Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #4666
footballboy3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
I was considering the purchase of a Versys and just wanted to hear from the the bigger riders (6'02"+ 260 lb+) I'm looking for something simple and upright and I really like parallel twins Most of my riding would be 4hr jaunts, to the local flat track races, and general commuting duties/backroad riding. I did the strom thing and really didn't like the blandness. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

6'3" and 340 lbs when I had my '08 Versys and I loved it. I lowered the pegs for knee relief. It was a great first bike and I miss it for fun twisties. My biggest complaint was the seat.
footballboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #4667
sosothree
CL450 n00b

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
I picked up a new '11 (Red) today and rode it home. I got a deal on the accessories so I had them order a Givi windscreen, Givi PLR saddlebag mounts, Givi trunk mount, Givi E41 bags, and a set of SW Motech crashbars. The total damage was $7640 OTD
Sweet! Where are you at? I'm still getting quotes of $7800 OTD stock.
sosothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #4668
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
I picked up a new '11 (Red) today and rode it home. I got a deal on the accessories so I had them order a Givi windscreen, Givi PLR saddlebag mounts, Givi trunk mount, Givi E41 bags, and a set of SW Motech crashbars. The total damage was $7640 OTD!

I'll post some better pic's when everything comes in and is mounted.

Awesome deal. I bought my SW Motech racks, trekker bags, SW Motech crash bars, and givi screen myself, but the dealer agreed to install them at no charge, and you've got me beat on what I've invested in my new 2011 so far.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #4669
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I havent seen the Ebay add that was talked about but I'll bet it was Ridersville in Berkeley Springs. They tend to run very cheap Ebay sales.

Thank ye.
spklbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #4670
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosothree View Post
Sweet! Where are you at? I'm still getting quotes of $7800 OTD stock.
Central Indiana. There are a few dealers around here with leftover Versys, I found the one that wanted to sell a bike
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #4671
Genehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Picked my 2011 up last October when dealers were trying to move old inventory... Sunk a few more bucks in her since then.

Headed on a solo 5500 mile loop from Panama City, FL to Billings, MT and back in July. Should be fun.
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Genehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #4672
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
fz447 installed

Picked up a new top bag, a givi v46nt, and the rack. Installed tonight, great to not have to wear the backpack when commuting. Also picked up the pl447 side racks for older monokey bags as I still have a set of e36s. Will install them before my next trip. Can not wait to go camping with the new bike and racks.

$5k OTD leftover 2009 model in December last year. Only in it for the bike, racks and top bag. Great bike thus far, and much more willing to lift the front than my vstroms. Trying long distance touring end of July 2up. STL to White sands and back along old rt 66. Anyone got a link for their favorite airhawk type cushion?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #4673
ec90t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genehil View Post
Picked my 2011 up last October when dealers were trying to move old inventory... Sunk a few more bucks in her since then.

Headed on a solo 5500 mile loop from Panama City, FL to Billings, MT and back in July. Should be fun.
What brand of handguards are those?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #4674
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,850
One more week!!
Is over 20k miles bad?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #4675
Kevinj110
पवित्र गाय

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
What brand of handguards are those?
Look like the same ones I run on my Versys. I like as much as one can like hand guards.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5145/652/
Kevinj110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #4676
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,430
Question for the Versys community, anyone know from when - to - when they were assembled WHERE?

I know some were assembled in Brazil, some in Thailand.

Just curious mostly. Figgered you's guys would have the big brains and know this.

I sat on a 2011 Versys and really liked it. I also went and checked out a 2012 650 Vstrom, and liked it too.

I already have a 2009 KLR, and was curious if the KLR's cousin the VERSYS was assembled in the same plant and after what date, etc.

I am trying to reach the guy that SHARPENS all the spots on the KLR frames where the wire passes through-

I found a spot he missed

I liked the Versys and the V Strom, but confess I am tired of standing at the Kawi dealer parts counter....

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #4677
ec90t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Question for the Versys community, anyone know from when - to - when they were assembled WHERE?

Just curious mostly. Figgered you's guys would have the big brains and know this.

I sat on a 2011 Versys and really liked it. I also went and checked out a 2012 650 Vstrom, and liked it too.

I already have a 2009 KLR, and was curious if the KLR's cousin the VERSYS was assembled in the same plant and after what date, etc.

I am trying to reach the guy that SHARPENS all the spots on the KLR frames where the wire passes through-

I found a spot he missed

I liked the Versys and the V Strom, but confess I am tired of standing at the Kawi dealer parts counter....
The fit and finish on the Versys is head and shoulders better than that of the KLR. I'm use to Yamaha's and I have no issue with the fit and finish on the Versys. I couldn't tell you where they are assembled/made but mine is just fine and the parallel twin is a great powerplant.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #4678
ec90t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinj110 View Post
Look like the same ones I run on my Versys. I like as much as one can like hand guards.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5145/652/
I kinda figured that's what they were. Going to order me a set on Monday.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #4679
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe View Post
One more week!!
Is over 20k miles bad?
No. Just make sure it's been serviced properly. If so they are very long lived.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #4680
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

I don't think any of us care where they're assembled. They are a solid motorcycle.

I had the big 'strom and it's a boat compared to the Versys. As I've said before, there are just a few reasons not to get one, but build quality isn't one of them.

Today I was wanting a Tiger 1050. Gonna look into one. Wife and I are about 350+ 2-up and did 250 miles today, twisties and freeway. Went fine but a bigger bike with more seat room would be more comfortable for the two of us.

The strom motor is a delight, but the bike is heavy and bulky and not as fun to ride. They make pretty good tourers though. The Versys will do that too if set up right. Cheap to buy and run. It's just more fun to ride and makes great power.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote