Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #5581
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbowers03 View Post
WOW!!! I am so jealous! Your bike looks great !!! Lot's better than mine. I am at 72,599 and it looks like it was drug behind a truck for at least half of those miles. Sprockets once, chain twice, tires-lots-, same for oil and filters, but nothing else. Same clutch, same stator, same, same , same...

I do have an R-1 shock with new spring but it's just sitting on my work bench.

I LIKE the "drug behind a truck" look.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #5582
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Took my 2012 for its first ride yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed myself - it's a very peppy machine, lots of power and very nimble!

Need to dial in the suspension, though - pretty stiff compared to the KLR!
Yep, but it's ten times the bike the old is for anything besides trails. I do miss my old and I will own another, but not at the expense of my versys. I just mounted my luggage to it last Night and can't wait for me and the missus to get away for a night.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #5583
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,597
Quote:
Took my 2012 for its first ride yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed myself - it's a very peppy machine, lots of power and very nimble!

Need to dial in the suspension, though - pretty stiff compared to the KLR!
Ride it for a bit before softening the suspension. I came off a KLR as well and thought the same thing at first. I have the exact opposite thoughts about it now.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #5584
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
I picked up a 2011 with 700 miles on monday. Got a super screaming deal on it because no one around here has even heard of a Versys.....It came with Barkbusters, SW Motech quick release racks with Givi cases, SW crash bars (new in the wrapper, not installed yet, Givi windshield, heated grips, fender extenda, and some other stuff. It didn't look like it had ever been ridden, the damn chain is even still shiny.....I, of course, took it for a 70 mile per hour gravel blast (fun on stock tires) and wheelied the piss pit of it immediately....judging by the amount of carbon on the plastic around the muffler outlet, it had not had a good workout yet.....

The only changes I have planned are to wear out the tires and switch to something shinko 705 ish (I haven't checked what is available in Versys sizing), and get a seat concepts seat. I love this bike, I was originally Strom shopping, but I am glad I went with the Versys.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #5585
outagas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Negativity!

having been riding bikes for over 25 years and in that time all the bikes ive owned have been Kawasaki`s, absolutely loved them most of my life and to name just the last 10 years worth,
ZXR750H2 (race tuned)
ZRX1100 C4 Eddie Lawson rep (bought new in 2000) stage 3 tuned with ZZR1100 cams and dyno kit (96bhp standard increased to 136bhp )

sold the ZRX 2 years ago as I thought i was leaving bikes.
last year a job change came along and i bought a Versys 2010 with 1700 miles on it, in pristine condition.

I bought from a Kawasaki dealer as they were not far away from private sales prices.

I instantly was commuting 600 miles a week, motorway and non motorway and quickly realized it didnt like sitting at a steady speed due to a fueling issue.

cut a long story short the dealer played around with the throttle position sensor but the trade off was 15mpg and although better it didn't solve the surging completely.

Kawasaki themselves although admitting there is a fault with some refused to do anything because the emissions of my bike were within limits.

the running problems aside I was unhappy with the overall build quality.

the plastic panels were so thin and flexible I thought they would fall off.

the suspension while leaning was very unnerving and was a hard ride.

although the tall screen did a good job of keeping me out of the wind the amount of water that hit me when raining was ridiculous.

the seat wasnt much good as id end up slipping forward and squeezing my crown jewels.

compared to all the other Ks ive owned and ridden I found the Versys to be a very poor effort and a bike that was definitely built to a budget.

adding the final insult was kawasakis attitude to myself having spent what must be over 25 grand in my life on Kawasakis.

as a result i will never buy or own another Kawasaki.

after 3-4 months of unhappy ownership I part exchanged the Versys for a brand new 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 and it was by far the best choice i have made in bikes.

considering when the Versys was new it cost just 500 pounds less than what a new Tiger costs RRP it goes to show how cheap and tacky the Versys is.

the Tiger is so far ahead its amazing!

build quality is superior, the ride is leagues above the Versys.

and considering the Tiger is 150cc bigger the fuel consumption is so much better.
the Versys gave me 42mpg if i was really careful and didnt go over 65mph, as were im getting 55mpg consistently from the Tiger with speeds upto 75mph doing exactly the same journey on the same roads.

The Tiger is just simply in a different class, so far ahead of the Versys.

rgds Lee.
outagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #5586
rlbowers03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
But somehow that New Tiger left you with enough free time to come post comments on the Versys Owners page. I would think that you would be over on Tiger Time ranting about how Grrrrrreeeeaat.... the new bike is.
This is my 11th bike (Honda's, Suzuki's including 2 Hayabusas , and 1 Yamaha) This bike is the best bang for the buck EVER. 73,000 miles so far and I would buy another one just like it.

Are you trying to convince ALL of us Versys owners that the Tiger is a better bike? Or are you trying to convince yourself?

I'm just sayin' ... Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

83,500 miles and counting
rlbowers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #5587
cafecycle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New Versys owner

Just picked up a new 2012 Versys from a local dealer who had it on closeout. Would appreciate suggestions on good mods, hard bags suggestions, or other good all around information on the Versys.

Thanks...
cafecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #5588
outagas
Adventurer

Rlbowers03, apologies as I've clearly offended you and your marvellous bike, sarcasm was really needed!
If you think I went out and spent 4k on a bike to instantly dislike it and then get shot of it in less than 4 months, oh and then to seek you and your fellow Versys lovers out to spend several hours reading people's opinions only to slate it? Well that seems like an exhausting waste of time? Would you not agree!

In actual fact I read with interest because at one time albeit for a short time I did like it very much!

I was keen to understand what others thought!

But if proof is needed I suggest you look at the Versys.co.uk site for some extensive reading as for one I am not alone in my opinion and 2nd there are many people with similar reports to mine, in addition the Kawasaki dealer network and big K themselves are aware!

My frustration lies with the dealers and big K themselves!

However I fear you may have detailed a reason for not agreeing with some of my findings?
Prior to the Versys my ZRX1100 was the last new bike I purchased in 2000, and that was built like a tank and of very high quality, so much so that when I sold it last year it was in showroom condition and fetched an unparalleled price!

In 12 years I believe the build quality has declined and all the emissions control has had a significant effect in my absence of modern bikes!

I feel that maybe your ownership of 10 bikes has slowly filtered what you have experienced with this decline and it has been far more a subtle process for you!

However I will say that the Tiger has restored my faith as it is leagues ahead in build quietly!

I won't reply any further as its not what the thread is for!

Rgds Lee
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #5589
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by outagas View Post
having been riding bikes for over 25 years and in that time all the bikes ive owned have been Kawasaki`s, absolutely loved them most of my life and to name just the last 10 years worth,
ZXR750H2 (race tuned)
ZRX1100 C4 Eddie Lawson rep (bought new in 2000) stage 3 tuned with ZZR1100 cams and dyno kit (96bhp standard increased to 136bhp )

sold the ZRX 2 years ago as I thought i was leaving bikes.
last year a job change came along and i bought a Versys 2010 with 1700 miles on it, in pristine condition.

I bought from a Kawasaki dealer as they were not far away from private sales prices.

I instantly was commuting 600 miles a week, motorway and non motorway and quickly realized it didnt like sitting at a steady speed due to a fueling issue.

cut a long story short the dealer played around with the throttle position sensor but the trade off was 15mpg and although better it didn't solve the surging completely.

Kawasaki themselves although admitting there is a fault with some refused to do anything because the emissions of my bike were within limits.

the running problems aside I was unhappy with the overall build quality.

the plastic panels were so thin and flexible I thought they would fall off.

the suspension while leaning was very unnerving and was a hard ride.

although the tall screen did a good job of keeping me out of the wind the amount of water that hit me when raining was ridiculous.

the seat wasnt much good as id end up slipping forward and squeezing my crown jewels.

compared to all the other Ks ive owned and ridden I found the Versys to be a very poor effort and a bike that was definitely built to a budget.

adding the final insult was kawasakis attitude to myself having spent what must be over 25 grand in my life on Kawasakis.

as a result i will never buy or own another Kawasaki.

after 3-4 months of unhappy ownership I part exchanged the Versys for a brand new 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 and it was by far the best choice i have made in bikes.

considering when the Versys was new it cost just 500 pounds less than what a new Tiger costs RRP it goes to show how cheap and tacky the Versys is.

the Tiger is so far ahead its amazing!

build quality is superior, the ride is leagues above the Versys.

and considering the Tiger is 150cc bigger the fuel consumption is so much better.
the Versys gave me 42mpg if i was really careful and didnt go over 65mph, as were im getting 55mpg consistently from the Tiger with speeds upto 75mph doing exactly the same journey on the same roads.

The Tiger is just simply in a different class, so far ahead of the Versys.

rgds Lee.
So I can get a 3 cylinder tiger somewhere for $4800 bucks?

Sweet. Tell me where.

I have seen non-current Versys models for as low as $4,800. Plenty of others in the low five grand range. Is that the case with the tiger apparently? couple hundred difference is all?

wow... educate me, cause I am not sure about that....

I am always suspicious of someone that "moved on" to a "better bike" yet comes back to peruse 376 pages of a Versys thread just to come back and bash the bike?

Are you sure you like the Tiger better, really?

Seems you may be having separation anxiety if you come back to hang here. Just sayin.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #5590
outagas
Adventurer

Unstable! Just to clarify, the versys was a 2010 plate (year) model and was 2 years (just) old when I bought it for 4 thousand UK pounds!

The tiger I bought new this year on the day 13 plates were released (1st march) and the RRP is £7500 ( I part exchanged the Versys and got around half the value of the new Tiger) plus extras on the Tiger and had two different dealerships bidding for my money which drove the deal down to around £1400 off the RRP!

So I was very happy, deals can be done if you are willing to walk away!

And although I've always done my own servicing I have a two year warranty a new bike and they hold there value so well I'm considering chopping in for new again in 12-18 months time!

Hope that is clearer!

Lee!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #5591
outagas
Adventurer

Sorry I didn't read the rest of your multi coloured rainbow Peter and Jane text! (Wonder if your bikes as colourful)?

As stated I read with interest others reports and findings!

Didnt realise there was a law against returning to read about old bikes!

But then I've seen it all before, some peod really can get upset at the first sign of negativity towards there beloved machine especially in such a positive 300+ pages!

Strange really? I've always read reviews and articles about a product before buying but unfortunately only found such unbelievably artificially fake threads only starting how good it was!

I'd of been glad if I'd found a few more threads stating the plethora of problems lots of people Experianced !

I've always found honest mixed reviews to be more reliable as opposed to people that clearly have to convince themselves something is good, I guess it's that syndrome of refusing to believe the truth!

I don't believe any Vetsys owner can declare the plastic panels and there stupid fixing points are of adequate quality?

And the headlight for nighttime winter riding on motorways! Well, minors lamp comes to mind, a lot better after fitting a 65/100 watt non road bulb but in comparison the Tigers lights are phenominal ! Even though I fitted the extra fogs just for the look of them!

I'm not trying to attend anyone! I just wanted to add my own personal Experiance!
I should have thought first that its bound to upset some of those that have convinced themselves all those problems are not really there!
I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry!

I would have been willing to accept I'd bought a lemon! However after finding 4 other people and talking to them and discussing very similar problems and then finding the versys.co.uk forum and all the threads reporting the same problem I became convince that my bike was clearly built on a Friday afternoon however there seems to be a lot others were built on the same day!

Kawasaki are aware of the fuelling problem and the annoying squeaks that haunt this bike which stems from poor fitting panels, however they won't do anything about it because they saw fit to build it with an un-adjustable ECU! Unlike the Tiger were with the aid of a £20 lead ECU maps are freely downloadable!

This was my Experiance! I'm not forcing it on anyone however you've seen fit to attack my remarks with sarchasum in a bid to quash my remarks as drivel!

Your reaction speaks volumes!

Good luck with your Versys, I'm happy for you that your happy, the one thing we all have in common is we love motorcycling so lets just agree to disagree!

There are people including Kawasaki dealer staff that have been genuinely interested in my coments as I was a high Milage rider having put 7000 miles on the Versys in 3 months and they saw that as a good bit of proof testing!

No offence meant and none taken, happy motorcycling and keep the shiny side up! And who knows after 20,000 miles on the Triumph I may be saying the same Lol!
But I dought it as its all good after 4500 miles since march!

Rgds Lee
Old 05-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #5592
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Very nice!

What handguards are those?

KTM990 SMT guards.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #5593
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbowers03 View Post
This bike is the best bang for the buck EVER. 73,000 miles so far and I would buy another one just like it.
a 73K endorsement of your battle tested beast understandably carries more weight than a dude with a screwed up TPS adjustment.

the TPS adjustment, although the need is an absolute rarity with this Ptwin motor, can be performed per service manual recipe by anyone with a brain in their head...and a voltmeter.

one of the virtues of the Versys is its proven reliability, top to bottom, front to back.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #5594
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
a 73K endorsement of your battle tested beast understandably carries more weight than a dude with a screwed up TPS adjustment.

the TPS adjustment, although the need is an absolute rarity with this Ptwin motor, can be performed per service manual recipe by anyone with a brain in their head...and a voltmeter.

one of the virtues of the Versys is its proven reliability, top to bottom, front to back.
I love my versys. best bike I have ridden actually. Perfect size for me and the missus, more than enough power, suspension is great, handling is great, only issue is with the wheels for me, I want a set of laced for venturing off highways. I know you (jdrocks) and I have talked about this before, but I think the 19" up front will help dramatically in the rough stuff. plus laced wheels can take more of a whoopin. ha ha.
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #5595
outagas
Adventurer

Tps!

The TPS adjustment was done at the dealers as I'd just spent 4k with them and they'd sold me a bike that surged its way everywhere it went! So yes the adjustment was done by them!
As for can be done by anyone with half a brain and a volt meter, I'd be careful to make such advise!
To somebody competent around multimeters and bikes No it wouldn't be an issue but make such a broad statement could sway someone into having a go and as you are probably aware significant engine damage can result from improper adjustment!

I certainly wouldn't have trouble with this process as I've been servicing and rebuilding engines for many years and have been an electronics and mechanical engineer for as long as I've been riding bikes!

The surging from poor fuelling is not an isolated incident! I've spoken to many people that have experienced this problem in varying degrees, including 3 members of staff at the Kawasaki dealership were I bought it!

Again this was my experience and I chose to share it! Clearly it was information that was unwanted and offended some!

If your happy with yours that great, why you feel the need to jump in and defend it only suggests your trying to convince there are not any problems which is suspect in the least!

My Tiger has already had a recal for indicator storks breaking! But I'm glad Triumph see fit to address there problems even though it only affects a small number of machines! Shame Kawasaki couldn't do the same!