Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #4831
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Kawasaki should take the hint and release a Versys ADV version .

I know a few people who buy a bike like that, especially the ones wary of BMW and/or Triumph running costs.
People have been asking for this from the big-four for the past 20 plus years. We got the Trans-Alp, the DR650, the XR650L and the KLR.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #4832
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,398
Question Spokes?

Why do some of you put on spoke wheels? So you can run tubes? So they are harder to clean?

I wanted radial tubeless tires and fuel injection with good brakes. I got all 3 on this bike.

Just asking.

David
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #4833
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Why do some of you put on spoke wheels? So you can run tubes? So they are harder to clean?

I wanted radial tubeless tires and fuel injection with good brakes. I got all 3 on this bike.

Just asking.

David
Spoked rims are more durable, bend less easily, and won't break. Some are configured to run tubeless tires, some are not. A 19" front offers vastly more choices for dualsport and offroad type tires. Spoked wheels are a $450 upgrade on a GS.

They are harder to clean and generally weigh more, but the strength is a huge asset. Many with spoked wheels wish they had a cast alloy wheel.

The three things you mention are less important for an offroad motorcyle. Lightweight, long travel suspension, and lower gearing are the things offroaders want.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #4834
freebird82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Just checking in to say, I still love this bike. Hers a lil vid of me ripping some roads near big bear. Spot the deer at 0:53?

freebird82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #4835
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird82 View Post
Just checking in to say, I still love this bike. Hers a lil vid of me ripping some roads near big bear. Spot the deer at 0:53?

You ride faster than I do.

Now, I don't wanna hear that you went off the road on that thing, emkay????
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #4836
APMEKINEK
I Ain't Skeered

Oddometer: 3
Today a Harley guy asked if my Versys was a BMW. Made me laugh!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #4837
JetWrench
jetwrench

Oddometer: 281

Just rode mine on about a 900 mile trip to the Smokies and the Dragon. Great bike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2011 Kawasaki Versys:
JetWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #4838
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
I love it too.

I keep struggling over poping for those wheels.
I bought a DRZ for pretty close to what those wheels cost and figured I was covered with the 2 bikes.
But after my TET trip I am back thinking about taking my Versys up a notch again.
The DRZ is fun, but not a multi day mile muncher like the Versys.

BTW if the TET though your area is anything like it was down here you will have a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckrom View Post
I checked in a while back but I finally got the bike done. Figured I would share. I wanted to take a great bike and make it amazing! I plan on taking the bike and myself across the Trans Eastern Trail this memorial day weekend. Going to spend about a week and a half on the trail. Not sure how far I will get but that is all part of the adventure. I hope you all like. I love the way it turned out.

Sent from my ATRIX 4G using Tapatalk 2
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4839
Neckrom
What was that!

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I love it too.

I keep struggling over poping for those wheels.
I bought a DRZ for pretty close to what those wheels cost and figured I was covered with the 2 bikes.
But after my TET trip I am back thinking about taking my Versys up a notch again.
The DRZ is fun, but not a multi day mile muncher like the Versys.

BTW if the TET though your area is anything like it was down here you will have a great trip.
I am hoping to give the bike a real good run on the TJNT to the TET and if time permits I will try and make it to the TWVT just after Beckley. I gave the setup a run last week on the TNJT south and it went great. I am going to try and trip report the whole ride. I guess it will depend on if my wifi hooks up on the trail. I think it will be fine except some remote parts of WV.

Sent from my Atrux 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #4840
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Took the plunge

I know a few of you guys and I am hoping some of you can give me a few hints. My 09 klr finally died for the last time so it went away. I am now the proud owner of a left over 09 Versys. Whats the do's and dont's of the Versys..
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #4841
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffWv View Post
I know a few of you guys and I am hoping some of you can give me a few hints. My 09 klr finally died for the last time so it went away. I am now the proud owner of a left over 09 Versys. Whats the do's and dont's of the Versys..
Invest in the Seat Concepts seat and ride it like you stole it. Great bikes. I've put nearly 1500 miles on my '11 since I bought it new about a month ago. Any other accessories/mods is just to taste.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #4842
JetWrench
jetwrench

Oddometer: 281
I am using the Airhawk. So far so good....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2011 Kawasaki Versys:
JetWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #4843
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
DO ride it for a couple thousand miles before you change anything. Something that initially irks you might be a non-issue after you get used to it. Other problems might only reveal itself after more experience with the bike.
DO put better tires on it than the original Dunflops it came with. Any. The bike will feel a whole lot better.
DON'T leave the bike sitting in the garage. Go ride!
DO free the clutch cable from its ridiculous routing, it does not need all those restraints and sharp bends due to the brackets.
DO lube the clutch cable barrel (at the end of the cable, connection to the clutch lever) to make sure it doesn't bind, to prevent fraying and breaking the clutch cable directly below the clutch cable barrel.
DO ride the engine in the 6000-8500 rpm range, it is very happy and VERY responsive there.
DON'T worry if regular 15 mile rides seem to turn into 120 miles forays. This is a natural process with Versys owners and should not be fought.
DO have fun on this bike (how can you not!?), that's why we ride.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #4844
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
DO ride it for a couple thousand miles before you change anything. Something that initially irks you might be a non-issue after you get used to it. Other problems might only reveal itself after more experience with the bike.
DO put better tires on it than the original Dunflops it came with. Any. The bike will feel a whole lot better.
DON'T leave the bike sitting in the garage. Go ride!
DO free the clutch cable from its ridiculous routing, it does not need all those restraints and sharp bends due to the brackets.
DO lube the clutch cable barrel (at the end of the cable, connection to the clutch lever) to make sure it doesn't bind, to prevent fraying and breaking the clutch cable directly below the clutch cable barrel.
DO ride the engine in the 6000-8500 rpm range, it is very happy and VERY responsive there.
DON'T worry if regular 15 mile rides seem to turn into 120 miles forays. This is a natural process with Versys owners and should not be fought.
DO have fun on this bike (how can you not!?), that's why we ride.
+1 Solid advice

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #4845
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,983
Quote:
well, since ya asked...don't blow up the motor 10 times like ya did with that poor KLR.

then there's those DRZ forks you'll be wanting for Dunkle Hollow, Vepco, TWVT, BRT, and a few other places.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote