Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #5716
everready
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by manx_20 View Post
I've been going to them for years and bought a ton of stuff there. I don't think they making it up. They didn't go CSI on it because when i brought it in I had a feeling that it wasn't good and just asked them to see why it wont start. They just gave me a list of possible causes. I'm going to get the bike back tomorrow. Like I said I'm no mechanic but I can certainly take things apart so I'll dig into it myself and see if I can find an obvious cause.
A few tips for you:

Work without distraction.
Keep your work area clean and well lit and organized.
Take a LOT of pictures.
Bag and label parts and store them logically.
Don't drink until after you're done for the day.
Take your time.

Do you have a Clymer for your bike? I'd probably buy one........

Good luck,
Al
everready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #5717
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by everready View Post
A few tips for you:

Work without distraction.
Keep your work area clean and well lit and organized.
Take a LOT of pictures.
Bag and label parts and store them logically.
Don't drink until after you're done for the day.
Take your time.

Do you have a Clymer for your bike? I'd probably buy one........

Good luck,
Al
That one might be tough

Like David pointed to above. I asked the shop for minimal work and some ideas and that's exactly what they did. I've been going there for years and its even gotten to the point where the older head mechanic there habitually gives me a stern talkin to about riding till my chain drags on the floor and my tires look something like this. They're not a bad shop just going on what information they have at hand. I should mention that they were happy to point out that its most likely cheaper and a better bet to find a good engine with lower mileage which they would be willing to do the swap for me.

manx_20 screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 08:47 PM
manx_20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #5718
ToasterTech
Working for the Man

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Smiley View Post
If you are interested in a really simple, easy to tow trailor with good capacity, check out Third Wheel Trailers. Really good people (like most of my friends otherwise they wouldn't be!). Best design for handling, great through the curves and a well engineered hitch.
http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/

Thanks, nice looking trailers. Seems like with a trailer, there would be very little reason to drive a car for running errands!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #5719
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by manx_20 View Post
ok here goes
- oil was changed every 4k to 5k miles
- oil used either kawasaki oil or if I couldn't get to the shop when they were open I would use Castrol motorcycle oil found at Autozone which practically never closes
- oil filter was the kawasaki filter - i'd buy a few at a time for the reason above.
- valve clearances were checked with just about every tire change so between 11k and 13k miles
- spark plugs were changed once
Man, sounds like you did your part. I wonder if there are any Ninja's with failure around the same mileage?

I know there is somebody in here with over 70K on a Versys, but that's all I can think of.

This sucks.

Best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #5720
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Sounds silly but: getting on the thing!?

A local dealer has a 2009 Versys available. I've been mulling over a 250cc class machine but this seemed like an attractive alternative at around the same price as a new 250.

I'm 70 years of age, 6' tall, and in decent condition but I could not swing my leg up high enough to get on the bike. I was mortified. I cannot imagine how those with saddle bags or top cases can do so.

Do many of you get on as if you were getting on a horse and step on the footpeg for assistance? I did not try that as it seemed like asking for a quick way to tip the bike over but it seems to be the only alternative.

Is there a trick I am unaware of?

Really curious.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #5721
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Speedy's lowering kit will lower it about 1 1/2"

http://shop.motowerk.com/Standard-Lo...-LK-STD-R2.htm
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #5722
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
A local dealer has a 2009 Versys available. I've been mulling over a 250cc class machine but this seemed like an attractive alternative at around the same price as a new 250.

I'm 70 years of age, 6' tall, and in decent condition but I could not swing my leg up high enough to get on the bike. I was mortified. I cannot imagine how those with saddle bags or top cases can do so.

Do many of you get on as if you were getting on a horse and step on the footpeg for assistance? I did not try that as it seemed like asking for a quick way to tip the bike over but it seems to be the only alternative.

Really curious.

Ned
Have you tried bending your leg and putting your knee over then just drag the rest of your leg over? It's doesn't look graceful but it gets the job done. BTW saddle bags ain't bad but I don't use my top case for this reason.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #5723
Neckrom
What was that!

Oddometer: 112
Quote:

Really curious.

Ned
I actually have my bike raised up about an inch and a half due to the mods I put on. I am 6ft tall and can touch fine when on the bike but I have the same issue mounting and dismounting. I do as you suggested and stand on the footpeg and then just raise my other leg over. It works like a charm and I have not had any problems. I actually started doing it on my KLX also just because its so easy. No stretching, kicking, running, nut hopping. Just an easy up and over.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #5724
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
I am only 52. If anything is on the rear seat, horse mount works fine. Side stand Is plenty strong.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #5725
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I appreciate the replies.

Appears it would be worthwhile to have another look at the machine.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #5726
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
I appreciate the replies.

Appears it would be worthwhile to have another look at the machine.

Ned
Being 6ft tall it may be a bit crowded. I'm 5'11" and had the seat raised and the
"pocket" moved back, it's perfect now. But my son is 6'5" and it was fine for him stock. It's my favorite bike!

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #5727
ToasterTech
Working for the Man

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckrom View Post
I actually have my bike raised up about an inch and a half due to the mods I put on. I am 6ft tall and can touch fine when on the bike but I have the same issue mounting and dismounting. I do as you suggested and stand on the footpeg and then just raise my other leg over. It works like a charm and I have not had any problems. I actually started doing it on my KLX also just because its so easy. No stretching, kicking, running, nut hopping. Just an easy up and over.
+1 I'm 6'1", started doing it on all my dirt bikes unless the ground is real soft, it just easier. BTW lowering the foot pegs and inch, raising the handle bars an inch and installing a Seat Concepts seat made the bike much more comfortable for all day riding. I have ridden single track to interstate and everything in between.... all in the same day. It is my favorite bike!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #5728
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
I usually get on foot first right thru the seat area. You can also get a different seat that is lower cut than the stock. My Corbin is a bit lower than stock and makes a big difference .

Good luck! I hope to be still riding at 70!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #5729
Gizzaride
Banned

Oddometer: 191
Thumb Reply from a youngster!!!

Well I'm a sprightly 61 yr old with a hip displacement (will need a hip surgery/replacement at some time) & I seemed to have a bigger problem with the KLR I had than the Versys I've just bought.Standing on the downside peg is quite acceptable.Here's the "1st Day on my Versys" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFOlwIrTQ0
Gizzaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #5730
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzaride View Post
Well I'm a sprightly 61 yr old with a hip displacement (will need a hip surgery/replacement at some time) & I seemed to have a bigger problem with the KLR I had than the Versys I've just bought.Standing on the downside peg is quite acceptable.Here's the "1st Day on my Versys" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFOlwIrTQ0
I'm pretty sure you were not properly ATGATT even while washing your new bike.