Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #4741
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
So if I have read this right, the 2010+ models have rubber mounted engines, while the 2008 and 2009 do not... is that correct, or do I need to quit taking my pain meds prior to surfing ADV?

If so, how buzzy are the 2009 models? Any other differences I need to be aware of. Every so often I run across used ones here locally. When it comes time to buy I would certainly consider a clean used one, just want to make sure I know everything I need to.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #4742
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
So if I have read this right, the 2010+ models have rubber mounted engines, while the 2008 and 2009 do not... is that correct, or do I need to quit taking my pain meds prior to surfing ADV?

If so, how buzzy are the 2009 models? Any other differences I need to be aware of. Every so often I run across used ones here locally. When it comes time to buy I would certainly consider a clean used one, just want to make sure I know everything I need to.
You can get used Versys ridiculously cheaply. Mine is an 09 that I bought last month with 175 miles on it for $4000. The 09 has some vibes, but they are not an issue to me at all. Vibrations are very subjective, so you just have to give one a whirl to see if you can live with it.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #4743
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post

Any chance this is will fit on a Ninja 650? I've been looking for a topcase.

also... I used to have a Miata too, loved that car.

Mazda Miata MX-5 by Southwade, on Flickr

southwade screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 07:34 PM
southwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #4744
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,360
From a quick look of my sources, I can't find a toprack for the '12 Ninja 650 currently available.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #4745
kebrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Well we have had the 2009 V for two years and it shows 20,000 miles on the clock. The girl and I performed the first valve adjustment and spark plug replacement this past Saturday as the weather forecast called for rain. The old plugs lookde fine and no valve adjustments were required.

All 4 of the exhaust valves were at .25 mm (.22 to .31 allowed) The Intakes were in the middle of their adjustment range. I did not adjust the exhaust to the middle of their range as all the valves were so consistent (all exhaust the same and all intakes the same) that I wanted to leave them as found. The whole thing took less than 4 hours and was as low stress as it gets.

We will go in again at 30K, since it so easy, to check again and that should help me decide if I need to adjust the exhaust to the middle of the range.

The bike has been utterly reliable. Adjusted the chain only twice but I lube it every ride with Lucas transmission fluid stabilizer. Sprockets and chain look great. We inspected the countershaft sprocket and it showed very little wear.

The bike looks brand new with not so much as a scratch on any surface and the bike is ridden hard virtually every weekend the weather is nice.

Nice job Kawasaki.

KEB
kebrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #4746
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
From a quick look of my sources, I can't find a toprack for the '12 Ninja 650 currently available.
There isn't one... there is a Givi for the 2012 ER6F (which is actually slightly different) and it won't fit the Ninja 650
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #4747
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
You can get used Versys ridiculously cheaply. Mine is an 09 that I bought last month with 175 miles on it for $4000. The 09 has some vibes, but they are not an issue to me at all. Vibrations are very subjective, so you just have to give one a whirl to see if you can live with it.
Yeah I see a few used ones every so often, but it seems like people are asking just about full retail for them. I did go look at one a few weeks ago that was for a reasonable price but the tank was scuffed really bad from a tank bag that was left on it while it sat in a garage for 3 years. This is compounded by the fact that I am a bit neurotic and want my bike to look like a Harley garage-queen even though I put a good deal of miles on them. So I am keeping my eyes open for a good used one, but will probably end up buying new to make sure it looks as good as I want it.

Edit to say: Now that I think of it, coming from a cruiser that revs way too high for freeway speeds, vibrations probably will not be too much of an issue.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #4748
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Yeah I see a few used ones every so often, but it seems like people are asking just about full retail for them. I did go look at one a few weeks ago that was for a reasonable price but the tank was scuffed really bad from a tank bag that was left on it while it sat in a garage for 3 years. This is compounded by the fact that I am a bit neurotic and want my bike to look like a Harley garage-queen even though I put a good deal of miles on them. So I am keeping my eyes open for a good used one, but will probably end up buying new to make sure it looks as good as I want it.

Edit to say: Now that I think of it, coming from a cruiser that revs way too high for freeway speeds, vibrations probably will not be too much of an issue.
I don't really notice the vibes on the Versys. They aren't as pronounced as on my EX500 and definitely nothing like what my VS800 produces.

Also, my stator is fried. What are opinions on Ricks vs. OEM? Burnt stators seem like a fairly common problem according to what I've read on kawasakiversys.com and I'm leery of putting another OEM unit in and having it die in another 15k.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #4749
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:

If you aren't familiar with it www.searchtempest.com is a great craigslist search engine.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #4750
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrider View Post
Well we have had the 2009 V for two years and it shows 20,000 miles on the clock. The girl and I performed the first valve adjustment and spark plug replacement this past Saturday as the weather forecast called for rain. The old plugs lookde fine and no valve adjustments were required.

All 4 of the exhaust valves were at .25 mm (.22 to .31 allowed) The Intakes were in the middle of their adjustment range. I did not adjust the exhaust to the middle of their range as all the valves were so consistent (all exhaust the same and all intakes the same) that I wanted to leave them as found. The whole thing took less than 4 hours and was as low stress as it gets.

We will go in again at 30K, since it so easy, to check again and that should help me decide if I need to adjust the exhaust to the middle of the range.

The bike has been utterly reliable. Adjusted the chain only twice but I lube it every ride with Lucas transmission fluid stabilizer. Sprockets and chain look great. We inspected the countershaft sprocket and it showed very little wear.

The bike looks brand new with not so much as a scratch on any surface and the bike is ridden hard virtually every weekend the weather is nice.

Nice job Kawasaki.

KEB
I am at 600 miles and my chain needs to be snugged up a little already. That's good to hear about the valves.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #4751
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
I don't really notice the vibes on the Versys. They aren't as pronounced as on my EX500 and definitely nothing like what my VS800 produces.

Also, my stator is fried. What are opinions on Ricks vs. OEM? Burnt stators seem like a fairly common problem according to what I've read on kawasakiversys.com and I'm leery of putting another OEM unit in and having it die in another 15k.
The OEM stator does seem to be the V's week link. I'd go with an aftermarket one.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #4752
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
The OEM stator does seem to be the V's week link. I'd go with an aftermarket one.
+1

I don't think it's a 'big' issue however, it's not like every other owner has experienced this.Stators can be finicky on bikes in general. Any one in several thousand is gonna fry for one reason or another. Heard of it happening on every brand of motorcycle, albiet very rare.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #4753
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
What are opinions on Ricks
Who's Rick?

Is it an overbuilt aftermarket part?
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #4754
Fishnbait
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

I picked up a clean 08 about a year ago and have since put 16,000 miles on it. It does have a slight buzz in a certain RPM range. No rubber mounts.
Last month Kawasaki Demo Days came to town and I was able to ride the 2012 Versys. It also had a slight buzz just in a different RPM range. I couldn't see a big difference.

Side note: If you get a chance to do a Demo Day with Kawasaki you won't regret it. They let you ride the crap out of their bikes.
Fishnbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #4755
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
I have 108 Kms on my new 2011 versys. I also have a huge grin on my face, besides pissing down rain here for the rest of the week...
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote