Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #5506
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
JD, is removing the trellis a dangerous omission to the structural integrity on the Versys?
the subject has been kicked around since the day the Versys was introduced.

i can say with certainty that the Versys subframe flexes with a load and the struts in place, so it seems certain that there is flex under variable conditions without the struts.

dangerous, can't say, but i quit riding my Versys framed moto without the struts.

i don't carry a passenger, so i cut the rear footrests off and smoothed everything out, improved the aesthetics a little.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #5507
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,708
I am certainly no structural engineer but it seems to me that removing a structure of steel triangles that provide support for a cantilevered section of the back would be a bad thing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #5508
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 885
Hey, any of you Versys owners install the OEM relay kit and 12V socket? It costs a bit (the relay seems decent but the 12V socket is pretty ridiculous) but from the installation instructions it looks like it's meant to be a direct plug-in to a dedicated socket.

Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #5509
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Cost??

Are you dealing with conventional outlet or the "BMW" style? A 12v relay is about $10 US at a NAPA type store. The conventional "cigarette lighter" outlet is from $5- $10 at any parts store, Walmart or truck stop. Don't laugh; some truck stops have lots of heavy duty accessories and wiring that work well on a bike, versus some of the wimpy ones found at auto stores.

The BMW type is more expensive, but is available on the internet at less than $20.

You might pop for an adapter for BMW style from conventional style. They are about $12 bucks and will allow transfer to other bikes, and vehicles.
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #5510
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Eek NEED a set of forks for 2008 Versys

Pranged ol' Red Dog on a front end washout.

I need a left fork for sure. We hope to be able to rebuild the right one. Run out is fine if straight.

Interested in a left fork, a set of forks, or an entire front end if the price is right.

If you have any leads (in the USA) please PM me.

Thanks for the thoughts
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #5511
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
Pranged ol' Red Dog on a front end washout.

I need a left fork for sure. We hope to be able to rebuild the right one. Run out is fine if straight.

Interested in a left fork, a set of forks, or an entire front end if the price is right.

If you have any leads (in the USA) please PM me.

Thanks for the thoughts
I hope you're okay!

SoSlow screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:42 PM
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #5512
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
Are you dealing with conventional outlet or the "BMW" style? A 12v relay is about $10 US at a NAPA type store. The conventional "cigarette lighter" outlet is from $5- $10 at any parts store, Walmart or truck stop. Don't laugh; some truck stops have lots of heavy duty accessories and wiring that work well on a bike, versus some of the wimpy ones found at auto stores.

The BMW type is more expensive, but is available on the internet at less than $20.

You might pop for an adapter for BMW style from conventional style. They are about $12 bucks and will allow transfer to other bikes, and vehicles.
Yep, I put an inexpensive cigarette lighter style outlet on the KLR (go figure) but was looking at the Kawi brand relay kit and outlet. It all seems to fit together quite nicely on the Versys but I do like the BMW style connector more. The relay kit plugs right into an existing connector and is about $30, the outlet seats in the relay harness and runs $80 or so which strikes me as kind of crazy or perhaps it's made of platinum...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #5513
Hoghead
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Versys beak

A BMW - GS style beak has been kicking around Malaysia for a while so I purchased one only to discover that it is an ill fitting, substandard POS with sub-standard mounting brackets. In the typical Asian business model the Seller refused to refund my money which sent me on a quest to do it right

Here is the finished product, attached with the same Kawi screws as the side panels. Paint is a rattle can for these pics and does not match but gives you the general idea. It does not look bad in black, although I think I will paint mine red.

It is a 3 pieces part - the 2 side filler panels and the beak. One can run just the side panels or c/w beak as the style strikes you
I am going to run my bike like this, less beak.

Mounting screws are the same Kawi fairing screws

I made a few extras should anyone fancy one. 2010 models and later as that is all I have to build it off.
Side faring panels only 115.00 USD
Side fairings c/w beak 160.00 USD

For those of you that like a beak:

Hoghead screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 04:09 AM
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #5514
MotoSailorDC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
That looks really good - how does it affect the throw of the high beam though?

Slowly building a herd!
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #5515
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Well, if you're going to put a beak on it, you need a couple of these:

http://ruddbow.com/main/products-pag...l-beamer-blue/
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #5516
Hoghead
n00b

Oddometer: 4
High beam works fine with the beak
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #5517
billybumbler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
New Versys owner

Hello All. New owner checking in. After not having a street bike for a few years (last one was an LC4 Supermoto) I walked into a shop and rode out on a Versys. I knew almost nothing about the bike and have no idea why I picked it, but after riding it and reading up on it I don't think I could have made a better choice.

This is intended to be my first adventure bike, so any suggestion on mods/gear/southern california rides would be much appreciated.
billybumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #5518
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybumbler View Post
Hello All. New owner checking in. After not having a street bike for a few years (last one was an LC4 Supermoto) I walked into a shop and rode out on a Versys. I knew almost nothing about the bike and have no idea why I picked it, but after riding it and reading up on it I don't think I could have made a better choice.

This is intended to be my first adventure bike, so any suggestion on mods/gear/southern california rides would be much appreciated.
I'm in a similar situation as you - I've got crash bars and barkbusters on my list so far.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #5519
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Welcome to the club!

There are some greatother resources for these bikes - including this thread here (check out some of JDRocks posts - informative AND entertaining). For some good, specific info - check out the Versys Forum.

The versys forum has some great detailed mods. You will have the new bike customized to your liking in no time.

Congratulations on the purchase. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybumbler View Post

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #5520
DuckWV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
I have my 2012 for sale if anyone is interested. I love the bike, but have other priorities right now.

2012 Versys

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote