Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #4786
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Hey, my clutch cable broke today. I can't remember the last time that happened to me on a streetbike. The dealer's got one on order, and it's covered under warranty, but it sure seems like an odd failure. Anyone else experience this?

It's a problem that's been noted by others Kurt. There's been speculation that it's from improper lubrication and/or poor routing of the cable at the factory. I've personally ridden my '08 58k miles on the same clutch cable with no problems. I'm planning on carrying a spare with me on my new '11 as I have been doing with the '08 since it reached around 35k miles.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #4787
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I run heated jacket liner and gloves which draw a combined 104 watts (Gerbings website) with the stock stator in my 2008. No issues so far with the stock alternator. I have not run into any power limitations with the stock stator.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #4788
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
It's a problem that's been noted by others Kurt. There's been speculation that it's from improper lubrication and/or poor routing of the cable at the factory. I've personally ridden my '08 58k miles on the same clutch cable with no problems. I'm planning on carrying a spare with me on my new '11 as I have been doing with the '08 since it reached around 35k miles.
Thanks for the feedback on that. I had missed those reports. Hmmm, perhaps I want to pick up a spare or two.

A couple of recent changes that I'm liking so far include the speedy peg lowering blocks, adding some length to the shock, and going down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. I had resisted the peg lowering move because I didn't want to give up cornering clearance, but the first weekend out I only touched down once, so not so bad.

The shock is a Hyperpro with the adjustable length upgrade that is an option. In addition to lowering pegs, this bike has always felt a tiny bit low in back to me - it's a personal preference to have the bike a little more tilted forward - so it seemed like a good time to begin experimenting. I put one full round of length into the shock (the only choices are in half round increments), and the bike feels better balanced and a little sharper to me. I may experiment with more because it's certainly not too sharp right now.

Dropping a tooth on the countershaft helps address one of the things the Versys lacks compared to larger displacement bikes - the "snap" to make quick overtakes. Combined with a quick turn throttle, it makes the power that is there more accessible, and also makes it a bit easier to plonk along off-road. Probably not a change for everyone, but I'm happy with it. A Speedo-Healer arrived in the mail the other day for me to install to correct the speedo/odo. FWIW, it makes about a 400 rpm difference at local freeway speeds, and it makes a negligible difference in fuel consumption once I put a correction factor in for odo inaccuracy.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #4789
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on that. I had missed those reports. Hmmm, perhaps I want to pick up a spare or two.

A couple of recent changes that I'm liking so far include the speedy peg lowering blocks, adding some length to the shock, and going down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. I had resisted the peg lowering move because I didn't want to give up cornering clearance, but the first weekend out I only touched down once, so not so bad.

The shock is a Hyperpro with the adjustable length upgrade that is an option. In addition to lowering pegs, this bike has always felt a tiny bit low in back to me - it's a personal preference to have the bike a little more tilted forward - so it seemed like a good time to begin experimenting. I put one full round of length into the shock (the only choices are in half round increments), and the bike feels better balanced and a little sharper to me. I may experiment with more because it's certainly not too sharp right now.

Dropping a tooth on the countershaft helps address one of the things the Versys lacks compared to larger displacement bikes - the "snap" to make quick overtakes. Combined with a quick turn throttle, it makes the power that is there more accessible, and also makes it a bit easier to plonk along off-road. Probably not a change for everyone, but I'm happy with it. A Speedo-Healer arrived in the mail the other day for me to install to correct the speedo/odo. FWIW, it makes about a 400 rpm difference at local freeway speeds, and it makes a negligible difference in fuel consumption once I put a correction factor in for odo inaccuracy.
You are one of the few that looks for accelleration snap then because the majority of owners went the other way, a smaller rear sprocket. I can't imagine gearing it up any further, that would just turn it into a hiway cruiser for one-up.

Oh well, you can't tell them anything, they like what they like. Personally I like to run the bike right at about 6500, it just sings along, and still has some good accelleration for passing. With stock gearing it's doing about 80. I think a lot of those guys like to hear the motor turning about 5K. Just not sure why. Only thing I can think of is they're just not used to a road bike that sings, and they short-shift the shit out of them.

Same on the handling, it is quite docile. A little quicker turn in wouldn't hurt it at all, but that's not for beginners.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #4790
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You are one of the few that looks for accelleration snap then because the majority of owners went the other way, a smaller rear sprocket. I can't imagine gearing it up any further, that would just turn it into a hiway cruiser for one-up.
Yeah, it eludes me. The motor is really nice when you let it spin.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #4791
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
But it's not like I had dealt w/Rick himself.
As has been stated, it doesn't matter whether or not you dealt with Rick himself. He owns the place, thus he's ultimately responsible for the behavior of his employees and the quality of his services and parts.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #4792
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399
Laugh

I just run it in 5th gear unless I'm on the highway going 75+.

With the higher revs in 5th gear, its more like a cat ready to pounce on a mouse if you let it go. If I am in any kind of twisties, its 4th gear. RPM = MPH*10. SO it will jump to 90 at 9,000 RPM in a heart beat.

Everybody likes a different bike. I like mine "ready".

This bike has the best factory suspension I have ever used. Adjustments make a big difference. Springs on both ends are right for my weight and riding style.

Love my V.

David
Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #4793
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 232
Passing acceleration is an issue on the V? My stone stock '11 has plenty of passing power leaving it in top gear. In 6th pull out to pass a car at 55mph and when I clear them enough to safely move back over, I'm running 80+. Heck, I hit just a tick over 90mph passing a semi. I'm no small guy either.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #4794
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Scorpions

Just put Pirelli Scorpion Trials on front and back .. really like them thus far.. probably 500miles on them now and love the handling/cornering. So far.. great tire!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #4795
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Passing acceleration is an issue on the V? My stone stock '11 has plenty of passing power leaving it in top gear. In 6th pull out to pass a car at 55mph and when I clear them enough to safely move back over, I'm running 80+. Heck, I hit just a tick over 90mph passing a semi. I'm no small guy either.
My other bike is a Ducati Hypermotard. When I snap the throttle open on that stuff happens NOW. By comparison, the Versys takes a more deliberate approach to passing. Now before a boatload of folks come on to lecture me that it's an unfair comparison, yada-yada, all I'm pointing out is that it is a part of the Versys that can be improved, and that's what I've done.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #4796
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:

Yeah, living here in Mexico, you need to anticipate problemas like failed clutch cables, or be willing to sit around for 3 weeks waiting for the replacement part to arrive. I'm 6'2", so I fortunately don't have to consider lowering the bike, and even though I lean aggressively into turns have never done more than graze a peg, even though the tires get scrubbed all the way to the edges. I really like that about this bike's geometry. If you come down here for La Carrerra Mexicana, I'll be interested to pick your brain about your new shock. I'm not sure I would gear the rear to a higher ratio as you have, but I would not gear it lower as a lot of riders have done unless I lived in the middle of the Great Plains, and never made it into the Rockies or Appalachians.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #4797
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Scorpion Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Just put Pirelli Scorpion Trials on front and back .. really like them thus far.. probably 500miles on them now and love the handling/cornering. So far.. great tire!

There a lot of reports these days from riders on these tires. Extreme popularity I'd say. They just work great on this bike.

I'm getting close to 5K on mine, maybe the rear will go a few more miles. But I'll be ready for another set before long. Definitely getting the 160 rear this time - they weren't out yet when I got mine.

They just stick everywhere, even on dirt. Inspiring handling.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #4798
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
My other bike is a Ducati Hypermotard. When I snap the throttle open on that stuff happens NOW.
That was the bike that I fell in love with at the bike show and got me back into street riding. Short of $$ I bought the versys instead. Not unhappy. I'd probly rather have a 'strada anyway. Very cool bike though, very fast. Is that the 796 or 996? (or whatever they are, my memory fails me. )
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #4799
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I'm 6'2", so I fortunately don't have to consider lowering the bike, and even though I lean aggressively into turns have never done more than graze a peg, even though the tires get scrubbed all the way to the edges.
I didn't lower the bike, I lowered the pegs. Because of the adjustment to shock length the bike is slightly taller now.

Quote:
There a lot of reports these days from riders on these tires. Extreme popularity I'd say. They just work great on this bike.

I'm getting close to 5K on mine, maybe the rear will go a few more miles. But I'll be ready for another set before long. Definitely getting the 160 rear this time - they weren't out yet when I got mine.

They just stick everywhere, even on dirt. Inspiring handling.
Putting on a set Wednesday, and can't wait. I have run the old Scorpion Syncs on my other Versys and love them.

Quote:
That was the bike that I fell in love with at the bike show and got me back into street riding. Short of $$ I bought the versys instead. Not unhappy. I'd probly rather have a 'strada anyway. Very cool bike though, very fast. Is that the 796 or 996? (or whatever they are, my memory fails me. )
My Hyper is the 1100 version, and it's the most fun street bike I've ever ridden. But, here's the part folks may find hard to believe - I think the Versys may be the better handling bike of the two. The Hyper has many good points, but front end feel is a bit vague, and it is definitely twitchy. I have to be on my game when I ride it as it doesn't do "relaxed" very well. It behaves best when ridden hard - smoothly, but not violently. As a bike to ride all day everywhere the Versys is a better choice, and in the tighter twisties I can ride it pretty much as quickly as the Ducati - until I encounter traffic. The Versys has about the sweetest turn-in of any bike I've owned. Very reassuring. It's a great bike.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #4800
jackster1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh versys

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee

great bike for tootling bout on and living in the uk 60mpg makes a big difference on what you buy
jackster1 is offline   Reply With Quote