about 800 plus dollars. Like the saying goes ,when you get tired of visiting your KTM service department buy a BMW and really get to know your service manager.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #1527
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCiv
2. At lunch today I caught a clasp of my boot on the seat while dismounting in a narrow space and put a small tear/puncture in the seat. Anyone else have a tear and has it expanded? It doesn't bother me at all currently, I just don't want it to grow and will have to think about a remedy.
On the UK forum some folks mentioned about same thing...as far as i remember, the tear didn't extend... but if it was my bike, I would take some vinyl from underneath, where is stapled, and use a good glue to glue it over. It might show a bit, but at least the tear will not get bigger...and you can always come up with a nice shape for that patch...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #1528
Zonkelnut
King in the land of Zonk.

Oddometer: 32
My baby. I come from a serious Adventure DS riding in Africa and now in Us I got this one. I love the bike and no matter who says what, it can do some serious off-road (or maybe I am to stupid not to realize the mistake)

Hepco-Becker crash bars and topbox.
Givi Screen
Larger footprint for the side stand (can not remember the name but man it works bluddy well)
Barkbuster handguards (fits within 5 minutes and works great)

Better view of the handguards and footpeg thing

Some forest roads

found in its natural state

Zonkelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #1529
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
I was thinking about how great it is not to be one of the riders who have been waiting to pay way to much for a China powered BMW 800. The Versys will do anything that it will do but go through deep creeks and most of the people that buy the little BMWs never will be off road with them any way. It is sort of like all the people that buy four wheel drive SUVs and never use four wheel drive. With all the money that I saved by buying the Versys I could do all kinds of mods but for me the Versys is just fine the way it is. It handles great and all but the seat it is a near perfect bike right out of the box. From what I understand the seat on the 800 is no better and might even be worse. I am sure BMW will offer a better seat for about 800 plus dollars. Like the saying goes ,when you get tired of visiting your KTM service department buy a BMW and really get to know your service manager.
I like the new 800 GS BMW. Expensive? Somewhat, but a little examination of the fit, finish, and materials (overall) and it's easy for me to account for the price difference. Plus, the GS is a legit "big trailie" dual sport. I can't complain that the Versys doesn't have some of the GS capabilities, but my bonding with the Versys is going even slower given the availability of the GS.

I have a 4WD truck, and I use the 4WD. I'd also use the broader capabilities of the GS. The Versys is a nice bike, but it just isn't stirring my soul like others I've owned.

FWIW, I've owned KTMs, BMWs, and a couple of other Kawi's. It's just my experience, but the reliability was/is better with the Euros than the Kawi's. That said, my 1300 mile Versys seems solidly reliable.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #1530
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Hey Zonkelnut - Quote: Larger footprint for the side stand (can not remember the name but man it works bluddy well)

I just got one for my Versys - its called a Fatfoot and I would imagine you got it from Ernie Bell. No more kickstand sinking in soft surfaces
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote