william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #647
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deel
Evening B.O.A.B. . . .

Your flipped and decaled windscreen looks great!

Tell us a bit more about the results you get from the flip . . .??? Significantly less wind flowing onto the helmet??? Quieter?? less buffeting???
All of that and it's free.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #648
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyman
What happened to yours?
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=3028.0
Old 04-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #649
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
William?

Go ahead and spill it. Did you trash your ride? Give up the details with photos?
If so, sure hope only the machine was bruised...You may recall my post, i got my versys on Ebay @ $5,400.00 with some extras and only 400 miles. keep your eyes open, I saw another simular trade since...
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #650
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #651
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Ugly!

What a fine mess you've made their. Insurance? Hope your not out of busines to long, we all appreciate you post. Stay well!
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #652
william t.
Studly Adventurer

They came and looked at it yesterday ,maybe I will know something today.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #653
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
They came and looked at it yesterday ,maybe I will know something today.
hang in there, it's just plastic and metal. You're okay and this is what counts

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #654
Ko
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deel
Evening B.O.A.B. . . .

Your flipped and decaled windscreen looks great!

Tell us a bit more about the results you get from the flip . . .??? Significantly less wind flowing onto the helmet??? Quieter?? less buffeting???
That's my summer mode, original screen upside down,it's quieter because you're in the airflow. Try standing on the pegs with the screen in the original position. You'll find out how it feels if you were to flip it upside down.
For cold/wet riding conditions I enjoy the Givi screen, the airflow hits the top of my helmet, quiet and no buffeting whatsoever.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #655
scottymx48
I'd rather walk..

Oddometer: 28
Looks like some real damage there, but glad to see you can walk away from it. Has anyone tested out the Happy Trail Engine Guards yet? I wonder how much protection they would really offer in a case like yours. Thunder Bike has a very nice V shape style that extends further out and offers much more protection...anyone good with fabrication could make a killing to fill this need.

scottymx48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #656
alexp206
Libraryator

Oddometer: 48
I found that with the windscreen in the middle position the buffeting wasn't too bad but the wind hit me right in the throat. Moving it up to the top position put it hitting my square in the face and cause more buffeting. Flipping it over didn't particularly decrease the volume hitting me in the face, but it did calm down a lot of the buffeting.
alexp206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #657
william t.
Studly Adventurer

That crash bar would be of little use in a major crash. My Versys slide across the road and then flipped into a bank. When it passed me up I knew it was a bad day.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #658
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,745
I didn't know you were Mountain Rider over there. Keep us up on what the damage works out to be.

On a better note, I rode mine to Texas this past weekend. A little over 2000 miles all together. Including 1017 yesterday from south of San Antonio to KC in fifteen hours. I'm thinking I need to do something about the seat I thought was comfy. :

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #659
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Has anyone tested out the Happy Trail Engine Guards yet?
I have the Happy Trails stuff and although it is good stuff and would help some, if it's doing flips not sure would have helped. Atleats you are ok!

Quote:
On a better note, I rode mine to Texas this past weekend. A little over 2000 miles all together. Including 1017 yesterday from south of San Antonio to KC in fifteen hours. I'm thinking I need to do something about the seat I thought was comfy. :
After riding from Albuquerque, to Big Bend and back I said the same thing! I think I would have been sore on any bike though after 1800-miles.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #660
Ko
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymx48
Looks like some real damage there, but glad to see you can walk away from it. Has anyone tested out the Happy Trail Engine Guards yet? I wonder how much protection they would really offer in a case like yours. Thunder Bike has a very nice V shape style that extends further out and offers much more protection...anyone good with fabrication could make a killing to fill this need.

Last winter I had a mild low-side of my own on ice, these crash-bars or the HB ones will do verry little to protect the bike. In my case the scratched (just a bit) parts were: end-bar, clutch cover, the radiator cover, and the area on the fairing around that screw with a spacer, the middle one kind of.
Have to mention though that the handle bars were turned left.

Happy Trails or HB are not sticking out enough to cover the fairings, nor the lower engine parts/clutch/alternator, their job is taking care of the radiator. Given the width of the handlebars I think (i.e. not tested/sure) that the radiator stays somewhat tucked in, although it seems to stick out quite a bit. Off road a low side like this could be different based on different scenarios.

So based on my experience (unfortunate), SW Motech are doing a better job in a low side by protecting the lower areas, the ones most likely to take a hit in any case (my problem was not having them back then).

The problem I have is with the fairing, was wondering why no one is making something to go up a bit and maybe use that famous screw in the fairing with a rubber damper of sorts ? Not an engineer, but I think that installing a slider (on the lower/middle part of the fairing) of sorts will put too much tension on the frame. With bars mounted in 4 points I don't see how tension can be a problem.