Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #3316
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Actually V Strom 1000 and Versys wheels are an easy interchange.(the 650 V Strom uses smaller bearings) I've had a"19" V Strom 1000 front wheel on my Versys for a year now. The rear is not to hard either I just didn't bother to match them up yet. So it should be possible to use those hubs on a V Strom 1000.
Do the brake dics swap over or did you run the Strom dics on your conversion?
BTW, PM me some pics of this

If the dics can swap perhaps Woody has finally made some wire wheels for the Stroms and the Versys piggy backed off that.
The last time I check on the Strom wheels was a few months back and they were still not being made.
Even piggy backing it seems real quick to have these Versys rims out.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #3317
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
That's odd that Woody was able to produce a set of Versys wheels "under the radar" when folks have been begging for Strom wheels for years now.
I don't even know if the Strom wheels are even available yet.

Are the hubs on the Versys something that crosses over with another bike?
Woody talked Bob at Radd into dong it for us. He did it knowing the demand would be out there. Woody stuck his neck out and hopes to sell them. Stock Versys wheels are a real problem for adventure riding.
These wheels give the suspension that little bit of cushion to make the new ride so smooooth!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #3318
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If the dics can swap perhaps Woody has finally made some wire wheels for the Stroms and the Versys piggy backed off that.
The last time I check on the Strom wheels was a few months back and they were still not being made.
No these wheels use all stock Versys rotors, sprockets.
They were made specifically for the Versys by Woody.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #3319
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
I couldn't care less about offroad, but this Versys is the best I've seen yet.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #3320
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Yeah the modification costs are expensive but the value of the overall bike makes it a great buy in the adventure category.

Compared to what?
Now you have a too tall 475lb dirt bike that still goes too fast in first and still has choppy low speed fueling. And it's not the great streetbike that it once was.

I like where you're going with it and you've done a nice job. For me I think I would just buy something that's already designed for that use. There are some nice choices out there that aren't any more than what you have in it. Models that come to mind are 690 enduro, F800GS, 800XC. I would probly just go find a nice used 650X or an LC4.

Definitely the wheels and suspension upgrades are a big improvement. But five grand to do that? Oh my! As much as the whole bike. I always invest and modify with selling in mind. Can I get my money back out of it?

Run it like a dirtbike and I'll bet lots of stuff breaks. Its not very waterproof either, the whole under-seat pan is just plastic and full of holes. Time to offload those fairings as well.

I love my Versys, and as much as I would love for it to be an enduro, I think I'll just keep it as a great streetbike and get a good enduro bike.

EDIT: BTW, in looking at the bikes in your sig I just have to ask myself WHY???
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #3321
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:

I used V Strom dics. That may be an issue, but it doesn't seem that converting the dics wouuld be a big thing.
There is a pic at the link below.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...76645&page=161

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #3322
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
IMHO It is a lot of money, but, it's a brand new bike set up with first rate equipment. Even a BMW or KTM would not come with: Traxxion AK-20 Mod, Elka custom shock, Woodys Wheels, Filter Pods, Kildala rad. guard and brackets, mud flap, SW-Motech skid plate, SW-Motech quick release Pelican mounts, Pelican cases, Hepco Becker engine guard, Givi wind screen, Cycra Probend hand guards, Rox rubber mounted 2" Fat Bar risers, raised fender mount, custom seat, BRP chain guide, DID X-ring chain. The BMW or KTM may have the Pro-Taper bars and laced wheels but not tubeless. But everything else would have to be added to the BMW or KTM also, if that is what you wanted. So yeah a $12000 Versys is high, but my $14000 BMW's final cost was a lot higher than $14000! The labor would be much more on a mutant build and $2500 would be really low also. The bike looks good and will perform the job the builder is asking of it, and considering what he's got $12000 ain't that bad. I think people just see $12000 Versys, WTF!!!!! They need to look at the big picture. Like I said "IMHO".

How true! I got $27,000. in my BMW F800GS and that is a stock motor and exhaust! The Versys is a great platform and this bike will kick butt against a stock BMW F800GS. I dont expect many people to do this but the development work is done and if anyone is interested in some of these mods it is posted here for collective database.

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 01:13 PM
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #3323
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Green to Black paint job...

