Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #2326
fantom
armchair traveller

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
While looking at the 2010 Versys at Kawasaki.com I noticed they are no longer offering luggage or a tail box. Not that I would buy them, just wondering.

What are the popular add-ons for the Versys?
They do present side panniers on their promo vids though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRU79do4ak

So maybe they just didn't update their website. On the European site http://www.kawasaki.eu/Versys they also have very few items in the accessories section. Givi offers luggage options for 2010 model but they didn't put any photos yet.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #2327
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom
They do present side panniers on their promo vids though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRU79do4ak

So maybe they just didn't update their website. On the European site http://www.kawasaki.eu/Versys they also have very few items in the accessories section. Givi offers luggage options for 2010 model but they didn't put any photos yet.
The 2010 is an improvement in function and styling though the 2008/2009 is very good motorcycle. It came to the USA as a DS and changed to a Sport in 2009. I think this is where the syle changes came from.

Just asking, no right or wrong answers, what MPG/MPL is everyone getting with the 2008/2009 Versys?

Are any of you riding a 2010?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #2328
c881
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
21~22 km per liter.
c881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #2329
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by c881
21~22 km per liter.
About 50 MPG or the same as a KLR650. I am guessing the Versys would be more consistant overall with the FI vs carb.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #2330
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
About 50 MPG or the same as a KLR650. I am guessing the Versys would be more consistant overall with the FI vs carb.
I have a hard time getting the same fuel economy with my Versys as my KLR. It seems I have a hard time with my right hand on the Versys. I tend to whack open the throttle on a regular basis, which hurts the economy some.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #2331
trailbuster30
Gotta Wee

Oddometer: 48
I've been looking at purchasing a Versys for awhile now but am wondering if you guys/gals could help me with a few questions regarding a wish list of accessories.

1.Do you ever feel the need for highway pegs on this bike during long rides?

2.How about an inexpensive soft luggage standoff that would sell for approximatly $50.00?
If ridden 2-up it seems that a guard may be needed since the soft luggage would need to sit low to be out of the way for the passenger's legs; please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Are crashbars and skidplate combos as popular with the Versys as they are with the Suzuki DL650?

Are there any other items you wish were available for the Versys that do not exist?

If I purchase a Versys we plan on producing the above items as well as several other accessories but obviously only if there is some demand for them.

Thanks for your input.
Dan
trailbuster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #2332
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbuster30
I've been looking at purchasing a Versys for awhile now but am wondering if you guys/gals could help me with a few questions regarding a wish list of accessories.

2.How about an inexpensive soft luggage standoff that would sell for approximatly $50.00?
If ridden 2-up it seems that a guard may be needed since the soft luggage would need to sit low to be out of the way for the passenger's legs; please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Are crashbars and skidplate combos as popular with the Versys as they are with the Suzuki DL650?

Are there any other items you wish were available for the Versys that do not exist?

If I purchase a Versys we plan on producing the above items as well as several other accessories but obviously only if there is some demand for them.

Thanks for your input.
Dan
Who is 'we'? Do you already produce accessories?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #2333
trailbuster30
Gotta Wee

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...omAccessories/

Yes, we have produced and sold items for the DL650 for the past 5 years and would like to add items that would fit the Versys.

Dan
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #2334
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:

Not really, but I've seen a few people that added something to their crash bars.

Quote:
The answer obviously depends on what brand/type you use, but most I've seen (including my Ortlieb's) don't have that problem. They fit fine without getting in the way of the passenger pegs. There are also several pannier frames available (including quick lock SW-Motech ones) for those who want a more solid support.

Quote:
Yes, there are several brands of crash bars available (H&B, SW-Motech, etc.), but there are no current skid plate options. There was a nice looking one but it didn't sell as well as he had hoped, so it seems to be off the market. There is an outfit in Oregon working on an option. I think something like the small meta or ABS ones you make for the DL650 would work here too. This is not a bike people take rock hopping, but something to protect the lower part of the engine from errant rocks that get thrown at it while riding dirt roads would be good insurance. IMHO, a light ABS plate would work well if you make it tall enough in the front to protect the filter too. I'd buy one of those if you made it.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #2335
trailbuster30
Gotta Wee

Interesting. When Aerostitch showed interest in the DL650 luggage guard we make the only way they would carry it was if I had a model available for all bikes that had open wheel wells on one or both sides Versys, Tiger, F800/650 etc.

I know hard luggage racks can be used for soft bags but the increased cost is a major factor.

Same for the crashbar mounted highway pegs, if an owner wants only highway pegs crashbars + pegs verses a less expensive highway peg setup will cost more.
After sitting on a Versys it seemed to cramp my legs some, and a friend at 6'4" really noticed this.

But the final say whether this boat floats or sinks :) rests with the owners, you may have saved me $6.500.

Dan
Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2336
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Had a busy day fitting up the Versys and having a look at what fits well and what doesn't, so thought I'd share the pic's, as I though they make for an interesting comparison as reading through it seems to be a topic which comes up regualrly.

FAMSA Tank Bags

Smallest tank bag is the FAMSA Mini Mag, pretty small, neat pocket that you can see your phone through. Fine for your wallet, small bottle of water, camera, bag of sweets. Better than stuffing your pockets.

Next up, is the FAMSA Enduro Mini, fits onto the same FAMSA base as the Enduro Max that a few on here have.

I did read someone saying they'd had a problem with fitting the FAMSA base where some wiring was fitted to the attachment bracket, but relocating it and then fitting the base was a simple job.

[img width]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9359/emaxbase.jpg[/img]

Here's the FAMSA Enduro Max fitted to the same base.

Wolfman Tank Bags

I know a few on here have the Wolfman Explorer Lite fitted and I'll try and get some photo's of that one for comparison as well. This one though is the new Wolfman Express Tank Bag, it uses exactly the same fixings as the Explorer Lite but is smaller, rectangular rather than wedge shaped and a little shorter. I think this is the one that will be staying on the bike.

Joe Bar screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 09:29 AM
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2337
Joe Bar
Middle England

Also got some Symtec Heated Grips fitted. I've used these for quite a few years and now can't have a bike without heated grips. It's surprising how much you do use them, even in summer.

Fitting is pretty straightforward, and wiring up only requires the use of a test light to find a suitable live feed and earth point. They use the existing Kawasaki grips, so it all looks pretty standard when finished and the hi-lo switch fits neatly in the dash panel with no clunky controller boxes.

Whilst the fairing panels were off, I also took the opportunity to fit a 12v accessory DIN socket into the dash panel, wired live direct to the battery.

I also fitted a cigarette lighter type accessory socket under the seat, handy for the heated vest and charging the mobile phone.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #2338
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy
Cheers for the pictures of the tankbags mate!

I'm almost set on the FAMSA E-Max bag but I would also consider Wolfman Rainier or Explorer Lite. It's a matter of availability for me.

My plan for luggage for the Versys is one of the said tank bags + Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag + flimsy Kawasaki top box witch I already have.
Hopefully, this setup would work for longish trips in varying weather conditions.
The Explorer Lite is about the same capacity as the FAMSA, the Rainier is slightly larger. The Giant Loop has quite a large capacity, but for me too expensive for what it is.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #2339
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,842
I absolutely love the black Euro Versys. I would prefer the swingarm and frame stay silver for contrast but either one. Even if Kawi doesn't offer the bags I'm sure Givi still does. I could live with this bike forever!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #2340
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
here's one that a friend owns that was red but he wanted something different so he painted it two tone. looks pretty good.

saddlsor screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 08:44 PM
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote