User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #541
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Versys 2UP on Palomar Mountain

We don't see too many Versys out here in Califorinia. Just noticed this one got captured on Palomar Mountain by Rick Clemons on March 22nd

Nice 2UP Versys shot!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #542
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Versys Can Qs

Is this a cytalytic convert? How does it affect preformance? Any options other than 4/5 hundred buck for aftermarket? Does it hold much heat? Can it be modified?
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #543
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswork
Is this a cytalytic convert? How does it affect preformance? Any options other than 4/5 hundred buck for aftermarket? Does it hold much heat? Can it be modified?
If you are asking about the bike on Palomar Mountain, I rather doubt it was CA plated (no photo showing the license), or else it was over 7500 miles before being brought in... so then it would have no mods.
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #544
ManVersysNature
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoland
We don't see too many Versys out here in Califorinia. Just noticed this one got captured on Palomar Mountain by Rick Clemons on March 22nd

Nice 2UP Versys shot!
That dude makes the Versys look like a scooter, he is huge
ManVersysNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #545
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
I'm giving this bike some serious consideration. I haven't ridden it yet, but you guys all have posted glowing reviews, so that is good enough for me. My commute involves 7 miles of gravel road, so I'm thinking of ways to keep the mud off the pipes and radiator. Maybe a fender extender along with some sort of skirt hanging off the bottom of the radiator? Thanks for all the write-ups!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #546
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
You cannot go wrong with the Versys
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #547
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
I'm giving this bike some serious consideration. I haven't ridden it yet, but you guys all have posted glowing reviews, so that is good enough for me. My commute involves 7 miles of gravel road, so I'm thinking of ways to keep the mud off the pipes and radiator. Maybe a fender extender along with some sort of skirt hanging off the bottom of the radiator? Thanks for all the write-ups!
Fender extender and Happy Trails Bash Plate, problem solved! I can post pics if you like.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #548
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Yes, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting1
Fender extender and Happy Trails Bash Plate, problem solved! I can post pics if you like.
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #549
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswork
Yes, the it's a cat-con and silencer unit. The bike runs pretty well as delivered from the dealer, it's smooth and linear. No manufacturers show dyno charts of their aftermarket units mounted on the Versys. The closest you'll find (other than someone's personal bike tested - haven't seen that yet, but there probably are some out there) is the Two-Brothers' Ninja 650 dyno run. It seems to smooth the curve and add about ~4 HP in the midrange but no gains in peak HP. Not sure if that's the slip-on by itself or after tweaking the Fi map with a Power Commander (or similar). I assume the Versys will show similar (but not identical, different tune from factory) results.

I haven't noticed anything different about the heat coming from the OE silencer compared to other bikes I've had. It doesn't seem to be an issue unless you put your hand on it... Everything can be modified if you are determined enough. It's a royal pain in the ass in this case, you might as well buy a slip-on unit if you really need to pollute more.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #550
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Greetings from Croatia

Here is mine too:-)

I just picked it up yesterday, I have only 200 kilometers on the clock, but I just can't ripp off the smile from my face.

It is ABS model, fully equiped, and lots of goodies are still to come.

Greetings to all of you,

Andrija
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #551
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I am leaving my engine and suspension completely stock. The convertor does not hurt the performance. This is one of the best bikes right out of the box that you can buy. Why screw with something when all you have to do is ride it. There is nothing wrong with the Versys but weak brakes and they are not a problem.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #552
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric

It is ABS model, fully equiped, and lots of goodies are still to come.

Greetings to all of you,

Andrija
I would love to see the ABS model in the states when I get back; but, for some reason, K does not want to sell ABS in America.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #553
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyman
I like your aftermarket handlebars and the hand guards. Can you fill us in on the details (brand/model/etc.)?

Thanks!
I replaced the stock bars with Protaper ATV HIGH (1-1/8" dia). Had to bore out the riser to accept, plus relieve the bars slightly for the original (but longer) bolts to pass.

The handguards are KTM enduro, left side bolts up, right side hits brake line so heavy zip ties holds the end to handlebar, but keeps wind/rain off very well.

As for the 16T CS, I have developed a harmonic hmmm/roar around 50-52 mph (stock CS has embedded rubber dampeners) so plan to pull it go back to stock and replace the rear tire with 150/70/17 which is about 8% larger in Circumference than the stock 160/60/17, that should fix the speedo error also.
Attached Images

llamapacker screwed with this post 04-02-2008 at 06:27 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #554
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C
I would love to see the ABS model in the states when I get back; but, for some reason, K does not want to sell ABS in America.
I am not sure why dont you get the ABS model in America? It is standard Bosch ABS, that is implemented in BMW, Suzuki, and some other companies. Nothing special about it.

I hope that I won't be in the need of using it, but it is nice to know it is there

Greetings, Andrija
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #555
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
My experience with Bosch ABS

First, i developed bad habit of seldom use of rear foot brake. Second, Costly mechanical failures related to ABS electronics. fortunatily was saved by a good 36 month warranty.
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote