User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #1831
KiLaV
Misguided fool.

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for the quick answer...

As soon as I read it I thought of him. As clear as one of his famous diagrams. A true character (and genius).

Regards Mick.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #1832
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Just thought I'd pop in here and inflate y'all's egos a bit. I went to the Greenville cycle show yesterday and sat for the first time on a Versys. I was highly drawn to the neon green one (that blue is terrible ). Reminds me of the neon Tigers they used to put out.

This bike felt light and I could tell it was versatile and nimble just by sitting on it. Had great ergos, too, and I am 6'3" fer cryin' out loud! Then I looked at the price, which was the best part! Only $7K! I can't believe there aren't more of these on the road.

I must admit when they first came out I kinda laughed and shrugged it off.

Only downside I could see was there is not enough space on the rear for my wife to ride comfortably, but is that REALLY a downside. I too would prefer bigger wheels but wouldn't stop me from buying one if I was in the market. Perhaps one day when used ones start popping up for $4K there will be one in the garage. Personally not a fan of buying new, but to each his own.

Y'all's some good decision makers.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #1833
wordguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
...Had great ergos, too, and I am 6'3" fer cryin' out loud! ....
That was one of the deciding factors for me. I'm the same height and I really like the fit of the bike.

I just lowered the footpegs, which eases the angle of my knees. I think this will add some comfort on longer days.

-Alan
wordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #1834
Crashit
GO HARD OR NOT AT ALL

Oddometer: 452
cases

ere do you get a set of side cases. I kinda like pilots what do you have
Crashit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #1835
psc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashit
ere do you get a set of side cases. I kinda like pilots what do you have
I got mine from these guys: www.cariboucases.com
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #1836
Max Buffet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordguy
That was one of the deciding factors for me. I'm the same height and I really like the fit of the bike.

I just lowered the footpegs, which eases the angle of my knees. I think this will add some comfort on longer days.

-Alan
Alan, I am also the same height. I only have about 40 miles on my Versys, but it's obvious I need a little more legroom. Which ones did you get? Happy? Easy to install? (I am a non-mechanical klutz...)
Thanks, man!
I REALLY like everything else about the bike, btw!
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #1837
Max Buffet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLaV
"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."

Richard Feynman perhaps?
Riding is like sex.
I never got all that I wanted, but sometimes I got all that I could stand...
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #1838
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet
Alan, I am also the same height. I only have about 40 miles on my Versys, but it's obvious I need a little more legroom. Which ones did you get? Happy? Easy to install? (I am a non-mechanical klutz...)
Thanks, man!
I REALLY like everything else about the bike, btw!
I bought mine from this guy. He's a Versys owner & a member of the Versys forum.

http://motowerk.com/default.aspx

The peg lowering kit:

http://motowerk.com/loweringfootpegsblocks.aspx

Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #1839
wordguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet
Max, see Bear's response. I got the Motowerk peg lowering kit. It was easy to install. The most involved part was adjusting the rear brake pedal. That is a little awkward, but not really difficult.

-Alan
wordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1840
BikerDav
Wannabe

Oddometer: 40
cruising speed

With stock gearing, can you cruise at 75-80 comfortably? I am trying to decide on a versys or a vstrom 1000. Is the subframe pretty strong on the Versys?

Dave

--There is a fine line between cool and stupid--
BikerDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #1841
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
With stock gearing, you can cruise for hours at 85 gps, with rpm @5800. It doesn't bitch or buck...it has a non-nervous ride; very stable, with non-bobble-head air. Nice clean air.

How's the undercarriage? Dunno, but at 240# and 13,000 miles, it hasn't complained. I have caribou bags, and sometimes have had a good load on there; no probs so far.

Off road, you didn't ask? The Versys will take a bunch more off road than you can. The suspension is tight. Its very predictable in turns, it takes rough asphalt and concrete roads very well in a turn, and it will take every and anything off road except rocks to the belly. You of course have to tire-up for sand and mud, but that's for every bike.

I recommend H-B crash bars, some solid hand protectors, the mirror extenders and peg drops and flatfoot from motorwerks. And a stebel horn if you are in traffic much.

Me likes the bike.
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #1842
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 295
[quote=orv]
And a stebel horn if you are in traffic much.

Hi Orv - do you have the Strebel horn? I checked it out at TwistedThrottle.com and their description of the sound energy was very loud at 139 dB. Perhaps that sound level is required to wake up a cager driving with no regard for bikes. I just know that I get pretty pissed when I'm in my cage in warm weather, window down, and a straight pipe cruiser blasts past - it hurtsBut then I'm not driving like a typical SFB non-rider. Of course I won't ride around with my horn blasting all the time unlike the straight pipe uhhh people

Stillupright screwed with this post 03-05-2009 at 02:57 PM
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #1843
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDav
With stock gearing, can you cruise at 75-80 comfortably? I am trying to decide on a versys or a vstrom 1000. Is the subframe pretty strong on the Versys?
Dave
The Versys can cruise comfortably at 90 for hours (I've done so several times), the supframe is very strong on the Versys.

For me lowering the footpegs is not an option, I often use all the ground clearence in corners as it is - instead I use a high gel seat to get a better knee angle.
England and Ireland 2013 - Morocco 2013 - Nordkapp 2010
be a part of the adventure: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

Don T screwed with this post 03-04-2009 at 10:51 PM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #1844
Gaereth
Walking...

Oddometer: 491
Adjusting the rear break did annoy me a bit, but it isn't hard. I popped some Uly pegs on mine rather than going with Sir Speedy's drops, I liked the looks better and they are nice and big. They used to be nice and cheap, around $40 bucks a pair, but I think that a ton of different bikers use them to get around an inch drop and they decided they were worth twice as much now.

The flat foot and mirror extenders from Speedy are a must for sure.
Gaereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #1845
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
It was finally time for new tires. I pushed my luck with the stock Dunlop - just under 8500 miles and cords were starting to show on the rear tire. I should have replaced it 1000 miles ago, but I like to procrastinate....

My original plan was to go with Avon Storms or Bridgestone BT-021, leaning toward the Bridgestone because like everyone else, my budget has been pretty tight lately.

Then I stumbled upon this thread about Shinko tires: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402674 Not a house hold name by any means, but doing more research, I've found mostly positive feedback about them. I decided "what the hell" and ordered a set of Shinko 009 Ravens from BikeBandit.com for a total cost of $168. Ordered on a Thursday and they arrived the following Monday. Another $50 for mounting and balancing (the cheapest I could find within a reasonable distance), and now my Versys has new tires.

I just got the wheels back on last night, so no feedback on the actual tires yet.

New Shinko 009 rear tire:

Front tire:

'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote