Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #616
Baddone
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle
Any of you Versys owners notice this? The little black cover on top of the tail light keeps popping loose. It just snaps in place, but doesn't want to stay that way. I've even gone as far as taking off the seat, unbolting the handles & tried to line things up better, but that didn't help. Any one else having this issue?

Take a look:
It looks like the tabs are not lining up right. I had a little problem getting mine back on when I did my homemade plate relocate. Try putting it back on and make sure the front tabs are in good or check and see if they are broke.
Baddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #617
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle
Any of you Versys owners notice this? The little black cover on top of the tail light keeps popping loose. It just snaps in place, but doesn't want to stay that way. I've even gone as far as taking off the seat, unbolting the handles & tried to line things up better, but that didn't help. Any one else having this issue?
I noticed one side of mine has lifted up and I haven't been able to get it to go back down. Of course, I didn't notice it until after I had dropped the bike one day, so I figured it was related and haven't worried much about it.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #618
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,101
I don't have that problem, but when I installed the rack for the Givi tailbag, and lifted the seat, I noticed that the 2 plastics (orange in my case) underneath the seat lost the back plastic fasteners. They are supposed to be hold in place only by 2 fasteners, makes me think that I didn't have them to start with, because I can't explain how come both came off
Although this didn't stop me from enjoying the bike, I tell myself that if this is a problem, than that's okay by me.

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:14 AM   #619
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
What a problem to have.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #620
Deel
Over Hill - Thru Woods

Oddometer: 9
Versys Gearbox observation/query

Have about 1300 miles on the V now. Outstanding bike in all respects - handling, comfort, power . . . I enjoy it more, it seems, each time I ride.

From day one I have noticed that the up-shifts from gears 1-2-3 are significantly more "clunky" than 4-5-6.

I was expecting that this may ebb away over time/break-in, however, it remains about the same.

Has anyone else experienced/observed this? Is this a problem, or just the way the tranny on the V operates?
Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #621
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
The clunky gaerbox seems to be a common thing on the Versys. I've read about it on a few forums. Mine is clunky as well...
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #622
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Maybe the clutch needs adjusting. Mine is smooth. Works just as good as the 07 Gixxer 600 that I rode this morning and better then a lot of other bikes I have owned.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #623
ManVersysNature
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deel
Have about 1300 miles on the V now. Outstanding bike in all respects - handling, comfort, power . . . I enjoy it more, it seems, each time I ride.

From day one I have noticed that the up-shifts from gears 1-2-3 are significantly more "clunky" than 4-5-6.

I was expecting that this may ebb away over time/break-in, however, it remains about the same.

Has anyone else experienced/observed this? Is this a problem, or just the way the tranny on the V operates?

I have the same amount of mileage. The gearbox is very precise and I have never had a false neutral, grinding, or missed a shift but yes it takes a little more effort than I would like and clunks a tad.

What I really hate about the Versys is that damn high idle circuit. I would love to know if anyone else is annoyed by the high idle when starting and if there is a fix. I know it is to warm up the engine and resist cold starting stalls but geeze does it have to idle high for what seems like an eternity?
Sometimes I just ride off anyway and it sucks riding a bike trying to idle at 2000 plus RPMs.

Other than that I love this bike.
ManVersysNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #624
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Tranny???

At near 6000 miles, I would describe the gear box as Crisp as a fresh head of lettuce. My only complaint is, I would like to have a heal shifter (cruiser style) and I will soon. Just a personal preference I guess. I also would like to have a wider range with the top end a little higher. i ofter find myself lookinf for one click higher. Not willing so sacrifice on the low side though...stuck!
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #625
Deel
Over Hill - Thru Woods

Oddometer: 9
7th

Yes, I have also, on many occasions, grabbed the clutch and sought for 7th. The mid range torque is so good even in 6th that it just feels like there should be a 7th waiting up there . . . When you've got roll on power available out of a curve like the Versys does, even in 6th! it just begs for a 7th . . . (that may present jail time however, since 6th will already get you in plenty of trouble on the speed front)

To follow up on my earlier query about gearbox "Clunk" - or better phrased "crispness" - Is it a common experience that the lower gears are more prone to this than the higher?
Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #626
PanamaPaul
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wink Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Okay, we're starting to get a few around here, so let's get a head count.
Edit time. Here's the owners list. Forty five so far.
Add me too the list-----PanamaPaul.

pilot
Gustavo
Windchill
Mr. Whiskers
RideAbout
Priare Dog
TAPnTX
llamapacker
Rambo
mk940
cb4017
hunting1
UTCiv
Gaston Gagne
2xadv
c881
Hunter Son
UmberHand
Guesswork
Red Cat
Bycharlie
williamt.
Beemer Mike
Bikeaddict
LeanIntuit
Davidweed
Roughrider Maximus
Allriding
Taurkon
Bug One
mdaniels
Canyonwlf7
Machog
Budleighboy
Andreas H.
Invader
Fever Dog
Moto Ed
Drjones
ManVersysNature
Predictive
Bat Boy
Kujo54
Klrthumper
Bushrider
Killyman
5ive
andreas h.
Add me --PanamaPaul
PanamaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #627
KDHawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Anyone in NYC have one? I've been lusting after a Versys since the Bike Show. I'd have to wait at least a year to get one, given my budget. My friends sniff at it a bit, but I think it'd be the perfect city commuter/weekend tourer for someone who can only have one bike.

KD
'89 Hawk GT NT650
KDHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #628
Bubleconomy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHawk
Anyone in NYC have one? I've been lusting after a Versys since the Bike Show. I'd have to wait at least a year to get one, given my budget. My friends sniff at it a bit, but I think it'd be the perfect city commuter/weekend tourer for someone who can only have one bike.

KD
'89 Hawk GT NT650
KDHawk - I am picking mine up next week. I have the same impression on the strengths and practicability of the Versys in NYC although I'll be using mine mostly just for weekend getaways (I live and work in the city so commuting wouldn't make much sense).
Bubleconomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #629
KDHawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvr11
KDHawk - I am picking mine up next week. I have the same impression on the strengths and practicability of the Versys in NYC although I'll be using mine mostly just for weekend getaways (I live and work in the city so commuting wouldn't make much sense).
Which dealer did you purchase it from?

I live and work in the city as well, but sometimes it just feels better to take the bike instead of cramming myself on the 6 train. :)
KDHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #630
Bubleconomy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHawk
Which dealer did you purchase it from?

I live and work in the city as well, but sometimes it just feels better to take the bike instead of cramming myself on the 6 train. :)
I'm picking it up from Camrod. They've got one on the floor now...it'd be worth going over to take a look even if you think you're going to hold off for a while (just leave your wallet and credit cards at home).
Bubleconomy is offline   Reply With Quote