Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #4756
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
I picked up a clean 08 about a year ago and have since put 16,000 miles on it. It does have a slight buzz in a certain RPM range. No rubber mounts.
Last month Kawasaki Demo Days came to town and I was able to ride the 2012 Versys. It also had a slight buzz just in a different RPM range. I couldn't see a big difference.

Side note: If you get a chance to do a Demo Day with Kawasaki you won't regret it. They let you ride the crap out of their bikes.
A little adhesive backed foam weather stripping tape is all it takes to fix this. See KawasakiVersys.com. There are several threads on this.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #4757
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,556
I just squirted some clear RTV in the gap.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #4758
Fishnbait
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
A little adhesive backed foam weather stripping tape is all it takes to fix this. See KawasakiVersys.com. There are several threads on this.

I guess I explained it wrong. There is a slight vibration at certain RPMs. Padding plastic will stop the buzz, but not stop the vibes.
Fishnbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #4759
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
Padding plastic will stop the buzz, but not stop the vibes.
Sure it will, just needs more RTV.

Or moar cow bell.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #4760
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Who's Rick?

Is it an overbuilt aftermarket part?

I'm not going to publicly flame Rick's Motorsports on the internet, so if you want to know what happened PM me.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #4761
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I just squirted some clear RTV in the gap.
I was getting ready to respond to this until I saw I wasn't in JoMomma.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #4762
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
I'm not going to publicly flame Rick's Motorsports on the internet, so if you want to know what happened PM me.
It's OK to tell your story as you experienced it. Just stating the facts isn't a flame. The beauty of the net is that its an outstanding tool for education and information.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #4763
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Is it just my toolkit that doesn't have a tool to remove the front wheel? Seem's kinda odd to me.. what say you? does yours?

And finding a 14mm hex driver socket is like finding nemo in these parts.. guess I'll check Harbor Freights..

9/16 ( I think) All-Thread rod connecters do the job. Ace, Home Depot. or Lowe's has them.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #4764
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
9/16 ( I think) All-Thread rod connecters do the job. Ace, Home Depot. or Lowe's has them.
9/16" is just a teeny bigger than 14 mm. If it takes a 9/16" wrench then the bolt or threaded rod is 3/8".
Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #4765
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
It's OK to tell your story as you experienced it. Just stating the facts isn't a flame. The beauty of the net is that its an outstanding tool for education and information.

Rick’s was highly recommended so I sent my old stator to them w/the agreement that they would do what they could to upgrade it for as much capacity as possible.

My original factory stator……………….

The interaction w/them was very nice and the package was on my doorstep in what I thought was pretty quick. But this was what they sent……………………………

They in no means used up the capacity of the poles, the wraps are loose, sloppy, and there is very little epoxy coating. Look at the wraps that fall into the mounting flange area. I discovered this when it wouldn’t seat into the cover properly. What a piece of crap I thought. When installed, it put out less voltage than the burnt one sent to them.
I was leaving the next weekend for an out of state rally so I called Rick’s up and asked them if they would send me another one. The girl said that they will not do that, and they need to personally test the one sent output and evaluate before sending another one. I told her my voltmeter [Fluke] is fine and that if I removed it again that the bike would be inoperable for riding till it was replaced. I then reminded her that she had my credit card no# and she could always lean on it if I didn’t send the other one back once they were switched out. She said that she wasn’t willing to do that. She said that I also had the option of sending it back for a complete refund. Now I’m pissed. I don’t want my money back, I want a proper stator.
So I did some research on the web and found a place called Custom Rewind out of Alabama. I talked to the owner on the phone telling him about my experience with Rick’s and said he was very surprised. He said he personally knows Rick and feels as though he is a stand up guy and maybe my experience was an anomaly. [I’m hoping it is] But I’m done w/Rick’s.
Anyway he said he would send me a stator out as soon as possible, and even told me that I would not have to pay for it until I had seen it myself, and was satisfied w/it.
Look what was in the box…………………….

Now look at this beauty. The poles are filled, the wraps are tight, and there is a plenty of epoxy. I can run everything I have, full heated gear and high beam at idle and it still keeps the battery monitor on my instrument panel glowing green. And did I mention that he charged me even less than Rick’s did.

