User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #5701
everready
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Hutch,

Please tell me that big crate you're towing is really a cooler full of beer!!

everready screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 02:49 PM
everready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #5702
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by everready View Post
Hutch,

Please tell me that big crate your towing is really a cooler full of beer!!
Welcome!

Its full of eggs, look at the suspension!

Proof we are all different, the opposite of a nekkid bike!
David
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #5703
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by manx_20 View Post
First I'll start by saying I'm no mechanic, I just ride 'em. Second, I didn't have the shop put too much time into it so its not like they took the thing apart to make a thorough assessment, I knew it was bad because in all the time it has never given me a single problem. So the way it was acting on my last trip home from work and that it wouldn't start at all the next day gave me enough clue. They said I blew oil out of the head in right past the exhaust, which tells them a problem with the valves combined with the mileage were probably the cause. They also asked me if I used fuel stabilizer which I never did, and they said that ethanol wear was also likely cause of valve failure.

Once I get the bike back from them I want to take it apart and I'll take some pics for you guys. In the mean time I emailed Kawasaki, my warranty expired in March and I'm hoping they will help me out in someway. I've heard that they tent to be rather customer friendly.

As for whats the next bike will be? I would really like to try out something different. However, I use this to get to work daily, year round, save for the snow/ice days. My commute is 140 miles round trip so many factors need to be satisfied such as handling on highway just as well as in Manhattan while trying not to get killed by cabbies, it has to be relatively small and narrow so that I can lane split Manhattan rush hour traffic. Once I'm off of that awful island most of my ride home is pretty smooth sailing. It has to be comfortable. It has to be super reliable. It has to be cheap to maintain/fix which pretty much excludes anything other then a Japanese bike. And decent mileage is helpful too.

The Versys fit all those points perfectly. Even with a dented from rim (again gift from Manhattan), it rode perfectly. Three years ago when I got this bike I did about a month of research and Versys was the only one to meet all requirements. I haven't looked for anything yet but seeing what the latest offering were at this years motorcycle show I'm going to guess that the Versys is still the only bike that will be completely useful to me.
Honda NC700X ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #5704
ToasterTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch4424 View Post
Have browsed many blogs for awhile just starting to post and get more involved in the motorcycle community. A couple trips already this year, one to Louis and Clark Reservoir and one out to Lake McConaughy this last weekend (no Lake Mac pics unfortunately) rode up to meet up with some off-road jeep buddies that were camping out there. Got my versys used in 2009 with 1700miles and have really enjoyed it. Im from Lincoln Nebraska.
Curious about your set up- How much weight are you towing? and how are you attaching it to your bike? Did you make the trailer or is it something commercially available? Fuel mileage? I have the same blue 2009 w/ 22K Miles and love it!

Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #5705
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 274
Welcome Hutch4424. That is an awesome looking trailer. I'm guessing your either a metal fabricator of some sort or a semi truck driver. I tried to make a similar one wheeled trailer but it was not designed right an was too dangerous to use. I gave up on it after it flipped over a few times and felt like it was fighting the bike the whole time. I too used the rear axle for the hinge mount. I think that part was ok, but the trailer wasn't designed right.
Do you have plans to make and sell them? Or sell the plans? Just asking cause I know that's what everyone else is thinking. If not, more detailed pics would be way cool. Thanks, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #5706
Hutch4424
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterTech View Post
Curious about your set up- How much weight are you towing? and how are you attaching it to your bike? Did you make the trailer or is it something commercially available? Fuel mileage? I have the same blue 2009 w/ 22K Miles and love it!

Thanks
I built the trailer from some scrap workout machine i had. I basically tried to keep the weight fairly low on the trip up, about 4 hours, just packing large bulky items that were low in weight and keep the heavy stuff in the side boxes. I put more weight in the trailer on the way back and it was fine. Seemed to keep up better mpg than loaded and riding double I assume wind resistance. Pulling a trailer definitely takes some getting used to (wind, stopping ect) but its actually a lot of the dynamics you get when pulling a trailer with a vehicle. The mounting system was the more difficult process, i had a metal company build me some metal extensions that replace the axle blocks out the back and the trailer slips over and pin goes through. Here's a pic from when I had my bike modded. You can see the width is off very slightly, I was going to tack some width on and grind it down to exact but haven't gotten there. The way the trailer slips over it is very solid.IMG_0161
Hutch4424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #5707
ToasterTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hutch4424 your set up is impressive, my initial impression would be that the versys is too light and small for towing duty. Glad to see it working well, thanks for the response.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #5708
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Honda NC700X ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that a TKC 120x17 on the front of that Honda?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #5709
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
"total compression loss"

Is a broken or jumped timing chain.

A bent or swallowed valve would only result in compression loss in one cylinder.

The repair shop is fulla sh*t. Ethanol or gas stabilizer have nothing to do with your problem. I understand you are just going to replace the bike and that is fine. They are BSing you or do not know what is really wrong. It may not even be "Total compression loss" I can't tell from here.

You have one heck of a commute. I ride my V for the same reason. I also have an R1200R but don't want to ride it to work daily, so the V takes over. Its a blast to ride a light quick sort of intense bike to work, then fire up the 1200 on the weekends and for trips.

Good luck
David
I've been going to them for years and bought a ton of stuff there. I don't think they making it up. They didn't go CSI on it because when i brought it in I had a feeling that it wasn't good and just asked them to see why it wont start. They just gave me a list of possible causes. I'm going to get the bike back tomorrow. Like I said I'm no mechanic but I can certainly take things apart so I'll dig into it myself and see if I can find an obvious cause.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #5710
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
..... I'm no mechanic but I can certainly take things apart so I'll dig into it myself and see if I can find an obvious cause.
Pics would be GREAT, also, how often did you change the oil, what oil did you use, how many times did you check/adjust the valves, anything you can share, it would help those of us who will be keeping our Versys long term. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #5711
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 274

Nortwestrider, How do you like your NC700x? I'm considering it as my next bike. Thoughts comparing it to the Versys? Love the frunk and better mileage, power band down where I usually ride the Versys anyway, lower center of gravity even though it weights more then a Versys, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #5712
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Pics would be GREAT, also, how often did you change the oil, what oil did you use, how many times did you check/adjust the valves, anything you can share, it would help those of us who will be keeping our Versys long term. Thanks.
ok here goes
- oil was changed every 4k to 5k miles
- oil used either kawasaki oil or if I couldn't get to the shop when they were open I would use Castrol motorcycle oil found at Autozone which practically never closes
- oil filter was the kawasaki filter - i'd buy a few at a time for the reason above.
- valve clearances were checked with just about every tire change so between 11k and 13k miles
- spark plugs were changed once
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #5713
G.Smiley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterTech View Post

Thanks
If you are interested in a really simple, easy to tow trailor with good capacity, check out Third Wheel Trailers. Really good people (like most of my friends otherwise they wouldn't be!). Best design for handling, great through the curves and a well engineered hitch.
http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/
G.Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #5714
G.Smiley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Fixed it can be. However, they quoted me for 5 parts that they knew would be needed and the labor to the tune of $2600. It wouldn't be very wise of me to put what is about a third of the cost of a new bike into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

They quoted for parts and labour but don't know what is broken??? Are they serious? Do they think that all riders are gullible?

I'd advise you to take the V elsewhere. Ask around, there might be better options. I would've run the minute they asked about fuel stabilizer.
G.Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #5715
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
Easy fellas, The owner is replacing the bike. He is OK with things now.

No sense in roasting the dealer, he only asked for an idea and that is what he got.

David