Well after 15,000 miles and 1 year, the too bright green was getting old to look at, so I took the gas tank and 2 tank cowlings down to a local auto body shop and the guy said $150...yes sir,sand,primer,black paint with clear coat mixed in...a few days later my 2009 Versys is looking very handsome while I had the tank off I checked my valve clearance and they were spot on specs... what a brilliant motorcycle ! Cheers ADV riders... Malcolm
Attached Images

mminob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #3324
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Suspension

Just a heads up for those looking to upgrade the OEM suspension. I had my suspension redone by Windmill Motorsports- he's local to me. Total cost for forks and rear shock were about a third of an aftermarket shock, and included setting the bike up. I am aware of still having a compromise suspension, but it's darn good for me on this bike.
The rear shock is rechargeable now, via a bolt. The front is much better, absorbing instead of just deflecting, but the best improvement was from the rear. Would've been nice to have a 3-way shock, but this one does a good job for me for the way I use the bike now.

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #3325
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
I am very intrigued by these 19/17 wheels on the Versys.
I bought my Versys cheap enough that I could pop for these and still be close to what a similar V-Strom would have cost.

What effect do they have on the street handling of the bike?

What is involved with raising the fender?

Would it be practical to keep the stock rims with long wearing tires for commuting/touring and swap them out with the 19/17's?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #3326
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
If you are talking about the V Strom front wheel swap it cost less than $450 total counting new bearings, seals, brake line and paint, not counting the tire as my old one needed to be replaced anyway. But the junk yard wheel did have an almost new tire that I chose not to use. The Woodys swap is a little more but looks a lot tricker.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #3327
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,039
A wired excel is WAY stronger than the stock alloy cast wheel. Rock hits will easily bend it. Plus the mud and dirt issue in the hub mentioned previously.

A 19" front does not turn in like a 17, plus the tire is narrower which is good for off pavement but not for on. Ever wonder why supermotos have a 17" front?

The V-strom guys have the same discussions about how to fit a 17" so they can carve corners better.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #3328
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
How true! I got $27,000. in my BMW F800GS and that is a stock motor and exhaust! The Versys is a great platform and this bike will kick butt against a stock BMW F800GS. I dont expect many people to do this but the development work is done and if anyone is interested in some of these mods it is posted here for collective database.
Do you have a more detailed ride report specifically about your mods, which BTW, I think are extremely cool. Of course, more tasty pictures are always welcome.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #3329
QtrLitre
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb All i can say is "wow"

What's up gents...

I just over the last few days read this entire thread [good fun]

Went to Bike week here in AZ the last week of March and hopped on the Versys they had since we could ride anything and everything [never would have considered this bike, seen them many times at a dealer here no interest {caught up with looks}]

Wow.

What a hoot the Versys is. Loved it, so easy to ride, got obsessed with finding out as much as i could about it. Spent the next two weeks looking at old reviews on the web and posts on the Kawasaki Versys Forum. Nothing but good stuff and honest comments about the fixable stock issues. Found one at a dealer here [pre-farkled for my enjoyment] and I bought her that day 4-22-11. got about 300 miles on her so far. Love it. Still love my eye socket collapsing 6R but the Versys is a different kind of rush.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Polar opposites wouldn't you say????

Believe it or not up until now i was travelling on the 6R

Photobucket

She is an 09 I bought in 2010 and i have 15K and some change on her. It is ok you just accept it is not what the bike was made for but it is dooable, you are just way more tired than your buddies on their Connie 14s and Harleys you are traveling with. Big payoff in the twisties way out there but she still has way more that it is safe to use [I am nowhere near able to ride her to her full potential] still a racebike with turn signals. Now the V frees her up to be where she belongs, on the track.

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
QtrLitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #3330
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

To all interested I will follow up with a detailed ride report with pictures in July once I have had a chance to run her over some good tough Colorado passes. As far as street handling it is surprisingly good with a 19" front. I would only keep the stock wheels if you really want to hang with sport bikes in the tight twisties. The bike turns in easily and brakes well with the 19" front on pavement. The 17" front is better for hard cornering on the street. Not an issue for spirited adventure riding. So far the suspension is amazing on the bumpy trails and rocks we have tested on to this point.

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 05:26 PM