Now look the side by side pics here. Look at the difference in the thickness of the stator itself. I was afraid that I was sent the wrong one and was concerned that it would not fit. [it did] The Custom Rewind stator was also sooo much heavier. Seriously compare the difference yourself.

Custom Rewind on left, Rick's on right......................

So I'm not reccomending Rick's as you can see.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #4766
MikePike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
That thing is a beast!

you say Custom Rewind eh? How much did that set you back? If it helps with the electronics I might just replace mine for the hell of it. I'm running a GPS, heated gloves and that is about it for the moment. Planning on adding some auxillary lights to the front in the near future. BEWARE MY SPOTLIGHTS DEER!
MikePike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #4767
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePike View Post
That thing is a beast!

you say Custom Rewind eh? How much did that set you back? If it helps with the electronics I might just replace mine for the hell of it. I'm running a GPS, heated gloves and that is about it for the moment. Planning on adding some auxillary lights to the front in the near future. BEWARE MY SPOTLIGHTS DEER!

I can't remember the price, but I think it was around $100 or so.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #4768
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Rick’s was highly recommended so I sent my old stator to them w/the agreement that they would do what they could to upgrade it for as much capacity as possible.

My original factory stator……………….

The interaction w/them was very nice and the package was on my doorstep in what I thought was pretty quick. But this was what they sent……………………………

They in no means used up the capacity of the poles, the wraps are loose, sloppy, and there is very little epoxy coating. Look at the wraps that fall into the mounting flange area. I discovered this when it wouldn’t seat into the cover properly. What a piece of crap I thought. When installed, it put out less voltage than the burnt one sent to them.
I was leaving the next weekend for an out of state rally so I called Rick’s up and asked them if they would send me another one. The girl said that they will not do that, and they need to personally test the one sent output and evaluate before sending another one. I told her my voltmeter [Fluke] is fine and that if I removed it again that the bike would be inoperable for riding till it was replaced. I then reminded her that she had my credit card no# and she could always lean on it if I didn’t send the other one back once they were switched out. She said that she wasn’t willing to do that. She said that I also had the option of sending it back for a complete refund. Now I’m pissed. I don’t want my money back, I want a proper stator.
So I did some research on the web and found a place called Custom Rewind out of Alabama. I talked to the owner on the phone telling him about my experience with Rick’s and said he was very surprised. He said he personally knows Rick and feels as though he is a stand up guy and maybe my experience was an anomaly. [I’m hoping it is] But I’m done w/Rick’s.
Anyway he said he would send me a stator out as soon as possible, and even told me that I would not have to pay for it until I had seen it myself, and was satisfied w/it.
Look what was in the box…………………….

Now look at this beauty. The poles are filled, the wraps are tight, and there is a plenty of epoxy. I can run everything I have, full heated gear and high beam at idle and it still keeps the battery monitor on my instrument panel glowing green. And did I mention that he charged me even less than Rick’s did.

Now look the side by side pics here. Look at the difference in the thickness of the stator itself. I was afraid that I was sent the wrong one and was concerned that it would not fit. [it did] The Custom Rewind stator was also sooo much heavier. Seriously compare the difference yourself.

Custom Rewind on left, Rick's on right......................

So I'm not reccomending Rick's as you can see.
Thanks for the great post and presenting the facts in as non-biased format as possible. I wish there was more like you on these forums.
I was wondering what my options were going to be on my V once the heated grips were installed. Now I know I'll have no worries about powering up a heated suite as well.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #4769
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
im totally getting that mod for my versys!

looks like a winner for keeping us warm on cold evenings.
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #4770
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Thanks for the great post and presenting the facts in as non-biased format as possible. I wish there was more like you on these forums.
I was wondering what my options were going to be on my V once the heated grips were installed. Now I know I'll have no worries about powering up a heated suite as well.
What worries me is if the guy from Custom rewind is right when he said that maybe my experience w/ Rick's might be an anomoly. If it is, then I'm potentially an asshole for posting my experience. See the problem?