User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #331
ManVersysNature
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Proud new owner and site member

I have only put 40 Miles on the Versys so far but I can give you my first impressions

Engine: I can't say enough about this Parallel twin on both bikes (wife has a 650R Ninja), but the Versys gets the nod. The mid range is just awesome and between 4K and 7K on the tach it has plenty of go. I didn't rev it much more than that since it is new. The bike feels like it has much more power than the dyno says. Most reviews I have read reaffirm this and you have to feel it to believe it. I have owned bikes as powerful as the R1 and a GSXR1K and I can tell you I don't feel like it is down on power at all. It has just the right amount of power and propels you down the road with a permanent grin on your face. There is little need to shift at all, it will tackle twisties all day long in 5th gear and maybe even 6th. Top gear roll ons just like the 650R are effortless, and top gear passes of cagers are no problem. Once again, I can't say enough about this Gem of an engine. If you are worried about the motor working hard at 70 to 80 MPH, rest easy knowing it feels right at home there.

Transmission: precise but shifts kind of stiff right now, but just like the new 650R we have I am sure it will loosen up with miles.

Handling: I am not used to it yet and am scrubbing in new tires right now, but this bike is just plain fun. The chassis is very composed and apexes are a blast to shred on it. I had to do a couple u-turns negotiating some traffic and this thing is the easiest bike I have ever owned to handle such low speed maneuvers. I really look forward to hitting some mountain twisties with this bike.

Suspension: Felt fine for me right out of the box, I am 6 foot 195 pounds, I am probably going to tweak it but right now it is a very plush ride on the highway and feels stable in corners so I am not sure it needs much adjustment at all.
Wind protection: not much there even with the screen in the highest position. I will probably get the Vario touring screen for it with the adjustable spoiler. There isn't buffetting but plenty of wind noise. Bring some ear plugs.

Exhaust: Super quiet but I am going to leave it that way, it has a nice sound to it.
Instrumentation: Nice and simple, but like most bikes the fuel gauge is unreliable from what I can tell so far. Tank was full and read approximately 8/10 full. I came to a stop light and it read full, after taking off it went back down to 8/10.

Seat: comfortable till it slides you toward the tank, 650r does this as well. I will need a replacement for touring on the Versys.

Ergos: Overall a very comfy bike that I see myself touring with as intended.

Mirrors: Hard to see directly behind, extenders will be needed. I was surprised that the mirrors weren't clear at highway speeds. The bike is pretty smooth so I was surprised the mirrors were blurred by the small amount of vibration it produces.

I am very happy with my decision, and I can't wait to farkle it up for touring.

ManVersysNature screwed with this post 02-24-2008 at 02:35 PM
ManVersysNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #332
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Pretty much the same thing we all have said and this just proves what a great bike it is. If people will ride it they will buy it. I am so glad that people are finally starting to buy this bike. I let a woman ride mine last Sat. and she bought one on Monday. That was all it took.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #333
ManVersysNature
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
Pretty much the same thing we all have said and this just proves what a great bike it is. If people will ride it they will buy it. I am so glad that people are finally starting to buy this bike. I let a woman ride mine last Sat. and she bought one on Monday. That was all it took.
Yeah, and I love the looks I get. Even if it is the "What the hell is that?" look. It feels good to be on something that is unique for a change.

I also did a mirror adjustment today on a short 60 mile blast. They are better now and I can see behind me with a little drop of the elbow.

Also rode the 650R today, and although the Versys is really smooth, the 650R is even smoother. I can't feel any vibrations at all in the 650R bars. The Versys has some mild vibes that aren't bothersome.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #334
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Tony and I had a another great day. It might not look like we are going fast but we are doing 65 mph and up. The Versys will stick with the motard in the tight stuff. Tony is a great rider and he makes me work hard to keep up.

http://media.putfile.com/Versys-vs-Motard
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #335
william t.
Studly Adventurer

After hauling butt on the street I decide to take the back road home. A little wet and the Ga. red clay was slick. Nice change of pace. I need a different camera mount. It shakes the crap out of the camera.

http://media.putfile.com/Versys-on-the-Backway-Home
Old 02-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #336
canyonwlf7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Rode home today

and it started raining, and it is 41 degrees outside, well, I was hoping it wasn't below 32, did not know till I got home, the V performed fine and I made it home safe and sound! Any of ya'll been riding and bad weather came up unexpectedly?? I'm still glad it wasn't freezing rain!

Hey Matt, I have decided NOT to sell it, I love it, am also buying an 08 Yamaha Raider, and thought I needed some extra money, but I can afford both, so am happy to be keeping both!
2007 Triumph Speedmaster
2006 Yamaha Road Star Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph Bonneville America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki Drz-400S
canyonwlf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #337
ManVersysNature
Adventurer

Quote:
Tony and I had a another great day. It might not look like we are going fast but we are doing 65 mph and up. The Versys will stick with the motard in the tight stuff. Tony is a great rider and he makes me work hard to keep up.

http://media.putfile.com/Versys-vs-Motard
I wish I had roads like that near me, nice vid
Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #338
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManVersysNature
I wish I had roads like that near me, nice vid
Western N.C. has some great roads.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 AM   #339
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,165
We (SO) went out yesterday on my local WMA, poking around the area. One of the gravel roads was underwater so had to turn around. Nice ride.

Wife doesn't like the seat as well as the GT (duh), but likes the ride just fine. Course she didn't like the stock seat on the 99 FXDX either but loved the bike, ha.

I'm getting bored so looking at putting on a 19" front wheel and studying the problems involved to fab the mod. Anyone know what 19" wheels will fit or am I going to be the first to do this? I have a lathe, mill, and tig so we can make some stuff work, heh heh.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #340
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
You will be the first and all will be watching!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #341
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,116
Quote:
After hauling butt on the street I decide to take the back road home. A little wet and the Ga. red clay was slick. Nice change of pace. I need a different camera mount. It shakes the crap out of the camera.

http://media.putfile.com/Versys-on-the-Backway-Home
Have you ever considered using one of those "lipstick" cameras that attach to your helmet? That way we could see what you see.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #342
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK
Have you ever considered using one of those "lipstick" cameras that attach to your helmet? That way we could see what you see.
I need to get me one. Donations will be accepted.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #343
predictive
Finagler

Oddometer: 28
So this Saturday I traded in my F4i on a new Versys. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on this bike for months, ever since I read the five page spread in BIKE magazine that called it "The best bike Kawasaki make". I can say that after two days I frickin' love this bike, it makes my work commute fun, where the F4i was only fun when I broke the law. I also notice that I got a bit sloppy with my throttle control on the I4 bike because I could, and now all this low end torque is showing me how much I need to work on my throttle technique. I'm really happy with my purchase.

BTW - The Versys forums no longer have the shop manual available, Google has nothing.

predictive screwed with this post 02-25-2008 at 08:36 PM
predictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #344
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
any of you versys owners have a pic with 2 on the bike?

Does it work fine for 2 up travelling?
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #345
ManVersysNature
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn
any of you versys owners have a pic with 2 on the bike?

Does it work fine for 2 up travelling?
sorry no pic right now. My wife was on the back for a short ride, she said it would be okay with a back rest. I felt the bike had plenty of power for two. I would think twice if you planned on touring 2 up with it, but for short rides it is good.