Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #301
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,679
that buzz has been well-known since early in its life. kawa has a 'buzz kit' for the dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
Still no buzzing yet. I will give her a good workout this wekend and see if it comes back. I did not ask Gary what they did but it looks like it now has some foam around the instrument cluster that it did not have before. I will ask him what they did? I was amazed that they fixed it on the first try. Since I work at a car dealership I know how hard it can be to find weird noises.
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #302
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,679
thing is, both bikes are still heavy, to me.
you would think, naked as it is, that the versys would come in a lot lighter than 400lbs. look at the weight of the Triumph Street TRiple and the naked Suzi SV650....

then go to the Suzi dealer and put buns on a DR650 and push it around a bit.... push it backwards, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
Hello Versytes
It's time for a new road bike. My last street bike was a Kawi Concours that I really enjoyed for 5 years. When I moved to Montana I sold the Connie and got a DRZ400S that is amazingly fun to ride on and off road, but not so good for me to go on long distance road trips. Since having the DRZ I really like lighter bikes vs. all the heavy sports touring offerings that seem to be in excess of 600 lbs. Last fall I tried out a new DL650 when I was in Portland, OR, and was really impressed with it. So now along comes the Versys; funky styling but truly functional, light weight, most likely better suspension than the Vstrom, comparable motor, hard luggage available. Sure would appreciate some opinions on which way to go.
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #303
canyonwlf7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Buzzing fairing

When I was adjusting my windscreen, I had re-installed it with one of the rubber grommets not seated correctly and it buzzed like crazy, when I re-adjusted the screen and seated the grommets correctly the buzzing stopped. I think its all about those rubber grommets, at least on my bike, good luck all....................
2007 Triumph Speedmaster
2006 Yamaha Road Star Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph Bonneville America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki Drz-400S
canyonwlf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #304
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
No buzzing here either! Kawasaki does know about it though. They told me at the dealer they were trying to get the manufacturer to pay for replacing the rivets as well with screws and rubber washers. I have been lucky I guess.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #305
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Buzz

With an oversize windshield the buzz and vibration has been a problem. I tighten down everything , stuff in a rubber bumper here and their and it quitens down, Only to come back again. I have retooled the windshield mount with a heavy (1/2 inch) rubber spacer and longer nut-n-bolts. I also wedged a hard rubber bumper in on three sides of the instrument consul. So far, so good. A different issue is an elictrical Buzz (mystery) after the bike is turned off? Is anyone else getting this?
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #306
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,965
I'm starting to catch the buzz. Right around 4K rpm, I get this high pitched noise from the instrument cluster. Can you get the fix kit from the dealer, or do you have to take it in?

It's been a long time since I've adjusted a chain with bolt adjusters. Maybe 1990. Anyway, at 1900 miles, the chain seemed a bit slack. I turned the adjustment bolt a half turn, and the chain was way too tight. It didn't seem too tight until I tightened the axle bolt. So I backed it off to one sixth of a full turn. Still seemed a bit on the tight side. I don't remember getting such dramatic differences with such a small adjustment. I dunno. It has the right amount of play.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #307
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Versys vs. Weestrom

Thanks for the great links Gustavo. I think the questions are answered.
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #308
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswork
With an oversize windshield the buzz and vibration has been a problem. I tighten down everything , stuff in a rubber bumper here and their and it quitens down, Only to come back again. I have retooled the windshield mount with a heavy (1/2 inch) rubber spacer and longer nut-n-bolts. I also wedged a hard rubber bumper in on three sides of the instrument consul. So far, so good. A different issue is an elictrical Buzz (mystery) after the bike is turned off? Is anyone else getting this?

I think what you are hearing is the gas tank venting. After the bike sets for a few minutes it will omit a buzzing from the fuel tank. This is normal on most bikes.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #309
william t.
Studly Adventurer

We played around most of the day. Traffic was lite and it made for a great day to let it hang out. South America is great this time of year.

http://media.putfile.com/Three-Stooges-at-it-again
Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #310
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Even rode on the a USFS road. Had to compress the video and it is a little fuzzy.

http://media.putfile.com/First-Versys-dirt-ride
Old 02-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #311
william t.
Studly Adventurer

We added one to the ride.

http://media.putfile.com/2-09-08-Ver...and-950-motard
Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #312
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Does anyone know the overall width of the Versys with Happy Trails panniers in place? The Happy Trails boxes look more narrow than the Givi bags, but are they?
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #313
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Todd from Happy Trails emailed me with the dimensions of the racks and panniers.

Outside of rack to outside of rack 16.5"
With 7.5 Teton panniers 31.5"

So the Happy Trails panniers can be about 1.5" more narrow than the handlebars of the Versys or just barely wider depending on which size of panniers are ordered.
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #314
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Mine should be here the first week of March and I will post pics!

I got the bash plate and engine bars as well. I am looking forward to finishing the pimp my ride. Doing a Big Bend Texas trip in March.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #315
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Big Bend sounds neat...I've heard they get stange lights at night like an aurora or something...
sands is offline   Reply With Quote