Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #1681
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniels
How about a new debate?

I need new tires for my V - the stocks lasted 7200 miles but the rear is getting pretty bad. I was hoping to wait until after the first of the year, but I don't think I'll be able to.

80% of the miles are commuting to work and around town. The other 20% are pleasure miles with a little bit of gravel roads thrown in for fun.

My main requirements are good lifespan, good handling in wet & cold (I ride year round) and overall good performance.

Thoughts?
I have Pilot Road 2 on rear, Storm on front. I was looking for Storms, but could not find a rear. Both awesome tires on wet roads. I recently tested them for performance in cold weather... and it's awesome again :) After "warming" them up for 10-15 minutes I can lean without problems at 0 Celsius.
If I were you I would buy Storms, they are cheaper than PR2 and give the same performance. For context, I changed the stock tires around 7000km (rear was having gauges in it, I was not sure I will make it home, front was okay). The present ones have about 12,000 km (half of that 2 up, twisties 80%, rest is city, slab and couple hundred km of gravel). They both look great, I am sure I can get another 7000 or more out of them.

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #1682
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
I always wanted to visit Stone Henge...

So I rode my Versys there...

Actually, these cool sights are located near the small Texas town of Hunt. Its about 110 miles or so west of San Antonio. If you Google search "Stone Henge II", you can read about the man who built these monuments with the help of friends. Its free to visit, & as you can see, you can walk right up to them.

The trip there & back was a blast! The roads in the Texas Hill Country are made for motorcycles. The only negative for the Versys was the seat. It was a little over 200 miles round trip, which is far for me, but I know a lot of you guys would consider it a trip around the block. If any of you are considering a road trip to Texas, the hill country is one of the best places to ride!

Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #1683
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 716
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle
So I rode my Versys there...

Actually, these cool sights are located near the small Texas town of Hunt. Its about 110 miles or so west of San Antonio. If you Google search "Stone Henge II", you can read about the man who built these monuments with the help of friends. Its free to visit, & as you can see, you can walk right up to them.

The trip there & back was a blast! The roads in the Texas Hill Country are made for motorcycles. The only negative for the Versys was the seat. It was a little over 200 miles round trip, which is far for me, but I know a lot of you guys would consider it a trip around the block. If any of you are considering a road trip to Texas, the hill country is one of the best places to ride!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #1684
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Not much activity on the thread lately I took the Versys out yesterday afternoon for what will most likely be the last ride of the season. Did a little 170 mile loop from Bozeman through the south end of the Big Belt mountains. Even though nights are below freezing, it was a mid 60's sunny kind of day with no wind. A little snow alongside the highways in the passes, but road surface was dry. The bugs were all out for a last hurrah and me and the bike were pretty well coated with a variety of formerly flying insects. Still amazed by how well the bike handles a variety of roads. Sorry, no pics
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #1685
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,890
Happy birthday to you....

One year and 9867 miles today, and I would go buy one again tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #1686
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Maintenance - Servicing feedback?

So, anyone done anything more than change the oil and filter, and perhaps air filter? The question certainly suggests that most are experiencing an extremely reliable bike, so that's obviously great.

Any tips on less frequent servicing, such as setting the valves, access to areas that may need service, etc?
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #1687
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
So, anyone done anything more than change the oil and filter, and perhaps air filter? The question certainly suggests that most are experiencing an extremely reliable bike, so that's obviously great.

Any tips on less frequent servicing, such as setting the valves, access to areas that may need service, etc?
If you haven't already, have a go at kawasakiversys.com. It's a dediated forum and you might get some good feeback there.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #1688
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
So, anyone done anything more than change the oil and filter, and perhaps air filter?
You don't have to replace the air filter, it's a oiled-foam element, you clean it (as you do on most dirt bikes), re-oil and put it back in.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #1689
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,038
My chain and sprockets are toast. I bought the 16 tooth for the front. Waiting till spring for the rest.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #1690
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
My chain and sprockets are toast. I bought the 16 tooth for the front. Waiting till spring for the rest.
How the heck much mileage did it take to toast them? You been ridin in the dirt or just long distances

The only service my bike has received is oil changes and chain lube. No problems.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #1691
angrymutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Helmet Guardian??

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of ordering a "Helmet Guardian" from Twisted Throttle but haven't figured out where on the bike to put it.

Has anybody installed one and if so where?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #1692
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
How the heck much mileage did it take to toast them? You been ridin in the dirt or just long distances

The only service my bike has received is oil changes and chain lube. No problems.
12,500 miles. Probably 500 to 1000 miles of gravel roads. It went about 11,000 showing very little stretching or wear, then went down hill fast.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #1693
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Versys and tires

My original Brigs lasted just over 6K miles. i mounted Tourances (Metz) and with over 8K additional miles, i still have 50% center tread. Well worth $150 bucks IMO
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #1694
white26golf
Tanker

Oddometer: 38
new handguards from acerbis

Now these are some handguards I would like to order for my versys! http://www.acerbis.it/moto/PS09/Paramano%20Strada.html or http://www.acerbis.it/moto/index.php...ge=2523&cat=16 . I am also wondering if the LED's are running lights, or blinkers? I just need to figure out how to order these, I can't seem to find a place.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #1695
white26golf
Tanker

Oddometer: 38
acerbis handguards

Ok, so I have found some pics online of these installed on a BMW bike. I think these would look really good on the Versys, and from reading a couple of the posts, would do the job of protecting your hands from wind and light rain. Here is the link... http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewt...a3066&start=25